Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Don't get me wrong - there's a WHOLE lot of emotion in NFR, but it's a different kind of emotion. Pre-NFR Lana is Saturday night, NFR is Sunday afternoon. It's an album I listen to SO much when I'm cleaning, on the train, and so on, but don't actively reach for if someone's like "play something!" whereas I might with Ultraviolence, Honeymoon, Born To Die, even Lust For Life.

This is sort of like how I see it.

The biggest difference is the sort of emotions being expressed. I think her other albums are a sort of cinematic + dramatic kind of  emotion. NFR is a more bare and vulnerable kind of emotion. 

Also her past albums have a bit of pity party feeling, the emotions you get when you're in the heat of the action and everything feels like the end of the world. NFR sort of gives the vibe of moving on with your life but just sort of reflecting on your past. 

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

I honestly get kinda sad when so many people rate NFR so low. I don’t know why but it’s probably my favorite alongside UV. I honestly feel like we see a lot more of her authentic self in this album, and most of my current favorite songs come from this album (California, NFR, VB, MAC, HIAB). There’s just so many good songs in this album, and I think its biggest downfall is including TNBAR and the track list order is kinda weird. Like, as much as I listen to the album the second half always gets confusing to me because California seems like a pre-closing track as opposed to being almost right in the middle. Other than that though it’s just such a great album to me

sgopYhV.gif

I honestly get kinda sad when so many people rate NFR so low. I don’t know why but it’s probably my favorite alongside UV. I honestly feel like we see a lot more of her authentic self in this album, and most of my current favorite songs come from this album (California, NFR, VB, MAC, HIAB). There’s just so many good songs in this album, and I think its biggest downfall is including TNBAR and the track list order is kinda weird. Like, as much as I listen to the album the second half always gets confusing to me because California seems like a pre-closing track as opposed to being almost right in the middle. Other than that though it’s just such a great album to me

Many fans like Lana for the glamorous persona that she created with BTD and that she portrayed until HM, they don’t necessarily like her for what she really is as a human being outside of that persona. They don’t see her evolution and growth and wish she was still the same woman/persona that she was 10 years ago. That’s why you’ll see these fans complain when she doesn’t wear a lot or makeup, when her hair isn’t done, when she wears simple clothes, etc...

NFR is way more Elizabeth Grant than it is Lana Del Rey, that’s probably why this album is under appreciated by these fans.

I personally think it’s her most brilliant album. It’s raw and honest. No big production to impress and go along a glamorous persona, but instead something more intimate that really portrays well who she is as a grown up singer-songwriter-poet, and as a woman in her mid-thirties.

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

Many fans like Lana for the glamorous persona that she created with BTD and that she portrayed until HM, they don’t necessarily like her for what she really is as a human being outside of that persona. They don’t see her evolution and growth and wish she was still the same woman/persona that she was 10 years ago. That’s why you’ll see these fans complain when she doesn’t wear a lot or makeup, when her hair isn’t done, when she wears simple clothes, etc...

NFR is way more Elizabeth Grant than it is Lana Del Rey, that’s probably why this album is under appreciated by these fans.

I personally think it’s her most brilliant album. It’s raw and honest. No big production to impress and go along a glamorous persona, but instead something more intimate that really portrays well who she is as a grown up singer-songwriter-poet, and as a woman in her mid-thirties.

I agree with what you wrote a 100%. I love how her voice is showcased. I also love big production Lana, but sometimes her voice gets lost in the many layers of louder produced songs. On NFR, we really hear her.

I agree with what you wrote a 100%. I love how her voice is showcased. I also love big production Lana, but sometimes her voice gets lost in the many layers of louder produced songs. On NFR, we really hear her.

I definitely agree with the production thing. MAC was a breath of fresh air for me because her voice isn’t buried under reverb

sgopYhV.gif

This is exactly how I feel. After musing over Norman for almost a year now, it really is her most poetic, intricate, and intimate record. 

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

aHi All,

I just discovered Lana. I mostly listen to classical music as was listening to Tori Amos a couple weeks ago and thought I needed to find a newish great female song writer. I searched for Best Albums of 2019 and saw NFR at the top of most lists, so I bought it. I'm obsessed and bought all her other albums. I love Born to Die and Lust for Life also. Need to make time to listen to the others.

Only thing is, I don't like the NFR album art, so I found this picture and created my own! Thoughts?

post-53571-0-65985400-1595354681_thumb.jpg

aHi All,

I just discovered Lana. I mostly listen to classical music as was listening to Tori Amos a couple weeks ago and thought I needed to find a newish great female song writer. I searched for Best Albums of 2019 and saw NFR at the top of most lists, so I bought it. I'm obsessed and bought all her other albums. I love Born to Die and Lust for Life also. Need to make time to listen to the others.

Only thing is, I don't like the NFR album art, so I found this picture and created my own! Thoughts?

