Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

I don't think Jack is the one to blame about the new structures. It's obvious Lana wanted to try new things and wanted to keep this record as low-key as possible; perhaps her bridges are always the most dramatic part of her songs and she wanted the songs blend with each other with these beautiful outros and intros, to keep the record more mellow. I mean, didn't she write Hope, Happiness and California before meeting Jack? Those songs don't have a bridge.

Hope has a bridge, doesn't it? Anyways, I think that Jack might have a part in the lack of bridges. For example, Melodrama doesn't have very many bridges, I think that he is more comfortable doing other types of song structures which may have influenced Lana.

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

Hope has a bridge, doesn't it? Anyways, I think that Jack might have a part in the lack of bridges. For example, Melodrama doesn't have very many bridges, I think that he is more comfortable doing other types of song structures which may have influenced Lana.

Hmm, now that you mention that, it could be. Jack definitely focuses more on other stuff. Hope doesn't really have a bridge though. I does have a nice structure, that's for sure. Such a career highlight.

Has anyone here heard the new Zella Day song released Friday? I bring her up because she's working with Neil Krug and Dan Auerbach. Dan produced her new song "People Are Strangers" and the song and video is very beautiful. I wish Lana would work with Neil again. Her work with her sister is boring and unimaginative. What Neil could have come up with for the NFR photo shoots and album cover would have been amazing.

title track best song off the record 

User was banned for this post  :hooker:

jk RIP fam

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

I don't think Jack is the one to blame about the new structures. It's obvious Lana wanted to try new things and wanted to keep this record as low-key as possible; perhaps her bridges are always the most dramatic part of her songs and she wanted the songs blend with each other with these beautiful outros and intros, to keep the record more mellow. I mean, didn't she write Hope, Happiness and California before meeting Jack? Those songs don't have a bridge.

I honestly feel like Lana just settles for whatever these days. I'll give props to Jack for having this new approach with Lana on this record, but I wouldn't say it was a change for the best as opposed to formulas she has tried in the past on other records. NFR was far from boundary pushing for Lana in my honest opinion.

Also, I've said it on a previous post, but while I don't think every single song needs a bridge, but sometimes the bridge adds something interesting, or an element of surprise to a song. I wouldn't say I was bothered by the lack of bridge on NFR, we already knew that they are not Jack's forte, it's obvious that it's a Rick Nowels thing, I was more bothered by other elements on the record.

I honestly feel like Lana just settles for whatever these days. I'll give props to Jack for having this new approach with Lana on this record, but I wouldn't say it was a change for the best as opposed to formulas she has tried in the past on other records. NFR was far from boundary pushing for Lana in my honest opinion.

Also, I've said it on a previous post, but while I don't think every single song needs a bridge, but sometimes the bridge adds something interesting, or an element of surprise to a song. I wouldn't say I was bothered by the lack of bridge on NFR, we already knew that they are not Jack's forte, it's obvious that it's a Rick Nowels thing, I was more bothered by other elements on the record.

Oh yeah, definitely, I mean, it’s not that this change is for the better, they just kinda switched things a bit this time around. Props for the “experimentation” yeah. Saw what you did to my post though :creep:

Oh yeah, definitely, I mean, it’s not that this change is for the better, they just kinda switched things a bit this time around. Props for the “experimentation” yeah. Saw what you did to my post though :creep:

it's all in the little details  :creep:

During the outro of Cinnamon Girl, I always hear a distorted voice repeating the phrase “cinnamon girl” 3 times kind of like it was recorded backwards then reversed like the red room style talking in Twin Peaks. I hear it as clear as day, but I haven’t heard anyone else mention it so maybe it’s just my subconscious hearing it or something lol.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

During the outro of Cinnamon Girl, I always hear a distorted voice repeating the phrase “cinnamon girl” 3 times kind of like it was recorded backwards then reversed like the red room style talking in Twin Peaks. I hear it as clear as day, but I haven’t heard anyone else mention it so maybe it’s just my subconscious hearing it or something lol.

do  u mean this sample https://youtu.be/NuDDhmO8c68?t=19

or am i missing smth

image.png

do u mean this sample https://youtu.be/NuDDhmO8c68?t=19

or am i missing smth

No it’s before the part that sounds vaguely like that Bleachers song. It’s from about 4:00 to 4:20, and it sounds like three increments of saying “cinnamon girl” three times in a distorted red room voice. But I’ve been through this on here already months ago and no one else heard it so I’ve accepted it’s probably something only I can hear. Maybe it is from the red room then haha.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

