Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

Hey yall its Darla.. anyways Bartender California and The Greatest is the holy trinity of this masterpiece. I said what I said.

Darla coming for necks, and saying what had to be said. 

i don't know you Darla, but you snapped. 

SizzlingThornyIndigobunting-size_restric

Okay fine. I'll admit it. I penned the "In the cock in the cock in the cockpit I'm your pilot" lyrics.. 

And I regret it immensely. It's all I sing during that song and I completely ruined Love song  :facepalm:

So I just came back from a car drive...

So I'd like to say first that I thought I might've judged the album a bit too harshly from the released of all the singles, hearing about Jack being involved in the project, to the long and unnecessary wait to finally get this album, and in the past weeks all the speculations, visuals and now the leaks...

So anyway I gave a full listen to the album and I'm going to give short reviews song by song:

Norman Fucking Rockwell: I think it's a great opening track, I love her voice in this one. But I feel like the mixing is a bit weird, especially towards the end, instead of sounding like a reverb, her voice sounds really muffled an inaudible. Also, from the preview of this song on Instagram I expected the harps to sound really loud and they sounded really subdued, I wish they were louder I feel like they would mesh well with the strings in this song.

Mariners Apartment Complex: I liked the song the minute she released it, nothing more to say except: great song!

Venice Bitch: I truly believe that this is one of her best songs, I'm just in love with it. Love the instrumentals, I just wish there was a bit more bass. But overall, amazing song.

Fuck it, I love you: Not my favorite song... I just don't like the instrumentals in this one, especially in the final version. Also I just don't like how the lyrics are just muffled and the fuck it I luuuh yaaah

Doin' Time: I honestly don't understand the hatred for this song, I think it's a pretty cool cover, the beat is nice and I love Lana's delivery in this.

Love Song: This will be a bit controversial, but while I like her voice in this, I just don't really care for this song... the instrumentals sounds promising at first, but I feel like nothing really happens. Just a cute ballad I guess.

Cinnamon Girl: Another great track! I love the atmosphere of this one, it sounds kinda of space-like to me. Love the transition between the soft piano part and the electronic beat, pretty seamless. Although I feel like the outro is a bit too long.

How To Disappear: Well... I guess her voice sounds great when it gets the chance to shine? The instrumentals and the jingle bells were... a choice. I just don't understand the mixing and production of this song, it's very cheap, and the outcome is just not it. This could've honestly been one of the best track on this record, but the production just ruins everything and Lana's voice is just drown in here. Such a disappointing track.

California: This song truly is the hidden gem of this record, I just love it. Love the chorus and the instrumentals, and for once I feel like the mixing is alright. Love the "liquor top shelf" reference to Carmen. A beautiful track!

The Next Best American Record: What can I say? They kind of ruined her best unreleased track with the lyrical non-sense. I honestly feel like it would've fit the album better if she kept the "We did it all for fame", she wrote a goddamn record about this artist who thinks really highly of himself, why change it for something really lackluster... At least it's become an official track now I guess.

The greatest: The greatest is the greatest. Period. This song is epic, I wished there were some more bass to counterbalance the beautiful instrumentals, but oh well that was what they were going for for this record. It's a beautiful song nonetheless.

Bartender: Don't crucify me, but I just don't care for this one... when I listened to the album in order I was honestly thinking "Again? Another stripped down ballad??". It's not bad, I just feel like nothing happens here...

Happiness Is A Butterfly: I feel like lyrically this song is two songs in one, like the verse and pre-chorus is one distinctive sound and the chorus is something else. It sounds beautiful nevertheless. I still don't quite get the "tour lyfe lyrics" though, but the I live for the "serial killer" part.

Hope: Here's the thing... I love the lyricism, her voice and the sentiment here, but I just can't get into this song. It's just too long. Choosing this track to close this record was questionable, Venice Bitch would've probably been a better choice, to send listeners into another dimension, right now she just puts me to sleep.

All in all... I think Norman Fucking Rockwell is a good record, I feel like it's a nice departure from her past album, and I applaud Lana for going into a more organic direction. But this record just feels very unequal to me. I feel like the mixing on most of the tracks give the album a demo kind of sound, it's just sort of weird and dry, doesn't really create an atmosphere I find. It's way too subdued and flat at times, there really is a lack of bass percussions and/or beats on this album to create a more diverse and balanced sound. Also, I feel like a lot of tracks actually lack instrumentals...(Love Song, Bartender and HIAB). Her voice sounds beautiful when we get the chance to hear it, and not feel drowned in hazy instrumentals. I would honestly like to have a word with the person in charge of mixing this album. Overall, I feel like Jack did an ok job with this. But to put this record on top of her others is just nonsensical to me.

I've been fighting people peck and nails for years, but this is the first time that Lana has actually, sorry, but bored me on a lot of tracks. I love her, but this record just ain't it for me.

I don't know if this has been mentioned because I'm at work and I don't have time to check every page, but apparently sis will be on a San Diego radio station tomorrow:

https://twitter.com/alt949radio/status/1166478019092873217

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Idk why but listening to Lana in the dark intensifies everything in the best way.

YES. I make sure that the first listen of a Lana album is always in the dark/terrace looking up at skies or alone at night in the beach and just seeing the waves crash..contemplating my life and all the mistakes I've done but feeling satisfied that I've stood my ground.

Love Song..makes me want to get fucked in a car so badly.

YES. I make sure that the first listen of a Lana album is always in the dark/terrace looking up at skies or alone at night in the beach and just seeing the waves crash..contemplating my life and all the mistakes I've done but feeling satisfied that I've stood my ground.

Love Song..makes me want to get fucked in a car so badly.

Aww. I haven’t listened yet but my first run through will definitely be in the dark.

Okay fine. I'll admit it. I penned the "In the cock in the cock in the cockpit I'm your pilot" lyrics.. 

And I regret it immensely. It's all I sing during that song and I completely ruined Love song  :facepalm:

OMG DARLA WORLY

giphy.gif

OMG DARLA WORLY

YA GIRL finally got on LanaBoards  :hooker:

After those f*gs banned me off Gagadaily I decided to migrate here! Who wants an autograph?