Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

Was Bartender first mentioned around the time she started working with Jack?

I think so because this was around the time she mentioned Hope is a dangerous for a woman like me to have but I have it aka Sylvia Plath and we know she probably had to write M.A.C and Venice before then

I think so because this was around the time she mentioned Hope is a dangerous for a woman like me to have but I have it aka Sylvia Plath and we know she probably had to write M.A.C and Venice before then

I think Jack said Hope (and another) were the first two recorded for the album. And both were simple, piano tracks. Maybe Hope and HiaB?

the last two early mornings i drove to work windows down listening to VB and it just reaffirmed itself as my favourite single ever

it always takes me back to the end of my relationship in the cold months last year and just feeling free and lonely and happy and sad and lost. it literally transports me mentally and emotionally and by the end i feel like i've just had a big conversation with myself about life. it facilitates a lot of thinking and remembering and that's why i think the extended freestyle section is so special to me. even after hearing the song like 1000 times its power still isn't lost, it still feels like a meditation. it gives me imagery of cold drives and trees and laying around and just being with my friends post-breakup. it makes me think of my ex every time but in a very healing way. VB is my baby

I just wanna say How To Disappear is one of the best songs lyrically off NFR. Hear me out: I know you guys love when Lana uses big words and tries to make sentences sound fancy shmancy like HIADT, for example:

There's a new revolution, a loud evolution that I saw

Born of confusion and quiet collusion of which mostly I've known

A modern day woman with a weak constitution, 'cause I've got

Monsters still under my bed that I could never fight off

But the simplicity HTD possesses, while also painting a vivid picture, is honestly why it's one of my favorites. It's not TRYING too hard like Hope. Don't get me wrong I love Hope, but I do feel at times Lana phrased things the way she did so she'd be seen as some edgy, elaborate, modern day Sylvia Plath or intriguing poet. Whereas HTD:

Jim met me down at the training yard

Got cuts on his face 'cause he fought too hard

I know he's in over his head

But I love that man like nobody can

He moves mountains and turns them to ground again

And I watched the guys getting high as they fight

For the things that they hold dear

To forget the things they fear

I think maybe because it's truthful writing, that's also autobiographical, it's just one of my favorites. No pretentious words, no exaggeration, just storytelling. Truthful storytelling. They paint the perfect picture of Lizzy back in New York. Also the end, where she talks about her plans for the future. I don't know, there's just something so beautiful about the song. As I said, I know most of you will attack me because you're in love with how artistically intricate Hope is, but I truly stand by my statement that HTD has some of the best storytelling of the entire album. I like both songs, but I really cannot wait for HTD. I know it's going to be one of my favorites :sadcore:

giphy.gifB8iC.gifgiphy.gif

wish i had a dislike button :(

bitch me too for whenever u hoes act out of line

which did u go to???

finixx

There's a new revolution, a loud evolution that I saw

Born of confusion and quiet collusion of which mostly I've known

A modern day woman with a weak constitution, 'cause I've got

Monsters still under my bed that I could never fight off

i keep wanting to make a post referencing this bc i feel like the 'a modern day woman with a weak constitution' is a reference to her writing 'Change' hoping it'd be a moral compass for her, how she hoped that by the time Summer '17 was over and she began touring practice she'd feel happier but obviously she didn't, her constitution to Change didn't realistically do shit for her but lead the next albums direction in production

the revolution/evolution/confusion/collusion just seems like a hamfisted attempt to make some type of subtle political comment

Hope has the best lyrics Lana has ever written. I feel like it's also her most honest song ever. And to whoever says she doesn't transmit anything in the song, you're probably deaf. From the very first to the last note, she literally gives her soul. And the emotion is at its peak during the second verse, probably because it's about her past alcoholism and the loneliness she always feels.

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

I’m so bored, who should i report? who do you hate? Let me know guys....

Reported thank u

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

Hope has the best lyrics Lana has ever written. I feel like it's also her most honest song ever. And to whoever says she doesn't transmit anything in the song, you're probably deaf. From the very first to the last note, she literally gives her soul. And the emotion is at its peak during the second verse, probably because it's about her past alcoholism and the loneliness she always feels.

I didn't say she didn't transmit anything, I said the song doesn't paint a vast picture. The song stays on one note content wise; Lana has a hard time having hope because of what has gone on, what's going on, and what is to come. That is the entire song. To top it off, the lyrics are complicated in a way that rubs off as her trying too hard. It doesn't sound natural. It sounds like she went through the dictionary and found words she liked. As I stated, I like the song, which I know you'll completely ignore just because I said something negative about the song, you'll probably be like the rest of the fans who only see red and need to fight because oh my goodness, someone said something bad about your favorite song! But I'm just speaking truth on the matter. It seems like she read some Sylvia Plath poems, read some Nirvana lyrics, said "I want a deep song with lots of layers that lends to an intellectual idea" and proceeded. I will continue to say, I love the song, but that doesn't mean I cannot critique things I love, and I'm simply stating that the song at parts is messy, and comes off as pretentious. If you don't get that, then I'm very happy for you and hope you continue to love the song, I am simply stating my opinion on the matter, and if people's opinions upset and infuriate you, maybe the best place for you isn't a forum where people shares OPINIONS. But like I said, I'm glad you're a die hard fan of the song and feel as though the real Lana is being portrayed, I however feel as though she feels the need to out do herself and become some poet with a vast understanding of the vernacular. I'm glad we can have opposing opinions though!

giphy.gifB8iC.gifgiphy.gif

I didn't say she didn't transmit anything, I said the song doesn't paint a vast picture. The song stays on one note content wise; Lana has a hard time having hope because of what has gone on, what's going on, and what is to come. That is the entire song. To top it off, the lyrics are complicated in a way that rubs off as her trying too hard. It doesn't sound natural. It sounds like she went through the dictionary and found words she liked. As I stated, I like the song, which I know you'll completely ignore just because I said something negative about the song, you'll probably be like the rest of the fans who only see red and need to fight because oh my goodness, someone said something bad about your favorite song! But I'm just speaking truth on the matter. It seems like she read some Sylvia Plath poems, read some Nirvana lyrics, said "I want a deep song with lots of layers that lends to an intellectual idea" and proceeded. I will continue to say, I love the song, but that doesn't mean I cannot critique things I love, and I'm simply stating that the song at parts is messy, and comes off as pretentious. If you don't get that, then I'm very happy for you and hope you continue to love the song, I am simply stating my opinion on the matter, and if people's opinions upset and infuriate you, maybe the best place for you isn't a forum where people shares OPINIONS. But like I said, I'm glad you're a die hard fan of the song and feel as though the real Lana is being portrayed, I however feel as though she feels the need to out do herself and become some poet with a vast understanding of the vernacular. I'm glad we can have opposing opinions though!

Hunny, he did not even quote you. You try a bit too hard to be the unpopular-opinion-guy. Like you said - it's a forum where people post their opinions. I mean ... "I know most of you are going to attack me" ... relax, it's not that serious.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!