Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

259 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

This is the Lana album that I love the most; not because of the music itself (it's actually my second to least favorite) but for what it meant in my life. This album came out 6 days before I turned 19, and that part of my life was so much about learning and losing and fighting and crying, but still looking for the light. And Lust for Life was my soundtrack to that. Just a 19 year old guy living in a big city, I knew nobody.

I even have Change inked on my arm, in the Lust for Life font.

Thoughts on each song:

Spoiler

Love

This is actually the only Lana lead single that disappointed me lol. I hated the production and lyrics, but I still believed there was better stuff to come. I believe it's my least favorite Lana Del Rey song.

Lust for Life

As unpopular as this opinion might be, I really love this song, and I love The Weeknd in it. I love their friendship and the music they make together. It's such a great happy Lana song, and we should appreciate that. I love the whispers, the little piano, the beat, and the lyrics! I also adore the video.

13 Beaches

Now this is high quality. The lyrics are insane. Great melody, production and a smooth transition into a darker side of the album.

Cherry

This song became a Lana Del Rey classic and it wasn't even a single. It's such a fucking banger, and the ultimate defintion of "sad twerking", lmao. The lyrics are dramatic, the chorus is timeless and all the vocal layers are as witchy as the theme. It's always a collapse when it plays. Her best trap song.

White Mustang

Underrated gem. I see Cherry and White Mustang as twins, with the former being what Lana felt regarding a certain situation, and the latter being what actually happened (this is only a personal interpreation). I absolutely love the lyrics and I think it's one of her best pre-NFR!. The beat is great and I love her delivery. 

"Caught up in my dreams and forgettin'
I've been actin' like armageddon, 'cause you
Held me in your arms just a little too tight
That's what I thought

Summer's meant for lovin' and leavin'
I was such a fool for believin' that you
Could change all the ways you've been livin'
But you just couldn't stop"

Top notch.

Summer Bummer

I like this song, but I never come back to it. I think the lyrics are good for what they are, and I love A$AP Lana.

Groupie Love

Another unpopular opinion, but I like Groupie Love much more than Summer Bummer. I love the little love story, and Rocky's verse. Can't say no to trippy Lana.

In My Feelings

One of her worst songs ever. The production is cheap as fuck and the lyrics are terrible. The vocals and vocal production too.

Coachella Woodstock In My Mind

I must admit I joined the hate train this song caused lol. Definitely one of the most divisive moments in Lana's fandom history. But as time passed I actually really like it; I never thought the lyrics were bad. They're genius yet silly in a good way.  Production could've been better, sure, but it is what it is. The outro is actually my least favorite part.

God Bless America And All the Beautiful Women In It

This is when the album gets kinda boring. The production in this song is so bad, I hate the guitar and the cheap drum kit. The lyrics are forgettable and messy.

When the World Was at War We Kept Dancing

It's actually not that bad, but it's such an album track, and that never happens with Lana lol where almost every song could be a single. It's rather forgettable. But it's still a banger.

Beautiful People Beautiful Problems

I think it's a good song, and I like the lyrics, but I wish it wasn't so muffled. The "paper filter vocals" start to become annoying at this point lol. I liked it back then, but now she has so much better piano songs.

Tomorrow Never Came

When I listen to it, I love it. The lyrics are sooo beautiful. Not her most replayable song, but still gorgeous.

Heroin

I've never been an enormous fan of this song like everyone else, but it's definitely a mood. The lyrics are brilliant, and so are the melodies. Also one of her most cryptic songs.

Change

I looooove this song so so much. It's one of her best lyrics ever. And I love the story that she added it literally last minute on the album. This song was so important for me. It's super underrated.

Get Free

Such a statement. Excellent lyrics and melodies and vocals. For Amy and for Whitney...

Overall I think the album is a 6.5/10

THE MODERN MANIFESTO OF LUST FOR LIFE - EXPLAINED!

