Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

Cinnamon and California are definitely the best new tracks. Has anyone made one of those rating things yet where you pick between track A and track B and in the end it gives you the full list how you rated them?  :creep: Think we've had some of those for at least a couple of eras.

Also here's me just not getting enough of the chorus of Cinnamon (especially the last one with the sawer bass thing)

R4EcEbQ.gif

Wow. I thought you were cool, Bitches. :judgingu:

None of her title tracks are truly bad, though. I'm just sick of Born to Die.

I don’t think it’s bad by any means but I think BTD and HM (title tracks) are stronger. I’ll take that back and say that it does best UV

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

guys... i might need time. I just might. but right now....i don’t really like california :icant:

all of my favourite lana songs, I hated on first listen

The hair on his head was white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire.

I finally listened to the hq leak. So many lyrics and songs are some of her most compelling work, imo. I'm so interested in the spoken outro of Hope too. California and happiness brought me so many unexpected moments.

Like, listening to the record from start to finish is like playing the main storyline of a video game, and then figuring out the nuances and understanding each track separately make up the side quests and missions. Haven't listened from start to finish, waiting til Friday, but ohmygod. The side missions

UV/Honeymoon

The thing is for me I actually like the change of production for HTD. I am a big fan of jack's production in different music he's done, and he gave the song elements only he would've, which is amazing to me as a fan of both of them .

Since my original post got "drowned" in yesterday's Kanye craze – these are my impressions after the first listen:

• I'm not instantly awestruck – but NFR overall is better than I had expected/feared. It has a nice atmosphere and a great flow to it and even the songs that are a bit "lame" on their own (FIILY, Hope) sound good in the overall context of the album.
  • It's really a mood album for me, even more than HM is. I definitely will/can not listen to it every day.
  • Unpopular opinion: I love the new BAR version!
  • "California" is an instant Lana classic and a breeze of fresh air in the middle of the album (as is TNBAR). My 2nd favourite after VB.
  • "Bartender" has some kind of Tori Amos piano (reminds me a bit of "Cornflake girl") - great!
  • "Love song" is sooo beautiful.
  • "Cinnamon girl" is a bit of a disappointment for me – I expected more of a "pop hit". The song just seems to go nowhere for me.
  • So overall: there's not a single bad song on this album for me - but NFR surely isn't my favourite Lana album. At least after the first listen. The album would've been a bit more interesting if she had incorporated more guitars like in VB or California imho. The music sometimes is lacking some of the dark, intense and brooding atmosphere of many of Lana's earlier tracks.

guys... i might need time. I just might. but right now....i don’t really like california :icant:

I mean, your name is mr borntolose, we all can’t be winners and love California.

FIILY minus the drums is soooooo good. I prefer it.

also I might be wrong , but I don't feel like the songs are all verse , chorus, verse, bridge etc . But I think this is a good thing, as though the songs have a different feeling to her past work.

It feels like there's a story to this album, which I last strongly felt with btd. I do agree that there's something about this album that feels similar to UV, but not in a way I can easily describe. Almost like a lighter UV.

Mmm, he’s married and I don’t think Lana has written much referencing him. Their relationship seemed to have a lot of conflict even though they tried their best to hide it. I feel like she didn’t have that same deep connection she had with Barrie. I think California is more likely about Barrie.

Yeah IMO if any of the songs are about the Prince of Pasta, it's HIAB:

"If he is a serial killer" = if he is a heartbreaker

He's a known womaniser who would fuck anything in a skirt.

It seems to be about a tumultuous relationship in LA and NYC ... and iirc he commuted between both cities for work.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

okay love song grew on me so much i wad right. its so catchy to me and if you ask me it fits PERFECTLY on the album and serves as an amazing prelude to cinnamon girl.

Yeah, I don’t understand the negativity it’s getting, it fits perfectly into the narrative of the album, and makes the other songs hit harder because it allows for a real arc. It’s also just such a cute intimate track.

The album is so amazing! The way it depicts this extremely californian brand of hopelessness strongly reminds me of the book 'Play It As It Lays' by Joan Didion. Have any of you read it?

I AM MY ONLY GOD