Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

I'm glad someone bumped the thread. Listening to the album while biking has really let it grow on me and realise that it's really not like a lot of her earlier stuff that you can listen to and daydream about because they're so vivid in their imagery compared to NFR. Having changing scenery and moving while it plays has really made the difference to me. Wish I could drive just so I could listen to it while driving alone tbh.

locals only

now that it's been 8½ months since the record's release, how do the tracks rank with you guys? for me, it's:

a tie between venice bitch, the greatest, and happiness is a butterfly

hope is a dangerous thing

mariners apartment complex

fuck it i love you

norman fucking rockwell

cinnamon girl

love song

california

bartender

how to disappear

doin time

the next best american record

giphy.gif

Don't know what happened but currently I'm ADDICTED to Bartender... Bar-t-t-tender hahahaha

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

https://imgur.com/a/8Ea9usZ

Jack Nicholson on a boat holding a brunette in green in the movie One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest .. maybe this has something to do with jack Nicholson's grandson being on the cover

Ooh, that’s really interesting!

From Wikipedia:

“One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1962) is a novel written by Ken Kesey. Set in an Oregon psychiatric hospital, the narrative serves as a study of institutional processes and the human mind as well as a critique of behaviorism and a tribute to individualistic principles.”

A tribute to individualistic principles? Hello Norman Fucking Rockwell?

From the NFR album trailer:

“The greatest journey is the journey of the mind since this is what determines the journey of life. Have you ever had the feeling that your mind is on a journey? A voyage of discovery? That sometimes it has to make long passages on dark, uncharted seas? And at other times it discovers bright islands of beauty or of truth. Islands it will know from this day forward, that it can always steer for and find in the storm while the gales of life blow themselves out and the enormous seas of misfortune, or pain, or sorrow, or doubt subside in the calm. Well, if you'll come, I'd like to take you with me on such a voyage of the mind.“

Ugh, I want this reference to be true so bad lol

Although I feel like NFR is a cohesive body of work and it depends on the day what my ranking is, my usual "gasp, that's ascending me" songs are:

1) Bartender

2) Venice Bitch

3) The Greatest

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

I feel like I might've judged 'NFR!' a little too harshly in the past. Lately I've been experiencing a lot of anxiety so I've connected a little more to the record. I'm not as inclined to skip the songs when they come on shuffle. Though, I still stand by most of what I said. I feel like I would've liked the record a whole lot more had the production/mastering been up to par with Lana's first three efforts and also had the record been 2-3 tracks shorter. But overall, it's good album.

The title track and 'The greatest' are probably my most listened songs last year.

I feel like I might've judged 'NFR!' a little too harshly in the past. Lately I've been experiencing a lot of anxiety so I've connected a little more to the record. I'm not as inclined to skip the songs when they come on shuffle. Though, I still stand by most of what I said. I feel like I would've liked the record a whole lot more had the production/mastering been up to par with Lana's first three efforts and also had the record been 2-3 tracks shorter. But overall, it's good album.

The title track and 'The greatest' are probably my most listened songs last year.

:wowcry:   

:wowcry:   

What, I said it's a "good" album, but just that good. It ain't the album of the millenium. 'NFR!' is still 'NFR!' after aaall. There are still a lot of elements on this record I simply do not enjoy (nor do I think I'll ever enjoy them), but I guess I grew a very tiny soft spot for this album in the past couple weeks.

now that it's been 8½ months since the record's release, how do the tracks rank with you guys? for me, it's:

a tie between venice bitch, the greatest, and happiness is a butterfly

mariners apartment complex

fuck it i love you

norman fucking rockwell

cinnamon girl

love song

california

bartender

how to disappear

doin time

the next best american record

For me, I’d say (from favorite to least favorite):

California

Fuck It, I Love You

Mariners Apartment Complex

Cinnamon Girl

Bartender

Happiness Is a Butterfly

Venice Bitch

The Greatest

Love Song

How to Disappear

Hope Is a Dangerous Thing...

Doin’ Time

Norman Fucking Rockwell

The Next Worst American Record

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

Fuck it, I love you

Venice Bitch

California

Cinnamon Girl

Doin' Time

The Next Best American Record

The greatest

Mariners Apartment Complex

Norman fucking Rockwell

Happiness is a Butterfly

Bartender

Love Song

How to Disappear

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

bartender still deserves electric chair i said what i said

I was so excited when we found out that ALL the snippets were in the album <3 and finally getting TNBAR was like an extra added treat :D

to YOU

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

1. Venice Bitch

2. Mariners Apartment Complex

3. Fuck it I love you

4. Happiness is a butterfly

5. Norman fucking Rockwell

6. Cinnamon Girl

7. The greatest

8. Love song

9. How to disappear

10. hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

11. California

12. Doin' Time