Elle

"American Standards & Classics" Cover Album - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

2 minutes ago, Jimmytheworst said:

Guys, like are we even expecting this album to come out in less than five days without a single mention of it's release from Lana... Don't want to sound mean or anything but am i the only one who thinks this is sept 5th all over again ?

50-50?

i mean, I want to believe, but have no reason to. The only thing that would make it possible for Friday is because it’s digital only and is a small project needing no promo, and it could be a cute and small EP rather than a whole album. But yeah, it could be Sept 5 all over again loll.
Anyways, she’ll say something this week if it’s not coming. 

I mean she did say "all things Americana" in this post https://www.instagram.com/p/CHUAi0FJ9DK/?igshid=1ju256c95e4d3 so I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that she might include some non classics and standards, but yeah. 

She will cover whatever she feels like covering, and we know she sucks at describing albums, so I don't expect this to be an exception

:agree:

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

About the list/catalog some of you brought, I’d see those as « song possibilities » rather than songs to pick from. I mean, it’s her we’re talking about here loll. 
She mentioned Patsy Cline songs she wanted to cover (is she considered « American standard? » Vintage America though, which is right up Lana’s alley). 
I’m not expecting recent songs (nothing earlier than the 70s). And I’m still wishing for a HQ release of The Good Life :flutter:

(when I think of it, 2020 was good to me in terms of unreleased form her I wanted, with the Good Life and Life is Beautiful leaks and Yosemite « almost confirmation » on Chemtrails...). 

She is a lot into surprise releases lately and she wanted to surprise release  COTCC at first. Maybe her label doesn't let her surprise release her major albums because of the charts & sales but with this being something like a side project her management could be okay with a surprise release.  So in conclusion I  think there is strong possibility that this could be a surprise release (probably this week or this month at least). I know she gave us  in her live stream almost a release date (Christmas) but it's Lana so everything is possible :smile2:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

I laughed when she said ‘for Christmas’ lol She’s lazy and probably spent all her time with insta girlies.  She will probably just put out one song and the album in February or something.  

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

1 hour ago, iwannadie said:

she never really really said the 25th tho

She did say it was a Christmas gift. If this doesn’t come out this month, I’d say it’s fair to say it’s been unofficially delayed or it’s been scrapped. 

here we are almost at christmas and no word from her.... lol wtf

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

I’m waiting til the end of December and if we haven’t gotten it or heard anything about, I’ll assume it’s been postponed til after Chemtrails. Also if we get anything Chemtrails-related before the month ends (single, video, preorder, etc.), then I’ll assume that’s her non-confrontational way of delaying this project. I wouldn’t even mind if it was delayed as long as it doesn’t get scrapped.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

9 hours ago, Mer said:

i would die if she covered “Puttin’ On The Ritz”. Does that count as a “classic”?

Hide contents

3d216097b74f1078857086ef4caebcf6.jpg

Yes----not so much a 'classic,' which is a vague term, but rather an 'American standard,' of which there are hundreds, if not thousands.

An American standard is basically any very-famous-in-its-era song from 1850 to about 1970, though the term is usually used more for songs from the 1920s to the late 1960s.

But technically, 'Lorena,' 'Marching Through Georgia,' 'Sweet Adeline' and 'Ida, Sweet As Apple Cider' are American standards, and 'By The Old Mill Stream' too. Some of which were popular during the Civil War. 

8 hours ago, Mer said:

as @Angelic Tropico pointed out, the Great American Song Book is an assumption. I’m hoping she explores some more “alternative” songs that didn’t make the list! “American Classics” can have a lot of different definitions—especially since the song book does not include any records past the 1950s. 

Edit: actually her mentioning she wants to do Patsy Cline songs is proof that the album will go beyond the Great American Song Book; as none of Patsy Cline’s original songs are in it to my knowledge. 

Yes, some of Cline's songs are American standards, especially because there is no such thing as a finite 'Great American Songbook' or absolute set of 'American Standards.'

'Walking After Midnight,' 'Heartache,' 'Crazy,' 'Back in Baby's Arms,' 'She's Got You,' and 'I Fall To Pieces' are definitely 'American standards,' as well as songs she covered that had been recorded before, but which Cline's versions made famous, or were considered 'the definitive version,' like 'The Wayward Wind' and 'You Belong To Me.'