Elle

"American Standards & Classics" Cover Album - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

Just now, takeitdoen said:

That's a really arbitrary comment, seeing as the civil rights movement - and the initial steps towards the fight against racism in America - continued well into the 70s with the Black Power Movement (the decades you said you care about). Are you just using that as an excuse to say you don't like jazz staples, big band and old time musicals?

Because I've got bad news, the canonical works for the American Songbook goes from the 20s to the 50s. :eek:

:ohsnap2:

I'm semi-serious as usual... but

... the fight against racism is a good thing, no? So that only proves my point about 60s/70s being a great time for the US. I personally prefer that time over The Great Depression and Racial Segregation tbh

4 minutes ago, recklessdaughter said:

Girl, in the 30s everyone was singing the same songs, regardless of race. Music wasn’t censored and turned into white bread til the 40s but whatever floats ur boat. I’m hoping for some dirty blues.

Girl, I didn't say music was segregated lol. I explain myself in the post above:hillary:

Just now, wild caged animal said:

Girl, I didn't say music was segregated lol

I mean, she’s covering music, not a time period. You don’t have to gatekeep yourself from everything just because it’s from a less progressive time in history. Or else you’ll be denouncing everything from this time too in a few decades. If the art itself isn’t racist, idk what the problem is.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

Just now, recklessdaughter said:

I mean, she’s covering music, not a time period. You don’t have to gatekeep yourself from everything just because it’s from a less progressive time in history. Or else you’ll be denouncing everything from this time too in a few decades. If the art itself isn’t racist, idk what the problem is.

I'm not doing that... I was just trying to win the argument. That's all. It wasn't supposed to be that deep. Calm down.

Catherine Deneuve GIF - CatherineDeneuve GIFs

If you aren't a poc then why did you feel the need to make that statement. And if you are a poc....love, please just smile and wave. This is not the time nor the place. Now let's get back on topic before warning points are served.

Thank you

- a poc

"And when you see my face on every billboard and TV screen, you'll regret the day you walked away" :lanahairflip3: :legend:

Just now, HoneymoonDaddy said:

If you aren't a poc then why did you feel the need to make that statement. And if you are a poc....love, please just smile and wave. This is not the time nor the place. Now let's get back on topic before warning points are served.

Thank you

- a poc

this

Just now, wild caged animal said:

I'm not doing that... I was just trying to win the argument. That's all. It wasn't supposed to be that deep. Calm down.

Catherine Deneuve GIF - CatherineDeneuve GIFs

Girl, you’re the one trying to turn it into an argument. I just made a joke with your post to say that I do want 30s music. Then I defended 30s music since it’s wild af lol. It’s not that serious.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

4 minutes ago, wild caged animal said:

Ok. Calm down. I was clearly just trying to win a silly argument. Not everything is meant to be a political statement

It wasn't even political until you MADE it political by bringing up ...wait for it....politics. Please, kindly, stop. You're making it worse for yourself.

"And when you see my face on every billboard and TV screen, you'll regret the day you walked away" :lanahairflip3: :legend:

Just now, HoneymoonDaddy said:

It wasn't even political until you MADE it political by bringing up ...wait for it....politics. Please, kindly, stop. You're making it worse for yourself.

I was bringing up history. Because we were talking about what decades Lana should cover songs from. I just prefer 60s/70s Americana over 30s Americana.

@wild caged animal I am a really big fan of you, but it's really counterproductive to say something inflammatory (and irrelevant) to coincide with your opinion, sprinkle a GIF on top and think you've won an argument. This is the equivilient of saying I hate music from the 40s because that's when the atom bomb was made, or I hate music from the 80s because that's when AIDS originated - it just has no correlation to the quality of the music at the time. It would be much better if you discussed which characteristics or hallmarks exactly you dislike about music from the 30s, rather than deferring to arbitary world issues (racial ones no less).

People go on and on about how they apparently 'hate' old timey music, jazz, and songs from musicals but never say why? Is it the instrumentation and orchestration? The structure? The tempo and musicality? Do you think the composers are hacks, or the lyrics are dumb? It could be any or a combination but the answer definitely isn't 'segregation'.

You look extremely disingenous not understanding that positionality and just telling people to calm down, and this is why people are not letting the usual random comments slide. I'm sorry if you feel attacked, this is all just originating from people who are legitimiately looking forward to the record and are wanting people to just let us enjoy this extra material as it comes. I'm really happy to continue this conversation over DM or in another topic (just tag me) but please don't keep digging yourself into a hole and not discussing MUSIC in this thread.

3lfQEhw.png

Yeah I’m buzzing with the energy again that we aren’t getting this this month. Christmas is a Friday I guess so it could happen but it’s getting sus that it’s not being mentioned. I get she’s into “surprises” and “minimal promo” these days but I’m not sure how much of that is actually intentional. 

22 hours ago, wild caged animal said:

Ok. Calm down. I was clearly just trying to win a silly argument. Not everything is meant to be a political statement

If you are just saying stuff to "win a silly argument" then maybe you should check your priorities and think about what you are posting a bit more

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!