One of the things I figured about Lust For Life was that you can split the album's songs into 4 "EPs" (since the album has 16 tracks). First 2 EPs are combination of her older sound and aesthetics, describing the world inside Lana. Last 2 EPs are combination of her newer sound and aesthetics, describing the world outside LanaAlso I noticed that in the end of Lust For Life trailer, she said in the monologue: "Because you, and the music, and this place, are my LOVE, my LIGHT, my LUST for LIFE."

So, I split the songs into 4 "EPs" and named each "EP" after those keywords based on the themes.

EP LOVE
1. Love
2. Lust For Life
3. 13 Beaches
4. Cherry

EP LUST
1. White Mustang
2. Summer Bummer
3. Groupie Love
4. In My Feelings

EP LIGHT
1. Coachella - Woodstock In My Mind
2. God Bless America - And All The Beautiful Women In It
3. When The World Was At War We Kept Dancing
4. Beautiful People Beautiful Problems

EP LIFE
1. Tomorrow Never Came
2. Heroin
3. Change
4. Get Free

url%5D

I remember when the tracklist we announced, people were concerned about Heroin saying she needs to deliver a good song for such a title, hoping that it will not be cringy, comparing it to already existing songs with that title and claiming that it is a bold move to have a title like that and be able to fulfill the expectations. And in the end, Heroin fucking slayed the existence of every living person.

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

15 minutes ago, Let the Light In said:

I remember when the tracklist we announced, people were concerned about Heroin saying she needs to deliver a good song for such a title, hoping that it will not be cringy, comparing it to already existing songs with that title and claiming that it is a bold move to have a title like that and be able to fulfill the expectations. And in the end, Heroin fucking slayed the existence of every living person.

A career highlight. If that song flopped we would all have hated LFL :true:

I somehow missed this whole mispress thing until recently - does anybody know where to buy the 2022 mispress online and be sure it's the correct one? It's my understanding that the barcodes are the same and you only know from the "made in Poland" on the shrink-wrap. 

On 7/17/2023 at 7:43 AM, cjfinley said:

I somehow missed this whole mispress thing until recently - does anybody know where to buy the 2022 mispress online and be sure it's the correct one? It's my understanding that the barcodes are the same and you only know from the "made in Poland" on the shrink-wrap. 

I honestly just got lucky with it and ended up with a "Made In Poland" mispress somehow, so I'd just say test your luck or buy an actual listing for the made in Poland one off discogs.

Last.FM

On 7/17/2023 at 6:43 AM, cjfinley said:

Mine didn't have any "made in Poland" sign or sticker 

http://EB94-F944-4-FE0-4885-9-DE3-3-CC6-C68-A9-

The legacy

LFL hits completely different when it's hot and sunny 🥵☀️❤️🔥❤️🔥❤️🔥 Lana was so pagan the way she made an album so full and alive with heat and vitality, it's a prayer to some goddess of Summer

My favourite Lana album ever. I feel a very special connection to it, and while some things I would've definitely changed about it (I would've rather have Summer Bummer, Lust for Life and Tomorrow Never Came solo versions, and I think The Next Best American Record and Yosemite somehow fit here in my head), overall it's like my comfort album. In all its cheesiness, I really love Love both as a lead single and as a song, and 13 Beaches, Heroin and Groupie Love are career highlights for me. In my opinion is one of her most diverse albums to date.

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

HAPPY FUCKING SIXTH BIRTHDAY

MY DEAR BABY LUST FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I adore Lust For Life so much. It's my favorite album with Honeymoon, not only just Lana's but it's also my all-time favorite with Honeymoon. They're like sisters to me. This is also the album, I have studied and analysed a lot, for almost three years. My unpopular opinion about the album is that FOR ME the album is perfect as it is, just perfect as fuck. The tracklist is perfect, the songs are perfect, the production is perfect, the melodies are perfect, the lyrics are perfect, the features are perfect, the visuals are perfect, the album cover art is perfect, the music videos are perfect, the tour was perfect, the era was perfect, everything about it was perfect. I WOULDN'T change a thing about it, it was meant to be AS IT IS. People will understand that in the future. It's not cringe, not childish, not cheesy or not lighthearted. Everything about it was just so brilliant and genius about it.