Welcome!! In sure you’ll love ultraviolence, Honeymoon, and paradise!!! I like ur NFR cover better than the real one :)

Welcome!! In sure you’ll love ultraviolence, Honeymoon, and paradise!!! I like ur NFR cover better than the real one :)

Awe thanks. Use it if you want. I like it better than the real one too.

I already can't wait for her next album. I was shocked when I first listened to NFR at how great it was. It's rare these days, IMO, that we get popular music this great. I consider Sinead, Tori, Alanis, Courtney, Liz and Lucinda the greatest female songwriters of my generation, and with NFR Lana joined them. Some of the songs on NFR really remind me of Tori.

I did listen to Paradise and really like American. 

I also read up on her history and it is really sad how attacked she was in the music circle with her SNL performance and people calling her a fake. I am so happy for her that NFR was so critically acclaimed because it sets the record straight.

Awe thanks. Use it if you want. I like it better than the real one too.

I already can't wait for her next album. I was shocked when I first listened to NFR at how great it was. It's rare these days, IMO, that we get popular music this great. I consider Sinead, Tori, Alanis, Courtney, Liz and Lucinda the greatest female songwriters of my generation, and with NFR Lana joined them. I did listen to Paradise and really like American.

I also read up on her history and it is really sad how attacked she was in the music circle with her SNL performance and people calling her a fake. I am so happy for her that NFR was so critically acclaimed because it sets the record straight.

Alanis? Did you say Alanis? You’re already my friend! (I consider her being the best songwriter in existence). Anyway, I’m happy you like NFR! Lana has always been a great songwriter, but NFR really revealed how amazing she was at storytelling and she established herself as a great poet too during that era.

Back when she started becoming famous with BTD, her live singing wasn’t very great and she was so nervous, she’s always suffered from stage fright, but now she sounds really good live, just like in the studio.

If you want to keep up with us and talk about her new album, you’re more than welcome to follow the COTCC pre-release thread! :)

~?~

Alanis? Did you say Alanis? You’re already my friend! (I consider her being the best songwriter in existence). Anyway, I’m happy you like NFR! Lana has always been a great songwriter, but NFR really revealed how amazing she was at storytelling and she established herself as a great poet too during that era.

Back when she started becoming famous with BTD, her live singing wasn’t very great and she was so nervous, she’s always suffered from stage fright, but now she sounds really good live, just like in the studio.

If you want to keep up with us and talk about her new album, you’re more than welcome to follow the COTCC pre-release thread! :)

Thanks. Yes, Under Rug Swept is one of the most important records in my life. It came into my life at a time when I really needed it, and it seriously gave me the courage I needed at that time. It felt like it was written for me. Of course, it wasn't. I have loved Alanis since JLP, but my favorites are Junkie and URS. She has a new album too.

If you don't know Sinead, you have to get "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got" - that's been my favorite record since it's release. It is so autobiographical that her label was hesitant to release it when presented to them. Fortunately they did.

If you like NFR, you should check out Tori Amos "Little Earthquakes" and "Under the Pink." "Cinnamon Girl" would fit perfectly on any Tori record. It's a very Tori-song. Lana reminds me so much of her - vocally and lyrically, and her ability to tell a story.

I know this is Lana boards, so I won't normally talk about other artists, but it got me excited finding another Alanis fan.

2 years later, and Mariners is still the song that transports me to another dimension 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

Just out of curiosity (I was poking around the RIAA site) do we know the actual sales of this album in the US (and maybe WW) yet? Is there anywhere that's reporting that with maybe weekly updates on the sales?

On top of NFR!, do we know these exact stats for her other albums?

I know RIAA is lacking on some updates, ie. BTD is only at 1x Platnium and UV is only at Gold.

Thanks in advance if you can help! :)

Thinking about this and how Thunder was the precursor to NFR!

Town ain't been the same since you left with all your friends / Heard you're back at the bar again, hanging out with your stupid friends ... but I don't fucking care

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

Can we take a moment and appreciate Fuck it I love you ....fuck it I love this song so much

It really aged like fine Wine

MAC and Venice Bitch are still such amazing songs

MAC especially lyrically and VB especially sonically

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

Goodbye to the NFR era... it was messy but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Lana released many of the best songs of her career, and she finally got the recognition she deserved.

This album is very special for me. I’ll never forget that evening I spent on the beach last year in August listenting to Venice Bitch talking to the guy I loved... and still love to this day, although our relationship was never possible. NFR speaks to me like no album has before. It’s weird how I’m a bit sad to leave this era behind. Lana really snapped with this album!

~?~

My dream is for this to be re-released with Violet poems as intervals between the songs. :air:

And 'deluxe' tracks including demos or acoustic versions of How to Disappear, Love Song and Norman. And the BAR demo. Commercially released Lana tracks a guy can dream.

3lfQEhw.png