Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Okay that sounds like the Topanga thing in the outro....

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

Speaking of HIAB, can we appreciate the instrumentals they put in it :defeated: And yesterday I listened to MAC, Venice Bitch to The greatest in a row...I was lying on the floor after that for several minutes....she did that!! :crai: :gclap:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

Speaking of HIAB, can we appreciate the instrumentals they put in it :defeated: And yesterday I listened to MAC, Venice Bitch to The greatest in a row...I was lying on the floor after that for several minutes....she did that!! :crai: :gclap:

I used to make fun of HIAB because of its childish lyrics but now I admire this song sonically and lyrically.

giphy.gif

Love the aesthetic of this era.. they aren't lazy or cheap as some people make them out to be.

You can see the triple video where she still applies makeup etc.

But after meeting Sean she has tried to go down a very lo fi aesthetic. It's all his influence. Glad he's gone from her life. ..

Thinking lately about how this record will be thought of as an historical moment defining one. Even if the political ruminations on it aren't as deep or analytical as some of the critics have made them look like, it actually depicts a quite subjective yet intuitive way to look at the world at a certain moment. The feeling of tiredness that goes all over the album, the constant references to the archetypical EEUU motifs and how they are blurred and increasingly distant; the sketchy, unfinished and somehow confusion-inducing  aesthetics, the feeling of rupture with all what was once identity-defining, the Lana del Rey discourses going through crisis themselves... All of this just preceeded the most disruptive historical circumstances that the world -and EEUU in an extremely severe way- has gone through in nearly a century, and that just have happened to begin. When people, in 50 years -if there's still a world that will be able to retrospect- looks back to what was happening  just before all the pandemia and it's yet incalculable consequences, NFR will stand there as an artistic manifesto of a prophetic quality, an absolute zeitgeisty body of work. And the most amazing part is that Lana wasn't even planning to write it, and truly seemed to gave zero fucks about how it would be received or what kind of impact it would have.

Might seem stupid but does the partial sentence case stylising of the Norman Fucking Rockwell tracklist bother anybody else? I know it became a trend in 2018 for artists to go lower case, like Billie Eilish (don't smile at me and WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?) and Ariana Grande (Sweetener and thank u, next) seem to do now. But the sentence case just looks messy, both Norman Fucking Rockwell and Halsey's Manic do this...

The lack of punctuation in Fuck it I love you bothers me too!

I'd much prefer it to look like this so it kinda matches her other records when in playlists etc.

01. Norman Fucking Rockwell

02. Mariners Apartment Complex

03. Venice Bitch

04. Fuck It, I Love You

05. Doin' Time

06. Love Song

07. Cinnamon Girl

08. How To Disappear

09. California

10. The Next Best American Record

11. The Greatest

12. Bartender

13. Happiness Is A Butterfly

14. Hope Is A Dangerous Thing...

thinking about the greatest muscle beach baby rn

She basically admitted that he was an afterthought when she described her process for making that mv, and it's a bit of a shame. When she first put that photo on Insta of the two of them, I expected him to feature more heavily.

Anyway, lately I've been listening to more NFR but I still cannot fuck with HTD no matter how hard I try. Godtender is still extremely good.

Given that Gerald recently released that Moana song which is basically him talking about how amazing he thinks he is, I am more convinced than ever that NFR (the song) is about him. And maybe also James Franco, a bit.

End of transmission

Love the aesthetic of this era.. they aren't lazy or cheap as some people make them out to be.

You can see the triple video where she still applies makeup etc.

But after meeting Sean she has tried to go down a very lo fi aesthetic. It's all his influence. Glad he's gone from her life. ..

Wot

She was lo fi way before he turned up, and I hate to break it to you, but it's very possible they're still (or back) together.

:icant:

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Might seem stupid but does the partial sentence case stylising of the Norman Fucking Rockwell tracklist bother anybody else? I know it became a trend in 2018 for artists to go lower case, like Billie Eilish (don't smile at me and WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?) and Ariana Grande (Sweetener and thank u, next) seem to do now. But the sentence case just looks messy, both Norman Fucking Rockwell and Halsey's Manic do this...

The lack of punctuation in Fuck it I love you bothers me too!

I'd much prefer it to look like this so it kinda matches her other records when in playlists etc.

01. Norman Fucking Rockwell

02. Mariners Apartment Complex

03. Venice Bitch

04. Fuck It, I Love You

05. Doin' Time

06. Love Song

07. Cinnamon Girl

08. How To Disappear

09. California

10. The Next Best American Record

11. The Greatest

12. Bartender

13. Happiness Is A Butterfly

14. Hope Is A Dangerous Thing...

yeah it bothers me and i've seen many people post about it in the pre release thread when the track list was announced. it's just another reason why this era pisses me off. so messy and looks last minute or not well though out. we know she listens to Ariana, and i think that she was a big influence in the way hope is a dangerous thing was made to be all lowercase around the time when thank u, next was big. but i think hope being lowercase is probably for the best. if it followed the correct format, it would end up looking like HiaDTfaWLMtH- bIHi

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

so messy and looks last minute or not well though out.