The album came out when I needed it the most. This album means a lot to me, it's so special for me since it came out on a very difficult, vulnerable and overwhelming period of my life. The way how I became a stan just a day before Love came out was already a sign that the album was meant for me. But who would've known which difficult obstacles I had to face before the album was released. This album taught me about all the dangers in the world, which I could face as a vulnerable woman. But it also helped me to dream or be hopeful, which was definitely needed in those dark times.

Lust For Life is a perfect album. It's a very incredible album. A timeless masterpiece. It perfectly describes the circle of life. Or more like, for me, the album is about circle of life in a shape of her career. It tells a story of her career filled with her emotions & feelings and what have come with that, her hopes & dreams and also stories, talking about things she believed, she hoped and she learned - all of that were stitched in the melodies and lyrics together. It was also a brilliant transition from the Lana who was in Born To Die, Paradise, Ultraviolence and Honeymoon to the Lana who was in NFR, COTCC, Blue Banisters and Ocean Blvd. As I have already talked about it in this post - Lust For Life had the perfect mixture of everything - of her emotions and feelings, her hopes and dreams, her mindset and visions.

The beautiful spacey witchy aesthetics with melodies and lyrics of it combining with the sixties hippie aesthetics (with a baddie flair) also with melodies and lyrics of it created together a retro-futuristic vision which was seen and heard throughout the album, a whole new universe trying to compare people's love, lust, actions and life in the past century with the modern world and how it has changed and how it affects her. She used a lot of different sounds, experimenting them together because she wanted to merge her old sound to new sound, to create a timeless retro-futuristic alternative sound. It's more of a new coming of folktronica. Lust For Life album had a lot of amazing poetic lyrics and brilliant detailed production which is still quite overlooked. This album has also many highlights of her career!

She collaborated with people who mean a lot to her and are her idols to describe her world inside her (the first half of the album with the collaborations) and the world outside her (the second half of the album with the collaborations). I really love the so-called political songs too but I don't really consider them political because, for me, she used politics, war and the tensional time as a metaphor to describe her relationship with her career (Coachella), her fans (When The World...) and close people around her (God Bless America). I talked more about the "world inside her" and "world outside her" here too, in this theory!

6th year with Lust For Life album. It's the 6th Anniversary! Can you believe it!? Time flies like crazy! I'll never stop talking beautiful things about Lust For Life album or I'll never stop defending it. Forever. The album means a great deal to me. In today's world, it's more relevant than ever. My comfort album. The perfect transition from the old Lana to the new Lana. My favorite album with Honeymoon, I adore it forever. Lust For Life is my lust for life. Sorry of the long essay, I understand if you don't want to read it. I hope every one of you has a great day celebrating Lust For Life's 6th Birthday!

Happy Lust For Life Day!

:wink:

url%5D

Happy 6th to Lust for Life! 

There’s been much talk about the final product vs the initial concept and I won’t add anything new if I go on on the subject. 

This album means so much to me. There was so much dormant turmoil in my life at that time and this LP was the perfect soundtrack for this messy time of my 30s.

On a less personal note, this album is the soundtrack if you feel like summer “has let you down”, if you’re having a bit of “seasonal depression” from your high expectations in the spring of what you thought summer would be. 

im sure she didn’t know it at the time, and I don’t think that nobody could have predicted it at the time, but LFL might have been the first glimpse of what tomorrow would bring: a world shifting rapidly, very shaky. The “political” tracks were just general enough to still feel accurate for 2023. 

Just now, Honeytrails said:

if we only diluted this bloated record to something of about 12 songs by cutting those political songs... cut everything from in my feelings to when the world and we'd have a classic 

NOT ON HER BIRTHDAY

5 hours ago, Honeytrails said:

if we only diluted this bloated record to something of about 12 songs by cutting those political songs... cut everything from in my feelings to when the world and we'd have a classic 

Me when I show up to someone’s birthday and start talking shit about them 

Happy Birthday Lust For Life!!! Herion and Get Free are without a doubt two of her best songs ever and Cherry is one of my all time favs 

1 minute ago, Honeytrails said:

frog-eat.gif

Those people who get Lust For Life get it and who don't, they just don't :whatever2:

url%5D