Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

is one more appropriate than the other? lmao :lmao:

Disabilities aren't chosen and drug addictions start from a choice.  :smokes:

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

i don’t think that means it’s okay to make fun of one over the other lmao

jokes are jokes, anyway lol in such a pc world i know someone will get butthurt about it anyway so  :omfg2:

i'm just clarifying tho

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

jokes are jokes, anyway lol in such a pc world i know someone will get butthurt about it anyway so :omfg2:

i'm just clarifying tho

i feel like i’ve not read a comment like this since i was fourteen lmao

I think you're wrong about it. The outro instrumental is really interesting and if you're not listening, you might not notice those things. If you dislike Cruel World, you'd prolly dislike this song. But CW was one of those songs that NEEDED an extended electric guitar (and maybe a little mellotron or synth, the way VB has those spacey, UFO sounds)

In a way, it's got a bit of a progressive sound to it, which is what i've been dying for Lana to do. I really want more like it. A ten minute track, who else in a "pop" world could do it like she did? Nobody..... which makes this track more special. I get that some people don't enjoy longer songs, and that's totally fair, but I definitely think she did it well for a ten minute track.

Plus, all the greats have at least one long track like that that are well executed. Bowie, Elton, etc etc

Amen!!! Preach!!!

Easily in my top 5 songs from her. I loved it since day one and I still listen to it weekly. It transcends me. She never fitted more in the alternative category than with this one. It’s soaring, gorgeous, trippy, beachy, so Cali, vintage- sounding. I sometimes wonder if we had not heard it before the album was released how mindfucked we would all be. It’s a masterpiece.

why does the majority dislike tnbar? i find myself really enjoying it and I actually really like what she did w this version. and love song too??? it’s always so low on everyones rankings and my feelings get so hurt because the second I heard the first snippet of it I knew this was gonna be one of my favorite songs and that’s still true lol. anyways heres my two cents.

1. hiab/tg/tnbar

2. love song

3. venice bitch

4. fiily/nfr

5. bartender

6. cinnamon girl

7. california

8. doin time

9. mac

10. hope

this whole album is a MASTERPIECE and I rlly hate ranking it (you could probably tell) but this is as best as I can do so :smile:

why does the majority dislike tnbar? i find myself really enjoying it and I actually really like what she did w this version. and love song too??? it’s always so low on everyones rankings and my feelings get so hurt because the second I heard the first snippet of it I knew this was gonna be one of my favorite songs and that’s still true lol. anyways heres my two cents.

1. hiab/tg/tnbar

2. love song

3. venice bitch

4. fiily/nfr

5. bartender

6. cinnamon girl

7. california

8. doin time

9. mac

10. hope

this whole album is a MASTERPIECE and I rlly hate ranking it (you could probably tell) but this is as best as I can do so :smile:

I personally dislike TNBAR because the demo is so superior and it really doesnt fit sonically with the rest of the record. It's clearly a Lust For Life outtake. The demo is a great track on its own.. but this new version in the context of the album is just a filler track and it breaks its flow. Admitelly TNBAR Is the only nitpick I have with this record.

07772f16031f371bb19c2650cab67790a3966c6d

Lana sounds like she couldn't sleep well while recording TNBAR demo tbh. I agree the original lyrics are way better but the final version is more enjoyable.

Also, the title track is BEAUTIFUL

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

i have to give tnbar credit for finally getting me into the demo version, before that, i tried so hard to like it but i just couldn't, but now i love it. however i definitely prefer the demo, it feels so strange listening to the album version with the different lyrics, it feels out of place. 

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

I think you're wrong about it. The outro instrumental is really interesting and if you're not listening, you might not notice those things. If you dislike Cruel World, you'd prolly dislike this song. But CW was one of those songs that NEEDED an extended electric guitar (and maybe a little mellotron or synth, the way VB has those spacey, UFO sounds)

In a way, it's got a bit of a progressive sound to it, which is what i've been dying for Lana to do. I really want more like it. A ten minute track, who else in a "pop" world could do it like she did? Nobody..... which makes this track more special. I get that some people don't enjoy longer songs, and that's totally fair, but I definitely think she did it well for a ten minute track.

Plus, all the greats have at least one long track like that that are well executed. Bowie, Elton, etc etc

Just because it's long does not mean it's good. Most long songs actually have an interesting sort of progression, VB just goes on and on without any kind of of development. They just add up this and that, another weird synth and some off-key "AaaaAAAAHhs", but there is nothing that really gives it an organic structure, nothing that "leads" the listener through VB. No interesting long guitar solo, no actual buil up, no transformation. The song just goes on and on and neither the instrumental nor her vocals would be anything more than "okay" even if it was shorter.

I really love long tracks and I listen to a lot of artists whose repertoire includes 6 - 8 minute songs. But a song being long for the sake of it is just not it. And just cause "she did that" and because "other great artists did it" doesn't mean it's good. Long songs have to be well executed and VB just really fails at that point.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

The production really salvages the track. her vocals sound faintly enchanting at the forefront of the verses, and the chorus is sung longingly, but still reluctantly, so my guess is that the driving emotion of the track sorta resembles a faint "oh hey ur back" when someone ends up seeing someone they love but tries playing it cool bc they're not over them yet. Or like a "i've seen this before, how are we gonna mess things up this time?" 

the ad libs are like, lazy "don't u remember? 's" and even if she sings them, she doesn't believe them herself, which can be connected to the lack of energy in her singing. better that, but it's actually just stiffness bc she doesn't know how to process. so in a way, although as much as she likes being the venice bitch, something in her's already knocking that something's off. 

the acoustic guitar sorta drives the track's sad but wise vibe. - do I get carried away again? 
the synths remind me of brain waves. - chaotic, conflicted 
the strings/ woodwinds express the loftiness of her dreaming - this is what could be, but will it hold? 
electric guitars - static

that accumulates to the conflict of the song, where the drum beat, guitars and her vocals clash around 2:10 to 2:40. and then dissipates around 3:15. she releases her fist clench. 

it almost seems like taunting around the 3:40 to the beautiful's 

sonar/ sub synths at ~ 5 min mark - tension. did he go for it? - 6 min. mark  til 7 min. they're goin at it again, same feeling til like 8:30. synths calm down. 

she's found her footing. track ends. 

For me, I'd say that's a TRIP. 

UV/Honeymoon

I always feel like people go extra hard for Hope because they recognize that it's a bad song and so they get protective and want to show love for it even more, because if not them, who will? It's like sticking up for the bullied kid in school.

I always feel like people go extra hard for Hope because they recognize that it's a bad song and so they get protective and want to show love for it even more, because if not them, who will? It's like sticking up for the bullied kid in school.

i genuinely find the song unique and beautiful and enjoy it

BE4-BF75-D-1-C25-4-A49-AE3-E-558-FB954-A

Eeeh gaaad, the rating thing again.

Y'all know this is just my opinion (and that I'm not Fantano), right?

top tier: NFR, VB, TNBAR, FIILY (masterpieces)

mid tier: HTD, HIADT, BT, C, MAC (near masterpieces)

lower tier: CG, HIAB, DT, LS, TG (just plain good)

For those commenting on the lack of bridges, the TNBAR lack of enthusiasm is strange. It has a classic LDR bridge and I think the lyrics are generally superior to the demo. E.g., the "Topanga's hot ..." lyric especially gives me the feels.  If she were going for a folk-album-like vibe, there could be fewer bridges for that reason, but when I went looking for evidence that folk music employs bridges less often than other genres, the only thing I could find is:

which at least supports the idea that there is a negative correlation.

u are incorrect

qfrWuBl.png

Or maybe liking or not liking is a song is something subjective and just cause the way you critic songs seldomly goes beyond "this is shit" and "this is lit", that does not mean people have to "stick up" for a track to justify why it may probably not be "shit".

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!