PARADIXO

Born to Die Turns Half a Decade Old!

OTTR is one of the best songs I've ever heard and probably the best I've heard from her. The amount of lyrics and storyline she puts in one song is crazy :crying4: literally everytime I hear it, it takes me on a trip. The bridge (I had to look up if it's the bridge because I don't know how to break down songs yet but the lyric that starts with "My old man is a thief, and..." and ends with "As you do now, my man") is the best thing I've ever heard and is so meaningful. I love

Off To The Races so much.

tumblr_ov81kxfRAq1t0t62zo1_500.gif

The second fvcking track on the album too, whew. I remember how unready I was, it really was similar to hearing West Coast for the first time. Lana the boundary pusher :defeated:

“Off to the Races”

Similar to “National Anthem” and “Diet Mountain Dew”, “Off to the Races” features heavy alternative hip hop beats, a catchy bassline, a powerful chorus and a bad girl attitude. The difference, though, is that this track is truly an emotional rollercoaster; throughout its 5 minutes, Del Rey’s voice expresses multiple, extreme emotions and moods and deals with unhealthy co-dependency (“I’m not afraid to say that I’d die without him”), drugs (“He loves me with every beat of his cocaine heart”) and money (“Give me them gold coins”). During its third chorus, Lana admits “I love you but I’m going down” and apparently loses him due to all this “Las Vegas chaos” they’re experiencing. She doesn’t lose faith, however, and promises he is her “one true love”. The song ends with a dramatic and nostalgic strings section, absolutely appropriate to conclude this tale of American trouble.

A religious experience tbh.  :poordat:  

tumblr_o2bsk3y0kh1so86p6o1_400.giftumblr_o2bsk3y0kh1so86p6o2_400.gif

Bless our queen for giving us this one-of-a-kind gem of an album. The nostalgia just washes over me when a BTD track comes on. 

OTTR was my first favorite track from Lana after Video Games, so interesting to me because most of her other songs that are my favorites sound nothing like it. Also it gets harder for me to sing along to it in my car because as I get older I can't do the "baby voice" so easily. 

I :) love OTTR, it's def one of that songs that you hear and you will never get tired of it. I remember when I heard for the first time, her voice and that instrumental were literally screaming danger to me and it produced such an imagery that simply got me at first sight and made me listen on repeat for days! I also remember asking myself how she could sing that song live because of how rich it was in...Everything!  :dafuq: Honestly, one of the best songs she ever created and I love the live versions.  :flutter:

32c003478b7ec35a4b8ae368a22ebabc5be17593

If it weren't for OTTR, I probably would not be a Lana fan right now.

I don't recall if it was the *first* Lana song I ever heard-- I think that honor may belong to "Video Games"-- but it was certainly one of the first, and it's the song I fell in love with. It rocked my world, and for a long time, I was very afraid to approach the rest of Lana's catalogue, because I was assured that I'd be let down-- what in God's name could be better than such a dynamic, unique track as OTTR? It made me love her, and still exemplifies why I love her. It's at turns fast, punchy and sassy, and just as quickly, full of longing, devotion and wistfulness. It's a rollercoaster ride in five minutes, and is the quintessential Lana Del Rey track, saturated in the mythos that's now viewed as inseparable from Lana; as you listen, you get completely immersed in her unique universe, brimming with crime, good girls gone bad and the bad men who enable them, drinks and party dresses, Chateau Marmonts and glimmering darlings, all meeting in one wild show, a three-ring circus with nearly everything but good family values. By the end, you're starstruck. It's true magic in music, and I challenge Lana, or any other artist for that matter, to even *attempt* to create a track this incredible again.

I wish I could ramble endlessly about it, but all I'll say now  is that I believe it's Lana's best, nearly uncontested. It ranks among my very, very favorite Lana songs, and it's definitely a shining example of Lana at her absolute best.

I love OTTR in a way that I don't love any other Lana song. It's magic. It really is. 

:icant:

o4qjp4j.png

If it weren't for OTTR, I probably would not be a Lana fan right now.

I don't recall if it was the *first* Lana song I ever heard-- I think that honor may belong to "Video Games"-- but it was certainly one of the first, and it's the song I fell in love with. It rocked my world, and for a long time, I was very afraid to approach the rest of Lana's catalogue, because I was assured that I'd be let down-- what in God's name could be better than such a dynamic, unique track as OTTR? It made me love her, and still exemplifies why I love her. It's at turns fast, punchy and sassy, and just as quickly, full of longing, devotion and wistfulness. It's a rollercoaster ride in five minutes, and is the quintessential Lana Del Rey track, saturated in the mythos that's now viewed as inseparable from Lana; as you listen, you get completely immersed in her unique universe, brimming with crime, good girls gone bad and the bad men who enable them, drinks and party dresses, Chateau Marmonts and glimmering darlings, all meeting in one wild show, a three-ring circus with nearly everything but good family values. By the end, you're starstruck. It's true magic in music, and I challenge Lana, or any other artist for that matter, to even *attempt* to create a track this incredible again.

I wish I could ramble endlessly about it, but all I'll say now  is that I believe it's Lana's best, nearly uncontested. It ranks among my very, very favorite Lana songs, and it's definitely a shining example of Lana at her absolute best.

I love OTTR in a way that I don't love any other Lana song. It's magic. It really is. 

:icant:

OTTR is the second song I had EVER heard by her. I kept seeing things about Lana through Twitter and decided to listen to her first album. I was into Born to Die and then when OTTR started I just couldn't believe my ears were hearing that. I will never forget the feeling I had when I first heard that song. It was like you said - magic

giphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

The melody changes she made to Off to the Races during her 2016 Festival Tour were incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEyDRsdu8t0&t=1492s

(54:45 - 55:05)

(1:22 - 1:29)

Also, the high note from this one is one of the best things she's ever done.

(4:23 - 4:31)

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

brand new billboard 1/28 chart-

Born to die- #135 now in its 258th chart week... so four more weeks needed to have more than five chart years on the Top 200 Albums chart

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

OTTR deserved sooooo much more attention from Lana then it got. It was almost the best song on the album and it had so much going for it. It's disappointing that she didn't have more songs like that now (officially released).  I think every thing about that song is perfect. Production, rapping, lyrics, perfect song. It's not my favorite but its definitely up there.

The BTD version of Off To The Races is everything I love about Lana - dramatic, over the top, on the edge, and a wild vocal performance. The fact that we only have the one studio version (plus the recently surfaced remixes that are basically the same arrangement), makes it even more perfect.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

First post here (and possibly the last, who knows?). Registrered here with the sole purpose of articulating some of my thoughts on this amazing album.

I was late to the Lana Del Rey party. Part of that is explained by my age (I'm 41) - while I still love music, it takes more to vow me than when I was a teenager. But part of it is also that I am not intuitively drawn to music in this vain, generally preferring electronic pop, club music and hip-hop.

I first heard Video Games back in late 2011 - probably earlier than most I guess, as it was a couple of months before it became a hit - and I liked it quite a lot. I liked the moody feel, her deep vocals and of course the beautiful melody. However, I figured that she was probably a one-trick pony, so I didn't really feel a great inclination to check out her album when it was released in early 2012. I remember reading a few reviews of the album, and they were decidedly lukewarm on it. Infact, I have later gone back to read a bunch of the reviews of the album and they really are mostly lukewarm - quite incredible really, given the awesomeness of the album and the fact that many of those very same magazines now list the album as one of the best, not just of 2012 but of the entire decade.

I remember hearing songs like Born To Die and Blue Jean and thinking that they were quite good but not as good as Video Games, which reinforced my view that she was probably a one trick pony. Fast forward more than a year to the spring of 2013 and I heard a Lana Del Rey song that I loved. It was "Young And Beautiful" - such an stunningly beautiful piece of work. Still, it wasn't enough for me to check out any of her albums (Paradise had come out at this time as well). However, a few months later I heard the song that to this day is still my favourite LDR track. It was "Gods And Monsters". THIS was my style. Big drums, huge stringpads and a menacing yet melancholy melody. I am a longtime amateur producer and it reminded me a bit of a style my band was trying to achieve in the mid-00's. I loved this song and yes, I FINALLY downloaded the album, which was now the Born To Die - Paradise edition. This is why I today have a hard time seperating those two albums. They seem like a whole project to me. 

Anyway, I played the album a few times. Thought it was pretty good, but didn't think that much more about it. For me, this is one of those albums that didn't hit me hard out of the gate. Rather it has been the kind of album where on each subsequent listen, another song crept up on me, until the point where I starting loving pretty much the entire 24 song shebang (15 songs on BTD, 9 songs on Paradise). Still we're probably well into 2015 before the greatness of the album truly dawns on me. This is very rare for me. I usually assess fairly quickly how much I like an album or not. This album took years.

I think something similar happened with the many professional reviewers who had a dismissive attitude towards the album at first. I bet most of them have come to reassess the qualities of this stunning piece of work.

While I do regard my self as a Lana Del Rey fan today, it is mostly because of this "double" album (I actually like Paradise even better than Born To Die, but as I stated, I view it pretty much as ONE album). I think Ultraviolence is a good album, but lacks some of the pop qualities that I prefer. I like Honeymoon a bit better than Ultraviolence, but that doesn't touch BTD/Paradise either for me.

BTD/Paradise is one of the best albums of the 2010's for me - infact it is a great shame that it came out the same year as Kendrick Lamar's masterpiece "Good Kid m.A.A.d City" or it would very easily have been the best album of 2012.

First post here (and possibly the last, who knows?). Registrered here with the sole purpose of articulating some of my thoughts on this amazing album.

I was late to the Lana Del Rey party. Part of that is explained by my age (I'm 41) - while I still love music, it takes more to vow me than when I was a teenager. But part of it is also that I am not intuitively drawn to music in this vain, generally preferring electronic pop, club music and hip-hop.

I first heard Video Games back in late 2011 - probably earlier than most I guess, as it was a couple of months before it became a hit - and I liked it quite a lot. I liked the moody feel, her deep vocals and of course the beautiful melody. However, I figured that she was probably a one-trick pony, so I didn't really feel a great inclination to check out her album when it was released in early 2012. I remember reading a few reviews of the album, and they were decidedly lukewarm on it. Infact, I have later gone back to read a bunch of the reviews of the album and they really are mostly lukewarm - quite incredible really, given the awesomeness of the album and the fact that many of those very same magazines now list the album as one of the best, not just of 2012 but of the entire decade.

I remember hearing songs like Born To Die and Blue Jean and thinking that they were quite good but not as good as Video Games, which reinforced my view that she was probably a one trick pony. Fast forward more than a year to the spring of 2013 and I heard a Lana Del Rey song that I loved. It was "Young And Beautiful" - such an stunningly beautiful piece of work. Still, it wasn't enough for me to check out any of her albums (Paradise had come out at this time as well). However, a few months later I heard the song that to this day is still my favourite LDR track. It was "Gods And Monsters". THIS was my style. Big drums, huge stringpads and a menacing yet melancholy melody. I am a longtime amateur producer and it reminded me a bit of a style my band was trying to achieve in the mid-00's. I loved this song and yes, I FINALLY downloaded the album, which was now the Born To Die - Paradise edition. This is why I today have a hard time seperating those two albums. They seem like a whole project to me.

Anyway, I played the album a few times. Thought it was pretty good, but didn't think that much more about it. For me, this is one of those albums that didn't hit me hard out of the gate. Rather it has been the kind of album where on each subsequent listen, another song crept up on me, until the point where I starting loving pretty much the entire 24 song shebang (15 songs on BTD, 9 songs on Paradise). Still we're probably well into 2015 before the greatness of the album truly dawns on me. This is very rare for me. I usually assess fairly quickly how much I like an album or not. This album took years.

I think something similar happened with the many professional reviewers who had a dismissive attitude towards the album at first. I bet most of them have come to reassess the qualities of this stunning piece of work.

While I do regard my self as a Lana Del Rey fan today, it is mostly because of this "double" album (I actually like Paradise even better than Born To Die, but as I stated, I view it pretty much as ONE album). I think Ultraviolence is a good album, but lacks some of the pop qualities that I prefer. I like Honeymoon a bit better than Ultraviolence, but that doesn't touch BTD/Paradise either for me.

BTD/Paradise is one of the best albums of the 2010's for me - infact it is a great shame that it came out the same year as Kendrick Lamar's masterpiece "Good Kid m.A.A.d City" or it would very easily have been the best album of 2012.

Man you should check out her unreleased catalogue if you haven't already. It's quite large and varied, I think you'd like it, much of it is in the same pop vein as Born to Die too

VyIsfwC.jpg