Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Agree with you that DT, while being a fun summer track, is not in the same vein as the other songs. But it’s the bop that album needed, honestly. Love NFR, love its subtleties and its overall feeling, but DT brings a little lightness to it, even if it doesn’t feel connected to the rest of the album.

Exactly! Very much agree with you on that note. It gives the record that little spark and it’s that one song you can show your friends and they’ll probably like it lol. I see it as a little introduction of the essence of the record. It’s fun and the perfect summer song!

I feel like this album is her least cohesive album, and yet still cohesive in a weird way?

idk, lol. 

For me Lust For Life is her least cohesive album. NFR has the same mood on every song except for DT.

Mfhp.gif

I feel like this album is her least cohesive album, and yet still cohesive in a weird way?

idk, lol.

To me, NFR, with Season of the Witch and Looking for America, is what she had in mind initially when crafting LFL: something a bit hopeful and sad, a bit folky/singer-songwriter, something a bit witchy, and a bit political as well. It’s a more cohesive LFL, in my mind. I don’t disregard LFL at all (it’s a very good summer album, very diverse), it’s all over the place and I love it because it reflects what I was going through three years ago, but NFR is with UV and HM when it comes to cohesiveness.

still unhappy with How To Disappear. It could have been my fav track and it ended up being my least fav. WTF Lana. Re-release it with the piano original version u teased. I don't want to listen to live recordings. I don't want to hear the public...

anigif_enhanced-buzz-3260-1375807715-35.

I'm glad that you found the listening experience smoother that way, too ;)  I don't think, actually, that the album loses anything if removing them, but exactly the opposite. Maybe they would have been nice as bonus tracks, but in the context of the album, they don't truly add, from my perspective. Even Bartender, which I love as a song, sounds out of place there.

Mm forsure. But man, I can't believe it. Respect ur opinion tho 

UV/Honeymoon

Mm forsure. But man, I can't believe it. Respect ur opinion tho 

Hahahaha... No problem, man. The way we experience art always differs amongst different people, and I know that for many the album is perfect, or near perfect, just the way Lana released it, but also there's many of us who found problematic to enjoy it given the structure and heterogeneity of the songs on it, and that's why I left here my own found way to fully enjoy it.

To me, NFR, with Season of the Witch and Looking for America, is what she had in mind initially when crafting LFL: something a bit hopeful and sad, a bit folky/singer-songwriter, something a bit witchy, and a bit political as well. It’s a more cohesive LFL, in my mind. I don’t disregard LFL at all (it’s a very good summer album, very diverse), it’s all over the place and I love it because it reflects what I was going through three years ago, but NFR is with UV and HM when it comes to cohesiveness.

omg, u right. how can I forgot about how all over the place Lust for Life was  :facepalm:

Haven't listened to it in a while.

But I guess the reason why I feel NFR is not as cohesive as UV and Honeymoon are, is because of the tracklist order. 

I think The Greatest would fit much better after FILY. Also Doin Time and Cinnamon Girl should be back to back because both have an alt pop vibe to it (I think). Love Song between DT and CG is a little off. I feel like it should be:

NFR - MAC - VB - FILY - TG - LS - CG - DT - HTD and so on.

But hey, u can change it on ur own, so it's not a big problem I guess. 

Not that I necessarily dislike those songs (even if California and TNBAR are quite boring and uninspired for me), they just don't go well with the album's sonority. It felt so cohesive and flowed so, so naturally and sensefully without them.

The transition from FIILY to Love Song, p.example, was absolutely smooth and beautiful without DT in between.

I respect your opinions but for me California is one of the most important tracks on the album :D :D 

578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

I respect your opinions but for me California is one of the most important tracks on the album :D :D

I know that many, many fans adore the song, yet I can't stand it... Don't think that it fits at all with the elegance and seriousness of the album (or what the album sounds like for me once DT, California and TNBAR are removed from it, better said), and don't like either the song itself . By the way, readded Bartender to my tracklist on NFR, I ended getting that it actually had a necesary place on it, after The Greatest.

I know that many, many fans adore the song, yet I can't stand it... Don't think that it fits at all with the elegance and seriousness of the album (or what the album sounds like for me once DT, California and TNBAR are removed from it, better said), and don't like either the song itself . By the way, readded Bartender to my tracklist on NFR, I ended getting that it actually had a necesary place on it, after The Greatest.

The last three more « acoustic » tracks, after The Greatest, form a new kind of message: after the grandeur of desolation and loss on TG, things have shifted, we’re back to a new form of culture, one simpler, more intimate. A sorta of « let’s go back to basics ». And Bartender is also a burst of hope after the sadness of TG.

But I guess the reason why I feel NFR is not as cohesive as UV and Honeymoon are, is because of the tracklist order. 

I think The Greatest would fit much better after FILY. 

But The Greatest is like the climax of the album, coming after FILY would be way too early I think.

The last three more « acoustic » tracks, after The Greatest, form a new kind of message: after the grandeur of desolation and loss on TG, things have shifted, we’re back to a new form of culture, one simpler, more intimate. A sorta of « let’s go back to basics ». And Bartender is also a burst of hope after the sadness of TG.

I see it from a similar perspective... Bartender is somehow a beautiful way to remember why the narrative of the album was optimist on the first songs of it, an emotional reset and a reminder that the world yet holds tons of mysteries and wonders to admire and be intrigued about. The last three songs (being LFA in my tracklist the last one) sound for me as lullabies, beautiful and sincere songs that try to comfort the listener -and Lana herself- after what's been an intense experience, yet keeping beating the self consciousness that's maybe the vital constant on the album. 

It's truly amazing how just removing three songs -the three ones that weren't intended to be on it since the beggining (as Lana stated on the early pre-release instances that the album contained 11 songs)-, and adding LFA as a bonus track, has changed inmensely the way I can approach to the personal statement and the whole aesthetic Lana was going for with NFR. I can say now, after many, many listens, that I absolutely love and feel on a deep level what she has done with this project, and that it for sure marks an inflection point on what she is as an artist. 

random but let's say her last few albums had had deluxe editions which songs would you make bonus tracks and how would that affect the tracklist?

LFL would have too many bonus tracks. It would end up as an 8-track EP.

HM and NFR would only have 2 bonus tracks (24 & Religion / TNBAR & Doin' Time)

Mfhp.gif

random but let's say her last few albums had had deluxe editions which songs would you make bonus tracks and how would that affect the tracklist?

california because it is NFR's Guns and Roses but without the good verses and instrumental

i76mrxw.png 

how long after L4L came out did the instrumentals leak? need a reference of time so i know how long i should be waiting for NFR ones

(are they even circulating? also do people just choose not to leak certain song instrumentals, or do they just genuinely not get obtained?)

negAbhB.png

how long after L4L came out did the instrumentals leak? need a reference of time so i know how long i should be waiting for NFR ones

(are they even circulating? also do people just choose not to leak certain song instrumentals, or do they just genuinely not get obtained?)

something tells me that jack's files are far more secure than rick's. I think that the LFL instrumentals came out about 7 or 8 months after the album did, so about the same time out we are from nfr

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF