Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Happy birthday Norman! I remember the wait for this album was so long and unbearable and when it finally came out I couldn't believe it. I have so many beautiful memories and feelings associated with this album. A forever classic. Thanks queen xoxo 

I've seen a lot of people basically saying that Norman is the product of a compromise made by Lana to earn more respect. Also, her Question of the Culture was supposedly an indication for her frustration with her work becoming a stripped-down version of her true feelings.

It would actually make me sad if this is the case bc I loved everything about Norman and how it was almost her antithesis to Ultraviolence. Although I obviously love her previous work too, especially Ultraviolence, Norman is genuinly a breath of fresh air for me. Also, Violet is almost the spiritual sister to Norman and I would assume that at least her poetry is 100% her true self bc no one can put pressure on her about it. But then, she probably wants to be respected as a writer in general.

The thing that gave me a hint of what might be going on was her being forced to distance herself from the song UV and Cola. I hate those interviewers for being like "Do you feel comfortable still singing about it?" There is only one way you can answer this when you just want the interviewer to shut up about it. Also, she was asked about her happiness in interviews all the time. I imagine all of this was incredibly annoying. When someone tells me that I can't do something bc it is unconventional I want to do it even more and I think a lot of people think like that.

I assume that when you get older your perspective on things can change and I believe she was in a different place in 2018 when she wrote Norman than before. It just seemed very authentic to me, especially because she finished LFL with Change and Get Free. It is possible that she only started missing her old days this year during quarantine (indicated by her ig posts) when she had time to reflect on her career and on last year. At least, I hope she didn't consciously censor herself to please others.

Anyways, these are just some thoughts on it and I'm really curious how she continues her journey. So far all her albums are distinct from each other so I don't want BTD 2.0 and I don't think that's what she has planned. It seems more and more likely that she puts out an album of covers or older unreleased songs after cocc:creep:

Feel free to disagree and share your thots.

ok but can we talk about how Venice Bitch is my most played song by her and I've been tracking my listens from her since 2014? I posted this on the lana subreddit a while ago but might as well post it here (really extra ik but I just ADORE this song so much (and I also may have candy flipped to it multiple times and have had the most amazing experience with it):

After the release of Mariners Apartment Complex, I remember thinking nothing could top NFR’s lead single, but honestly I was blown away the first time I heard Venice Bitch. It’s honestly such an amazing song. I’ve been a Lana fan for so long now (probably around 7 years) and no song has haunted me as much as Venice Bitch has. It’s so somber and hypnotic yet full of love and longing. It reminds me of summer sunsets at the boardwalk but also springtime breezes at the park. The music video even gives me chills even if it’s essentially a loop: from her singing and having fun with her friends, the streets of San Francisco’s Ocean Beach, the ending with her just crouching down with lights flashing on her. These past two years I would just listen to Venice Bitch whenever I was sad, happy, anxious, or wanting to create new memories. It’s my most listened to Lana song of all time. While the song is almost 10 minutes it only feels like 5, and the ending lines “if you weren’t mine I’d be jealous of your love” will always haunt me and make the wait worth it. The psychedelic synths and guitars and the voice overs really make this song, as well as the angelic chorus and slowcore verses. I really hope there’s people out there that enjoy and relish this song, I think it’ll be one of my favorites for life. The fact that I’m growing older with this song is just the cherry on top of the cake. I really hope she can do something like this in COTCC. 

(and then I replied to a comment with: [we're getting high now, because we're older] and "as the summer fades away, nothing gold can stay" is so heavy for me, especially since it feels like time has been flying and the world has changed so much ever since the song was released. The fact that she basically samples 1960s/70s lines ("you're in the yard, I light the fire" and the "crimson and clover, over and over"), paired with the vintage music video footage, I feel really connected with both the past, present, and future. It's such an extraordinary and almost spiritual feeling for me.)

sgopYhV.gif

On 9/1/2020 at 10:03 AM, wild caged animal said:

I've seen a lot of people basically saying that Norman is the product of a compromise made by Lana to earn more respect. Also, her Question of the Culture was supposedly an indication for her frustration with her work becoming a stripped-down version of her true feelings.