Do we know how this happens? Does Lana submit the tracklist that way and her team just copy it as she typed it or did she request it to be like that? I remember the whole Ganja Burn / Ganja Burns typo on Nicki Minaj's Queen album... She said it was a typo when she sent the tracklist to her team.

Do we know how this happens? Does Lana submit the tracklist that way and her team just copy it as she typed it or did she request it to be like that? I remember the whole Ganja Burn / Ganja Burns typo on Nicki Minaj's Queen album... She said it was a typo when she sent the tracklist to her team.

I think she sends it and they type it.

Mfhp.gif

Personally I think some albums lately having song titles in lowercase is just a symptom of the streaming age. There’s lots of albums from even up to the 00s that have song titles or album titles in lowercase on the physical albums, but once they were added to these digital services, everything was properly capitalized. I’m thinking that albums created now, the way the songs are capitalized on the physical copy will be how they’re capitalized digitally because they’re doing it all at once. Whereas there’s lots of pre-streaming albums that have everything in lowercase on the physical copy and you wouldn’t know by looking online because I guess no one saw the lowercase as more than just album design. Imagine all the 00s albums that would have random uppercase letters in the middle of words if they copied the capitalization patterns from albums before now. I guess now artists have to be very specific with how they want songs capitalized. Makes me almost wonder if Lana didn’t know that and just wrote the song names that way thinking they’d clean it up lol. Just kidding about that last part, it was most likely intentional. But yeah it seems like the capitalization (or lack thereof) on albums only started carrying over to online probably within the past decade. Idk, I honestly don’t pay enough attention so I could be wrong.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

Capitalization in song titles? To ask for uniformity in them generally or from her might just be a case of dropping too much LSB (or is it lsb, Lsb?; btw--LSB==Lana spelled backward). Nevertheless, I can make up reasons for her cap usages (which are replicated across Amazon and iTunes). NfR obviously wants to reinforce the idea that "fucking" is not part of NR's real name (unlike William F. Buckley and Billy F. Graham, who really have those middle initials!). Mariners Apartment Complex is the name of a place (as is calif). Fiily, Ls, Htd, Hiab are just sentence case (which is always a reasonable option for a song). VB CG TNBAR, and B as title-case affects (or is it effects?) grandiosity/coolness about the song topics. "The greatest [loss of all]", by contrast, is sentence case to *not* promote coolness (I would have made it all lower case, it's a morbid song). hiadt... is an interesting case. She knows it's a sentence (and knows you know it's a sentence), so I suspect she just didn't want to write it in the sky with a jet plane and left it all in lower-case (i.e., Lana affecting (or is it effecting?) a cute peversion).

Random question. It just occurred to me that I typically listen to NFR in specific moments of the day like I typically listen to 1-6/7 either in the morning or in the afternoon whereas I mostly listen to 7/8 - 14 in the evening and at night. It’s like the first half has a morning/afternoon type of vibe and the second half (from CG) an evening/night vibe? Plus lots of songs in the second half have the word ‘night’ in them whereas none in the first part have. Is this a stretch?

Random question. It just occurred to me that I typically listen to NFR in specific moments of the day like I typically listen to 1-6/7 either in the morning or in the afternoon whereas I mostly listen to 7/8 - 14 in the evening and at night. It’s like the first half has a morning/afternoon type of vibe and the second half (from CG) an evening/night vibe? Plus lots of songs in the second half have the word ‘night’ in them whereas none in the first part have. Is this a stretch?

she did describe the album as being "day in the life" music or something along those lines, maybe it is intentional

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

Personally I think some albums lately having song titles in lowercase is just a symptom of the streaming age. There’s lots of albums from even up to the 00s that have song titles or album titles in lowercase on the physical albums, but once they were added to these digital services, everything was properly capitalized. I’m thinking that albums created now, the way the songs are capitalized on the physical copy will be how they’re capitalized digitally because they’re doing it all at once. Whereas there’s lots of pre-streaming albums that have everything in lowercase on the physical copy and you wouldn’t know by looking online because I guess no one saw the lowercase as more than just album design. Imagine all the 00s albums that would have random uppercase letters in the middle of words if they copied the capitalization patterns from albums before now. I guess now artists have to be very specific with how they want songs capitalized. Makes me almost wonder if Lana didn’t know that and just wrote the song names that way thinking they’d clean it up lol. Just kidding about that last part, it was most likely intentional. But yeah it seems like the capitalization (or lack thereof) on albums only started carrying over to online probably within the past decade. Idk, I honestly don’t pay enough attention so I could be wrong.

It is intentional yeah. They're like part of poems.

"Fuck it, I love you..."

"Norman fucking Rockwell..."

"...hope is a dangerous thing..."

And then obviously you have California for obvious reasons. TNBAR since it's the title of that best American record. Cinnamon Girl and Venice Bitch because they're names. Etc.