No it’s before the part that sounds vaguely like that Bleachers song. It’s from about 4:00 to 4:20, and it sounds like three increments of saying “cinnamon girl” three times in a distorted red room voice. But I’ve been through this on here already months ago and no one else heard it so I’ve accepted it’s probably something only I can hear. Maybe it is from the red room then haha.

i know what u mean, but i just reversed it in audacity and it's just that distorted Bleachers sample again

image.png

Speaking of the Cinamon Girl outro...Always hear her saying Topanga before the beat kicks in..at 4:24...haven't seen that people talked about it either. But I think that it makes the album more cohesive somehow. The CG outro has some driving/wind noises. Maybe she is on her way to Topanga or drives around in Topanga and then she starts to think about the people that disappeared from her life. Like Joe and that Jim guy. Wasn't Cinnamon Girl about Joe as well? But yeah then she said that she would pick him up if this one specific person would come back to California (we all know that she means Barrie). And then she reminds herself that she (& Barrie)  did it all because they were just that good and when they were at Topanga it always was getting hot (Topanga is hot tonight/I'm taking off my bathing suit). But then her mind comes back to reality...she faces the greatest loss...she is burned out and misses doing nothing the most of all and L.A/California was in flames, Kanye West isn't the Kanye West Lana used to know (e.g he is pro-Trump now ).

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

Here while finishing a Lana marathon. I played today all of her studio albums -starting with BTD-, and got to the conclusion that NFR is, by far, her most honest, and maybe also her more mature one. I wasn't in love at first with how she sonically did things with the album, but listening to it just after all of her earlier work made me realise how brave she's been putting an absolutely unexpected approach, both instrumentally and vocally, also production wise, and of course lyrically. The heaviest part of all of this it's that she's made an amazing and absolutely rich music career in just 8 years. Thinking about many big artists that haven't reached her level of quality and creativity, her incredibly level of sound distinctiveness even spending full decades in the industry and creating. Imagine what's yet to come regarding her future. Love you, Lana.

Here while finishing a Lana marathon. I played today all of her studio albums -starting with BTD-, and got to the conclusion that NFR is, by far, her most honest, and maybe also her more mature one. I wasn't in love at first with how she sonically did things with the album, but listening to it just after all of her earlier work made me realise how brave she's been putting an absolutely unexpected approach, both instrumentally and vocally, also production wise, and of course lyrically. The heaviest part of all of this it's that she's made an amazing and absolutely rich music career in just 8 years. Thinking about many big artists that haven't reached her level of quality and creativity, her incredibly level of sound distinctiveness even spending full decades in the industry and creating. Imagine what's yet to come regarding her future. Love you, Lana.

We are truly blessed with Lana. She put out 5 albums and 1 ep in the 8 last years and none of them was bad, that's incredible! We know that a spoken word album is coming anytime soon and that she already works on her next album. She really served with some cinematic and nostalgic music videos (Ride, SOC, Love, NA, and so on) and she even did a short film and Tropico is an amazing body of work/art! NFR! was somehow an unexpected approach but Lana takes us now on a new journey. She came full circle from BTD to LFL and NFR! was the beginning of sth new. Excited what she'll put out/ do in the future as well!!!

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

Now I hear it, but to me I hear cinnamon girl like 6 times hahhaha 

Speaking of the Cinamon Girl outro...Always hear her saying Topanga before the beat kicks in..at 4:24...haven't seen that people talked about it either. But I think that it makes the album more cohesive somehow. The CG outro has some driving/wind noises. Maybe she is on her way to Topanga or drives around in Topanga and then she starts to think about the people that disappeared from her life. Like Joe and that Jim guy. Wasn't Cinnamon Girl about Joe as well? But yeah then she said that she would pick him up if this one specific person would come back to California (we all know that she means Barrie). And then she reminds herself that she (& Barrie)  did it all because they were just that good and when they were at Topanga it always was getting hot (Topanga is hot tonight/I'm taking off my bathing suit). But then her mind comes back to reality...she faces the greatest loss...she is burned out and misses doing nothing the most of all and L.A/California was in flames, Kanye West isn't the Kanye West Lana used to know (e.g he is pro-Trump now ).

Now I hear Topanga as well :O 

578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

do  u mean this sample https://youtu.be/NuDDhmO8c68?t=19

or am i missing smth

image.png