It would actually make me sad if this is the case bc I loved everything about Norman and how it was almost her antithesis to Ultraviolence. Although I obviously love her previous work too, especially Ultraviolence, Norman is genuinly a breath of fresh air for me. Also, Violet is almost the spiritual sister to Norman and I would assume that at least her poetry is 100% her true self bc no one can put pressure on her about it. But then, she probably wants to be respected as a writer in general.

The thing that gave me a hint of what might be going on was her being forced to distance herself from the song UV and Cola. I hate those interviewers for being like "Do you feel comfortable still singing about it?" There is only one way you can answer this when you just want the interviewer to shut up about it. Also, she was asked about her happiness in interviews all the time. I imagine all of this was incredibly annoying. When someone tells me that I can't do something bc it is unconventional I want to do it even more and I think a lot of people think like that.

I assume that when you get older your perspective on things can change and I believe she was in a different place in 2018 when she wrote Norman than before. It just seemed very authentic to me, especially because she finished LFL with Change and Get Free. It is possible that she only started missing her old days this year during quarantine (indicated by her ig posts) when she had time to reflect on her career and on last year. At least, I hope she didn't consciously censor herself to please others.

Anyways, these are just some thoughts on it and I'm really curious how she continues her journey. So far all her albums are distinct from each other so I don't want BTD 2.0 and I don't think that's what she has planned. It seems more and more likely that she puts out an album of covers or older unreleased songs after cocc:creep:

i honestly do not think NFR was a "compromise" of any sort. i think she does have to tow the line w her label sometimes (thinking particularly of them trying to turn LFL into a big pop single), but i think that generally this album was absolutely her own vision, vibe, and project and that she pursued the sounds that were inspiring to her. i know a lot of people here don't care for NFR (and blame jack for boring production etc) but lana seems to really call the shots about her records. i also thought it was great to see her branch out and continue to pursue new sonic landscapes, and i'm SO curious about how COCC will sound in terms of a departure from NFR.

aOaIzH2.gif

no matter what she says in the future about this record, or how it plays out. I think this is one of the records where I empathized the easiest, however that translates. there's just something so centering about it. and yeah she was basically talk singing for these but, the emotions carried through, and I loved the story and concepts behind it. i've theories of what it's about, from the things I felt, and what I heard from it, and what I didn't. it's ranking up to be one of my favorite albums. it feels like an album for the end of the world, and ur sitting back to back with yourself? watching shit go down, but it's like peaceful. at least, that's how I see it right now anyway. 

Cherish this so much. 

UV/Honeymoon

Does HoneyMouns go here? I low key don’t like their “I’m better than you because I leak songs and talk to Lana” attitude. And the fact that they’re a fan account but act like they have fans... idk that’s just me. The way they were answering people’s questions about that one song that leaked... came off so gross.

Just checked, and Mariners is still my top played song THREE YEARS CONSECUTIVE (18,19,20). Although it’s neck in neck with Cardigan and keeps changing between the two (with the rest of the folklore tracks not far behind)

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

On 9/1/2020 at 7:03 AM, wild caged animal said:

You said it so perfectly, I completely agree! I actually really disagree when people try and invalidate NFR by saying it was a “compromise”  or was “safe” or “watered-down” when really I think that Lana is just somebody whose perspective is ever-evolving and whatever her muse is at a given moment is what will be channeled into a song or a poem. Just because her previous records or future records adopt a different narrative from that album doesn’t mean it was ever disingenuous or “pandering” to any critics. 

On 9/12/2020 at 2:12 PM, House of Balloons said:

cinnamon stans are boring 

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Cinnamon sounds like a machine trying to produce a Lana song. It’s just a run-of-the-mill Lana song With slightly less dry production.

I was listening to FILLY and I noticed something and I never heard someone talking about it. In the Outro she sings Fuck it I love you in the background and the last Fuck it I love you sounds not like she is singing 'Fuck' to me it's sounds like a name ..." Bonnie I love you " or sth like that could be Ronnie or Donnie as well or maybe I'm going crazy 

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2: