Elle

Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Chemtrails Over the Country Club  

869 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Chemtrails Over the Country Club?

• White Dress
    • Chemtrails Over the Country Club
    • Tulsa Jesus Freak
    • Let Me Love You Like a Woman
    • Wild at Heart
    • Dark But Just a Game
    • Not All Who Wander Are Lost
    • Yosemite
    • Breaking Up Slowly
    • Dance Till We Die
    • For Free

Nice gratuitous mention of the album at the bottom of a completely unrelated story on the Australian national broadcaster's website:

We all have a story, and I'm thrilled to see that the mercurial bard of Californian gothic, Lana Del Rey, has just released another album of her own stories: here's the title track and it's hypnotic, and it's gorgeous and it's strange, just like the best tales are.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

6 minutes ago, nowyoudo said:

Such a pretty album, it's prettiness goes along with Honeymoon and NFR. I am very pleased with the full album. Thank You and Congrats Lana!:wub::legend:

Glad you love it. :) I rank it second right now i think. i do love ultraviolence, but the bonus tracks are some of her worst songs ever, and i detest the other woman. the rare lana song i can't listen to past the 10 second mark

18 minutes ago, barttttender said:

there's nothing simplistic about tracks like The Greatest or Venice Bitch, and especially not a 1 hour long record that touches upon so many themes and production styles. 

You're using the word incorrectly, and devaluating the artists' contribution - simply because it doesn't work for you. Let me know which part of this statement is untrue?

Lmao I'm not. It's clear I was talking mostly about production compared to her previous work and simplistic/minimalistic production is not even a bad thing, so why are you even putting it like that? I'm not saying the albums were lazy or not well done? It's very obvious that both NFR (as a whole album) and COCC have a more minimalistic approach in terms of production than the hundreds of layers of instruments Ultraviolence,  Honeymoon, Lust For Life etc has. (Excluding Venice Bitch)

And again, I never said that's a bad thing, I was just elaborating on why it might not click for me

Hated Yosemite the first couple of listens but after — only god knows — how many listens , found myself singing

:legend:we did it for fun, we did it for free 

i did it for you, you did it for me 

we did it for all the right reasons :legend:

while doing inane tasks around the house, I truly get it now. I’ve been awoken to greatness. My third eye is now unlocked and opened :bearnod:

7a489a16ce1d35d7a8253fa33e350a39.gif

2 minutes ago, Chorli Xbox said:

Lmao I'm not. It's clear I was talking mostly about production compared to her previous work and simplistic/minimalistic production is not even a bad thing, so why are you even putting it like that? I'm not saying the albums were lazy or not well done? It's very obvious that both NFR (as a whole album) and COCC have a more minimalistic approach in terms of production than the hundreds of layers of instruments Ultraviolence,  Honeymoon, Lust For Life etc has. (Excluding Venice Bitch)

I disagree. Firstly, NFR and Chemtrails have completely different production, the latter being more simplistic (although minimalist is what I would use personally).

With strings on NFR, like 300 guitars on VB, surf drums on FILY, jingle bells on Disappear, etc - there's so much going on on NFR production wise. It just isn't 'simplistic'.

If anything, most of Ultraviolence features a standard rock band type of production - a few guitars, bass, drums and a singer, drenched in reverb. 

1 hour ago, Chorli Xbox said:

I'm so sad that this album doesn't click for me... It's just boring and plain to me. I loved all of Lana's albums, NFR was great but felt simplistic to me (but still her best, don’t get me wrong), and I was already afraid she would make the production etc more simplistic.

Idk, maybe I'm just more a production whore than I thought I was. I really loved the cinematic theme of Honeymoon, trap inspired L4L, psychedelic rock Ultraviolence, dark and modern BTD+Paradise and raw yet simplistic NFR. This album feels like a more empty version of NFR to me :(

It's ok! I also personally love heavily produced songs. This album, while objectively well done like NFR, doesn't hit me the way the others did and it's just due to a lack of production compared to the others. I'm definitely 100% in love with White Dress though ? But otherwise, while I'm generally not into piano ballads/acoustic-like/stripped down styles of music, I'm sure her future works will be appealing as she experiments often :hooker:

I know I’m late to the party but I’ve just read Jack’s tweets and they’re literally the sweetest I hope y’all already flipped off people that were saying in the past that Jack wants to cut Lana off and hates cotcc :hype:

1 hour ago, whiteroses said:

wow yosemite is hitting now... i want it to be a hot summer’s evening with the sun setting as this plays wow 

@salvatore it grew on me:trisha: looks like i won’t have to be drowned 

im watching you

10 minutes ago, barttttender said:

I disagree. Firstly, NFR and Chemtrails have completely different production, the latter being more simplistic (although minimalist is what I would use personally).

With strings on NFR, like 300 guitars on VB, surf drums on FILY, jingle bells on Disappear, etc - there's so much going on on NFR production wise. It just isn't 'simplistic'.

If anything, most of Ultraviolence features a standard rock band type of production - a few guitars, bass, drums and a singer, drenched in reverb. 

Well I respectfully disagree. My friends that listen to Lana, my friends I force to listen to Lana (lol) also had the same vibe with NFR. Don’t get me wrong, the album is amazing, but listening to BTD, UV, HM, LFL first and then listening to NFR, it feels a lot more raw, simple, minimalistic and intimate. Which is why I loved NFR, but I don’t like COCC right now probably... I probably expected a lot more complex production, vocal layers with reverb etc indeed.

I quote from a review from Pitchfork " But here, with delicacy and grace, he and Lana find new wings in minimalism, fresh air to breathe, a structural relief."

And from The Edge "It's Lana Del Rey's best album yet - through its somber, minimalist production"

so i played the album for my dad this evening during an errands run and i was shocked (but happy) that he took a liking to it!! he didn't like NFR, he likes her BTD stuff and some of UV/Honeymoon. but yeah, i'm glad that he had good things to say about chemtrails. i thought he was gonna hate it like NFR since it's slower. :hype:

55-DE2-A0-B-B97-D-4347-B872-77-FA28787-E

miss born to lose

I think my top three is NAWWAL Yosemite and Tulsa Jesus Freak :yesnod:

but then literally all the other tracks are at the same level so like its kinda impossible to choose a top three :defeated:

Y0jLcfB.gif.˚₊‧.༻𓆩❤︎𓆪 My love's pourin' 𓆩‪‪❤︎𓆪༺.‧₊˚. yxuiMLe.gif
34h2wyS.gif

°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||Like a waterfall.||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||

1:32━━━━━♡────2:42

⇆ | ◁◁ ▐ ▌ ▷▷ | ↺

1 hour ago, Chorli Xbox said:

I'm so sad that this album doesn't click for me... It's just boring and plain to me. I loved all of Lana's albums, NFR was great but felt simplistic to me (but still her best, don’t get me wrong), and I was already afraid she would make the production etc more simplistic.

Idk, maybe I'm just more a production whore than I thought I was. I really loved the cinematic theme of Honeymoon, trap inspired L4L, psychedelic rock Ultraviolence, dark and modern BTD+Paradise and raw yet simplistic NFR. This album feels like a more empty version of NFR to me :(

Give it some time. You'll find yourself humming the melodies and then needing to hear the songs and you'll find yourself liking it more as time goes on. It took me like a week and a half or 2 weeks thus far to actually like it. I hated it on first listen but i really like it now. (without For Free tbh)

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole