Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

Should I dislike Ellie Goulding on the basis of Better Than That? :ohno:

Do you think this feud will go public? I'm sure when the album drops people will speculate.

I don't like Ellie so I'm glad Ed Sheeran and now Marina have called her out for being a slut

BzhmW.png

Feeling guilty and bad, but i couldn't resist temptation ...

Happy really grew on me (I guess one reason for this might have been Marina stating it's not about religion) and i really like how it builds up and how her voice has depth in this one (a bit TFJ like) - 8/10

Froot is and will always be my favourite little gem from this record. Even though I have to say my expectations were set different than what the record actually turned out like. the sound of this song make me visionise vibrnat colours, greek pillars decorated with plastic fruits and an animated starlit sky. Greek goddess meets Rainbow Disco. 10/10

I'm A Ruin ... I still think she is capable of more, but within the context of the album it also grew on me. I also think it's one of the songs you have to be "in the mood for" to get them. 8/10

Blue .. I'm not to crazy about the synthesizer vibe but the lyrics are amongst the best ones of this record. It's definitly not bad and fits the Froot-rainbow-disco theme and i think it also might be a grower. 7/10

Forget should have been the main single in my opinion. It's really good without being to deep with anything. Her vocal performance is really good. 8/10

I like the beachy-vibe of Gold but I also think that it might be a song I won't ever be very crazy about. Nice to have it, but nothing I would have asked for. 6/10

Can't Pin Me Down is my least favourite from this record.  I don't like the filters and I think the prodcution, song-construct and melody isn't that exciting. 5/10

Solitaire is a big gem, one of my favourites from the record. I like how it's a bit like Teen Idle without the super-suicidal vibe. The instrumental and vocals sound so fragile and i think the filter is ok on this song. 9/10

Better Than That is also a really good song, the melody, her vocals and the instrumental are super good. I also like the lyrics somehow. 9/10

Weeds is good in a very classic Marina way. Not really sure what it reminds me of, but it's nice to have this peace of "essential Marina" song. It's not like it's one of my super-favourites from the record, but it's a solid ballad. 8/10

Savages - another one of my FROOT-favs. I like how it builds up, I think the lyrics are ok but basically it really reminds me of TFJ-Upbeat-Marina alot. I love the prechorus, it#s really SO TFJ-like. Not just the melody and vocals but also the instrumental. 9/10

The lyrics of Immortal have been discarded as corny, I really love them (and i think it should'nt be seen as a general statement but a personal feeling). Like Froot, I loved the song from minute 1, the fragility, the emotions, the ballrom-vibes mixed with simplicism and also those VOTD guitars during the chorus. Together with Blue and Forget, this is one of the songs that actually met my expectations for the album after hearing Froot. I think it's a good closer but also a fantastic song just "on it's own". 10/10

Basically I think Froot is good, but I don't think it can win against TFJ or EH as a body of work.

TFJ had this combination of indie-instrumentals, diversive vocals, interesting lyrics and an edgy production. It also had an overall vibe, both considering the lyrics and the atmosphere of the music. The story of longing for success in order to make up personal problems and the failure of this attempt was all over the place.

The same with EH. It had a bitter feeling and was combining Marinas unique voice with interesting electropop aspects. The "something's wrong" and "love is toxic" thing could be spotted in every track.

Froot feels more like a compilation of songs. Some songs share features in production, topic and sound but others are completely different. Also, the transitions are meh in many cases. Marina never did a lot with transitions, interludes or gapless stuff. But the album always flowed, because the song intro/outros matched each other. Either way because they (sonically) carried on a feeling, evolved into another one or just performed a style-break between the songs. This isn't very well executed on Froot.

Also, Froot feels a bit short. Happy, Froot and I'm A Ruin leave you waiting for more. But this middle part doesn't really happen, ut instead there are some songs that seem to "flow by" a bit without you reallly getting a chance to get them (Gold, Can't Pin Me Down).

Basically, I am satisfied with Froot and i am sure it will hgrow more on me, like every Marina record did, but I don't realyl thing it's my favourite and comes off a bit flat compared to her previous efforts. Especially the many fades aren't my kind of thing.

Still, I think Marina can be proud of it and I am excited for what she will pull off with this new material.

Please keep in mind this is a first-listen rewiev, so my opinions might change and some thoughts may be a bit ... hasty.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Blue gives me Hannah Diamond essence

YES! THE INTRO! That was the first thing I thought as well. I skipped right to Blue when it leaked, and I immediately went: "WAit, isn't this.... another Diamond?"

lABVyGE.png

I don't know how to rate this album yet... It still hasn't fully sunk in... It seems ridiculous to call it better than the Family Jewels, which I've played to death and back and is possibly my favorite album of all time, yet I think FROOT is Marina's most impressive work yet and ugh I just love it so much..

I kind of want to say Froot is slightly better or around equal TFJ, and both are superior to EH. TFJ evolves naturally into Froot, and EH kind of seems like a side-plot along the way.