Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

I find it kind of difficult to rank her albums, although I can say I enjoy lfl the least. The thing is it depends on my mood, so I’m kind of glad she released Norman because if I’m feeling strangely optimistic or hopeful Norman is a beautiful listen. I enjoy it for what it is and I’m glad it got the praise, Lana really deserved that.

i like your ultra-violent swing :grinds:

NFR really is a funny one. I find the the difference between NFR and Lana's other albums is kinda like the difference between watching Bob Ross do The Joy of Painting and watching something like Breaking Bad. NFR is almost like... slice of life, humble, background-ish music.... sorta like when you watch The Joy of Painting. It makes you feel happy and content and it's nice for sure. But then you put on Breaking Bad and it's a whole other vibe, you're on the edge of your seat, it's inspiring almost, it's exhilarating. That's like Lana's other albums to me... they conjure up such vivid imagery and make me feel stuff.

Don't get me wrong - there's a WHOLE lot of emotion in NFR, but it's a different kind of emotion. Pre-NFR Lana is Saturday night, NFR is Sunday afternoon. It's an album I listen to SO much when I'm cleaning, on the train, and so on, but don't actively reach for if someone's like "play something!" whereas I might with Ultraviolence, Honeymoon, Born To Die, even Lust For Life.

It's funny though cause I would rank NFR as my second fav album (after UV), but it's like a different kind of enjoyment.

Wq9zHLl.jpg

1. Ultraviolence/Honeymoon (can't decide, really Lana's peak)

2. NFR

And that's the TEA.

I see many of you saying that NFR is her most mainstream and commercial album when the whole BTD era and album were so so staged, so mainstream, so pop. And I'm not saying it in negative way, but that's facts. BTD is iconic and a good debut album but It's overrated for obvious reasons, it had a huge impact. LFL, well, exists but it gave us many classics. Paradise is an EP. And then Ultraviolence, Honeymoon and NFR are the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

07772f16031f371bb19c2650cab67790a3966c6d

Y'all can say that Love Song is the weakest song on the album or that it is lyrically just Lanas most used words but it is still so beautiful and I want it as my wedding song!!! 

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

1. Ultraviolence/Honeymoon (can't decide, really Lana's peak)

2. NFR

And that's the TEA.

I see many of you saying that NFR is her most mainstream and commercial album when the whole BTD era and album were so so staged, so mainstream, so pop. And I'm not saying it in negative way, but that's facts. BTD is iconic and a good debut album but It's overrated for obvious reasons, it had a huge impact. LFL, well, exists but it gave us many classics. Paradise is an EP. And then Ultraviolence, Honeymoon and NFR are the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Agree, BTD was way more mainstream and got more radio play than NFR could ever hope. NFR is not mainstream, it’s just simple and easy listening. Everything between BTD and NFR was much more complex and was less likely to catch the attention of the general pop.

Y'all can say that Love Song is the weakest song on the album or that it is lyrically just Lanas most used words but it is still so beautiful and I want it as my wedding song!!! 

Same! Love Song is so sweet and heartfelt. I am happy that it was included in NFR.

mypictr_380x225-7.png

Lana Del Rey updates on YouTube posted a link to an article of all the LA references on NFR. Very interesting. It also explains the sound of the album, its « minimalism », since it refers to Laurel Canyon and that singer-songwriter-filk sound in the 60s and 70s.

https://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/lana-del-rey-norman-fucking-rockwell-la-map/

I've been a fan since BTD, and I think Lana started to become my cult leader with Ultraviolence (for me, her best record). 

But.... Norman Fucking Rockwell is her most special album. Since I'm not having kids, I think I will show this record to all my dog's puppies (if he become a father or something) lol. 

I was listening Happiness is a Butterfly & Cinnamon Girl snippets when I met this guy in Barcelona, and after a year or some... NFR came out! I was pretty much in love. And even though this is a personal experience, I think Norman Fucking Rockwell is what love should be in all of the phases.

If I see Lana someday in the future, I think I will thank her for giving us this beautiful era from the very beginning (including all the anxiety she gave us on Instagram)

1 Ultraviolence 

2 NFR

3 Honeymoon 

4 Born to die / Paradise

5 Lust for life (Just because it's too long and it has the only two Lana's songs I hate "Love" & "Lust for life" feat. The Weekend)

omg i love that hoodie!

~INSTA1.gif

NFR really is a funny one. I find the the difference between NFR and Lana's other albums is kinda like the difference between watching Bob Ross do The Joy of Painting and watching something like Breaking Bad. NFR is almost like... slice of life, humble, background-ish music.... sorta like when you watch The Joy of Painting. It makes you feel happy and content and it's nice for sure. But then you put on Breaking Bad and it's a whole other vibe, you're on the edge of your seat, it's inspiring almost, it's exhilarating. That's like Lana's other albums to me... they conjure up such vivid imagery and make me feel stuff.

Don't get me wrong - there's a WHOLE lot of emotion in NFR, but it's a different kind of emotion. Pre-NFR Lana is Saturday night, NFR is Sunday afternoon. It's an album I listen to SO much when I'm cleaning, on the train, and so on, but don't actively reach for if someone's like "play something!" whereas I might with Ultraviolence, Honeymoon, Born To Die, even Lust For Life.

It's funny though cause I would rank NFR as my second fav album (after UV), but it's like a different kind of enjoyment.

YES! My most played lana album is NFR cause it's so easy to listen to and I just open it by reflex whenever I want to listen to something. But that doesn't necessarily mean that I sit and listen it without doing anything else, only living in the music. If I wanted to get lose in music, think about it, relate to lyrics and feel emotions I'd just go listen UV. 

YES! My most played lana album is NFR cause it's so easy to listen to and I just open it by reflex whenever I want to listen to something. But that doesn't necessarily mean that I sit and listen it without doing anything else, only living in the music. If I wanted to get lose in music, think about it, relate to lyrics and feel emotions I'd just go listen UV. 

I totally feel the same!

Wq9zHLl.jpg