Monicker

Minor General Questions that Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Does anyone know who produced "Is This Happiness" and where it was recorded? Being an iTunes-only bonus track, it's not listed in the CD booklet for Ultraviolence, anI haven't been able to find anything on it other than who wrote it. The style sounds a bit like other songs produced by Dan Auerbach at Easy Eye Studios, but then again, I thought the same thing about "Black Beauty," which was not recorded there or produced by Dan.

Does anyone know who produced "Is This Happiness" and where it was recorded? Being an iTunes-only bonus track, it's not listed in the CD booklet for Ultraviolence, anI haven't been able to find anything on it other than who wrote it. The style sounds a bit like other songs produced by Dan Auerbach at Easy Eye Studios, but then again, I thought the same thing about "Black Beauty," which was not recorded there or produced by Dan.

It just reeks of Rick Nowels.

Do we know why Pop Lana (eg. Go Go Dancer & Behind Closed Doors) never saw the light of day?

There was a time before VG where she was heading to a more pop style - Kinda Outta Luck, National Anthem, Hey Lolita, You Can be The Boss were released before VG (of course it's not really the convencional pop songs but still more pop than what she usually does nowadays). Basically after VG they changed all the songs to fit the "indie noir" thing they were promoting her - that's why the demos of BtD songs sounds so different of studio versions.

"Shockingly enough, 'Video Games' was a key moment for me. I was chasing hits, fast songs. I would be wondering 'how am I going to pole-dance in the spotlight to this, then?' I put up 'Video Games' for myself. It was slow, it was a ballad, it kind of had no chorus. I put it up on Youtube and it worked. Every day there were thousands more views. I just sat there wondering where these people were coming from. I had no idea how they'd heard it but people came and started talking to me because of that song. It was not what I expected. But what a relief. If I could have a shot at singing my Hollywood glam ballads as well as my more upbeat gangsta brother versions of those songs, that would be great. Just not having to try and sing like other people."

http://www.vicarstreet.ie/component/eventlist/details/10215-lana-del-rey-live-at-the-marquee-cork.html

Does anyone know if Lana said in an interview what is the song that makes it move more? or in a concert that makes it move to any particular memory ...

As happens when Billie Joe Armstrong sings "Wake Me Up When September Ends", because it concerns the death of his father etc etc

thx

Could someone help me find official reviews for Lana's first release? I know there were reviews written after Lana became famous, but I've been looking (in vain) for reviews from 2010. Thanks in advance for any help. :)

There really isn't much for AKA, largely due to her obscurity at the time and it only being available for purchase on Amazon and iTunes for a short period of time. (Likely due to an oversight, it was apparently available on less popular music vendor sites for longer. What customer reviews there were on Amazon and iTunes can be seen here and here, though it should be noted at least one of the iTunes reviews appears planted.) About the only contemporaneous "professional" review I can think of is this one by a Lake Placid area newspaper, the Adirondack Daily Enterprise, which conflated the album with the Kill Kill EP. However, there are a number of early interviews and show reviews that discuss the EP and allude to her then-forthcoming full-length album.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

So, a couple of small question for y'all... or maybe a solicitation of opinions... :)

1) That little fluttery thing that Lana does with her voice.  I really like it!  Is that something unique to her, or do other artists do that, too?  Here's a sample... at 4:06: (Yes, it's the imfamous SNL video, but it's the first example that came to mind... granted, it got better as time went on):

http://vimeo.com/80513813

2) Any thoughts as to the purpose/reasoning behind the distortion effects she sometimes uses?  In "Is This Happiness," the piano is normal, but the strings are behind some kind of distortion filter.  There may be a guitar in there, too; hard to tell with the distortion.  And in "Flipside," the guitar and bass guitar are distorted.  I can't help but be curious as to why she seems to like the distortion effect.

2) Any thoughts as to the purpose/reasoning behind the distortion effects she sometimes uses?  In "Is This Happiness," the piano is normal, but the strings are behind some kind of distortion filter.  There may be a guitar in there, too; hard to tell with the distortion.  And in "Flipside," the guitar and bass guitar are distorted.  I can't help but be curious as to why she seems to like the distortion effect.

The distortion effect follows some of Lana's favourite artists. I was trying to find a Nirvana song that really captures it, but couldn't quite, but here are two Cat Power songs that show the sort of approach to a piano ballad, and a simple electric guitar song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoPz4vj2SIA

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

RE: those gifs from a potential She's Not Me video, i've been trying to search for them on tumblr. If somebody reblogged them (which they definitely did) they will still be active. We just need to find it.

I did some searches like site:tumblr.com "lanadelrey-fm"

and brought up these

https://www.facebook.com/ElSpamDeLaViejaChancluda/posts/429171383775143

this is more relevant:

tumblr_m3kzp3Resw1rtpwoso1_500.gif

http://sneaken07.tumblr.com/post/22499688348/lanadelreyfm-lanadelrey-fm-is-launching-on-may

&

http://sneaken07.tumblr.com/post/22573966086/lanadelreyfm-lanadelrey-fm-is-now-live-go-sign

The gifs were a part of the countdown to the site opening. Pretty much every photo post is still alive in some form or another so I think they are out there

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey