Surf Noir

Unpopular Music Opinions

8 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

Not necessarily unpopular I think?

But I had no idea Janet Jackson until two years had any impact or even a music career besides that’s the way love goes or scream with Micheal.

She’s had no cultural impact in the UK and is completely forgotten- I never heard any of her music besides those two songs growing up. 
I looked and she has quite a few legacy hits here so it was surprising none of her music played here like Madonna or Mariah etc.

I also think her music is quite overrated-there are some great cuts but you can’t hear her vocals half the time and that just breaks most of her songs.

yeah she's definitely had a lot of impact in the US and at her peak maybe even more than mariah (minus the christmas songs)

the 2004 super bowl thing definitely has affected her as a legacy act and she's not really making music regularly anymore unlike madonna & mariah who are still making new music and have very dedicated fanbases

i would definitely NOT say she's overrated though if anything she's probably underrated especially because of her being forgotten in the UK and pigeonholed in the US

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

let’s talk about Run Away With Me by Carly Rae Jepson

for a song with verses that good, the chorus really falls flat. It should be more sung than chanted. Like the chorus is alright but it should’ve been way more of a release because…

that pre chorus is D E A D L Y. Literally one of the best pre-choruses/hooks that I have EVER heard. The melody is so fucking catchy, and it just sounds so good

”cause you make me feel like

I could be driving you all night

and i’ll find your lips in the street lights

I wanna be there with you”

negAbhB.png

13 minutes ago, godsmonster said:

let’s talk about Run Away With Me by Carly Rae Jepson

for a song with verses that good, the chorus really falls flat. It should be more sung than chanted. Like the chorus is alright but it should’ve been way more of a release because…

that pre chorus is D E A D L Y. Literally one of the best pre-choruses/hooks that I have EVER heard. The melody is so fucking catchy, and it just sounds so good

”cause you make me feel like

I could be driving you all night

and i’ll find your lips in the street lights

I wanna be there with you”

run away with me is one of the weaker songs on that album honestly :bebe:
it's a great song but it's just... not as good compared to some literal juggernauts

the way i see virtually no one talking about MAKING THE MOST OF THE NIGHT (actual pop heaven), all that, when i needed you, LA hallucinations...

2 minutes ago, the ocean said:

run away with me is one of the weaker songs on that album honestly :bebe:
it's a great song but it's just... not as good compared to some literal juggernauts

the way i see virtually no one talking about MAKING THE MOST OF THE NIGHT (actual pop heaven), all that, when i needed you, LA hallucinations...

Run Away With Me is one of two songs I know by her (the other obv being Call Me Maybe) so i don’t know about the rest of the album. I kept hearing for years that people considered it a perfect pop record

negAbhB.png

Just now, godsmonster said:

Run Away With Me is one of two songs I know by her (the other obv being Call Me Maybe) so i don’t know about the rest of the album. I kept hearing for years that people considered it a perfect pop record

listen to it right now - literally right now :true:

i wouldn't necessarily call it a perfect pop record (especially considering that she lowkey topped emotion with side b, dedicated AND dedicated side b) but it's definitely very solid and you should absolutely listen to it

it's a great solid pop record and it's just a vibe honestly

Ethel Cain is a great vocalist but right now i think her music is very boring lol. i'm going to try to sit down and give her an honest try but i think the songwriting could use some work. she just reminds me of a Phoebe Bridgers that can sing.

just realized this was genuinely unpopular during a convo with @weinendersoldat

i really enjoy remixes :bebe:
sometimes more than the original song
though i generally prefer remixes of songs that were already in the pop / new wave / electro territory rather than remixes of more indie or orchestral stuff

On 12/7/2022 at 10:09 AM, letterblue said:

Ethel Cain is a great vocalist but right now i think her music is very boring lol. i'm going to try to sit down and give her an honest try but i think the songwriting could use some work. she just reminds me of a Phoebe Bridgers that can sing.

well this hurt to read! although i get where you're coming from

honestly when i first started listening to her i thought the same thing but she's not really the artist to put on in the background while doing something and while it sounds counter intuitive her music is really better when you're fully immersed in it

she's also definitely more a lyrics artist rather than a melody artist and really paying attention to the lyrics definitely makes it stand out more

(also try speeding it up especially her latest album it makes the experience very different)

14 hours ago, the ocean said:

just realized this was genuinely unpopular during a convo with @weinendersoldat

i really enjoy remixes :bebe:
sometimes more than the original song
though i generally prefer remixes of songs that were already in the pop / new wave / electro territory rather than remixes of more indie or orchestral stuff

Sometimes I enjoy hearing a new take too. If there's something irritating about the original version, sometimes the remix fixes it :D

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

On 12/7/2022 at 4:09 PM, letterblue said:

I don’t think she’s a good vocalist but she’s built her own world and people really relate to and love her storytelling-I’d listen to her more but I just can’t understand what’s she’s singing half the time.

57 minutes ago, Venice Peach said:

It's so embarrassing when artists organize them :thumb2:

I don't want to say it too loudly :shh2: because last year there was an official streaming party for BB and I attended just to see how it worked.

58 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

I don’t think she’s a good vocalist but she’s built her own world and people really relate to and love her storytelling-I’d listen to her more but I just can’t understand what’s she’s singing half the time.

No, she's an outstanding vocalist. :true:

4 hours ago, bluechemtrails said:

I don't want to say it too loudly :shh2: because last year there was an official streaming party for BB and I attended just to see how it worked.

No, she's an outstanding vocalist. :true:

Links?

im just going off the songs I’ve heard- you can tell she listened to early Lana and a lot of other Smokey women like Fiona apple but they have a bigger range and better enunciation-

by all means she is talented though.

Ethel is an amazing vocalist, I saw her live in the summer and my mind was genuinely blown by her voice. She puts on such a great show.

She's also an incredible writer. I would recommend turning out the lights and really just committing the hour and a bit to listening to all of Preacher's Daughter in order and going on the full journey with her, it's a beautiful and thrilling ride.

This performance is gorgeous:

13 minutes ago, Inferno Euphoria said:

From the albums I have listened to (I know I really need to listen to her discography someday):

Aphrodite ­­­­­> Fever > Body Language > Light Years > Disco > X

i’d switch BL & aphrodite, and LY & disco but i otherwise agree :true:

BL is so underrated tbh

say it louder to all those stupid stage twerkers in the back!!! periodt! It has always been in a way repulsive to me that all those top stars (and not only them) tend to OVERsexualize everything around their art concept, like, girl get on the stage and sing me your heart, i don't need to see your glutes nor titties.

Can artists simply make music without manipulating our subconscious or activating our primal urges, especially without excessive sexualization?