Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

832 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Even though NFR isn't one of my favorite albums of hers, I'll give it one thing: California tops almost anything in her discography. This song is so high above the rest. She hadn't made a song that was this powerful in ages. The beautiful and haunting melody, the strength and subtlety of the production, the darkness and power of the atmosphere, the deep, heartbreaking lyrics, the coldness of it all mixed with such raw, such heartfelt, such emotional content, it simply blows my mind every single time I listen to it. Anyone that has met someone they loved who then went away can relate to it in the best possible way. It's so cathartic it enables the listener to find beauty in such loss. Her voice sounds both so powerful and so desperate at the end of the chorus, it never fails to hit me. I knew this would be a career highlight from the moment I heard the qobuz snippet.

46 minutes ago, salvatore said:

'shaking my ass is the only thing thats got this black narcissist off my back' 

I hate this line so much, even though I know that there's nothing wrong with it

Spoiler

I hate 60% of the words she choose to put on HIADT and that ruins the whole song experience for me

Spoiler

Actually I only like this line:

There's a new revolution, a loud evolution that I saw

Born of confusion and quiet collusion of which mostly I've known

5 minutes ago, BluebirdXO said:

Reveal hidden contents

I hate 60% of the words she choose to put on HIADT and that ruins the whole song experience for me

Hide contents

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, BluebirdXO said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

I agree completely. The lyrics ruin an otherwise sonically perfect song for me. 

No that black narcissist line was definitely questionable lol. Like at first I genuinely thought she was talking about Azealia too because it was around this time she was beefing with her. I wouldn't have thought the line was bad if there was no beef but it was just bad timing. Let's hope RCS doesn't cause too much controversy but we still need a little :creepna:

Live ♥ Laugh ♥ Lana

26 minutes ago, Bunny Mozart said:

No that black narcissist line was definitely questionable lol. Like at first I genuinely thought she was talking about Azealia too because it was around this time she was beefing with her. I wouldn't have thought the line was bad if there was no beef but it was just bad timing. Let's hope RCS doesn't cause too much controversy but we still need a little :creepna:

I think that line is inspired by Sylvia Plath’s strained relationship with her mother.

Not to hate on NFR, but the more I listen to COTCC and the more time goes by and perspective towards this album grows wider, the more it looks like a random bunch of songs (few outstanding ones -VB, Hope-, some nice ones -Bartender, MAC,NFR, HTD, FIILY- and many, many fillers and/or poorly written ones -HIAB, TG, LS, TBNAR, DT, California) casually thrown together as an album and getting a huge crittical acclaim I still cant get how came to happen apart than the album having some truly genius moments and being released at a perfect sociopolitical timing (Trumps impeachment and right before a worldwide apocallyptical pandemic, which came to set some messages on it as almost prophetic).

I love Lana and her output in a very special, compromised way, also this album, but with time Ive got to think that, as a whole, it may be her weakest one.

11 minutes ago, sjatib said:

Not to hate on NFR, but the more I listen to COTCC and the more time goes by and perspective towards this album grows wider, the more it looks like a random bunch of songs (few outstanding ones -VB, Hope-, some nice ones -Bartender, MAC,NFR, HTD, FIILY- and many, many fillers and/or poorly written ones -HIAB, TG, LS, TBNAR, DT, California) casually thrown together as an album and getting a huge crittical acclaim I still cant get how came to happen apart than the album having some truly genius moments and being released at a perfect sociopolitical timing (Trumps impeachment and right before a worldwide apocallyptical pandemic, which came to set some messages on it as almost prophetic).

I love Lana and her output in a very special, compromised way, also this album, but with time Ive got to think that, as a whole, it may be her weakest one.

I love how people are starting to come to their senses...

I feel like in 10 years this album will be as important as Paradise. Nice, but overshadowed by their cool cousins 

i honestly can't listen to this album anymore, for the time being

it brings me back to a really happy time for me (partly due to the fact there was no pandemic) and it really makes me sad

great album, but the nostalgia linked with it is too much for me

Ayg9S4A.png

I love MAC so much, it's objectively one of her best songs ever. The second pre-chorus' line You can see my heart burning in the distance with its nod to the album's cover with the burning in the background almost always makes me head over to Violet and listen to LA Who Am I to Love You afterwards and it all just fits so perfectly together I could cry. :lange:

When Thunder leaked, I compared its bridge to The greatest's burn out. Fire and burning have always been used stylistically for passion. So in a way and very indirectly she tells us with the cover not only about her awareness of environmental issues, but also how much she still loves the city despite the complex relationship she shares with it. :krylie::oprah::oprah2::trisha:

Probably reaching and it also could have already been talked about here. It nonetheless makes me so happy to find something, that intertwines all her projects with each other in such  a way.

HJCwxWv.gif