Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

14 minutes ago, DCooper said:

I personally feel from the three songs I've heard that this is her darkest work yet. It's about finally unpacking the things she wasn't ready to face and really putting herself through the emotional wringer. There's a weight to it that I don't think she's explored before. That being said, I think she will balance a lot of emotions throughout the record and the ultimate takeaway will be one of hope, strength, love for yourself and others.

Right, full agree.

Maybe this process started with 'Yosemite,' the poetry album, and 'Hope,' and then 'Textbook' and 'WFWF.' She's exhaling her childhood and youthful experiences, and then moving towards her 20s and 30s. It's like a psychoanalytical process where the doctor often sits well off to the side in near-silence and the 'patient,' lying or sitting, free associates, rambles, and feels safe and comfortable enough, eventually, after many sessions, to really confront themselves, their actions, and the things that happened to them, as well as the actions they've taken, which they may regret (or see as freeing). Everything they've repressed to be able to get on with day-to-day life. 

I think some people want Lana to be happy, and I think we all do here. But she's a human being like all of us, and one who was abused in various ways. She seemed happy on the COCC title track, and on other recent songs like 'VFR.' But the five songs I've heard do not seem like they're coming from a 'happy' or serene place, though there's beauty in them, of course, as there is in almost all LDR's music. 

3 minutes ago, Fingertips said:

I've always made it clear to everyone on the forum that while I do love Ultraviolence, it still ranks low on my album rankings. I am just not in that type of headspace that can emotionally connect with the wild passion and fury of that album. I completely respect it and all of the people who adore it, but lyrically, it's just not my cup of tea outside of a handful of tracks (1-5, Black Beauty, and Old Money). While I was talking about the songs that I've heard from Ocean Blvd in general, I do connect with the title track. So much of it, for me, is connecting with this experience of not wanting to be forgotten by those you love after you die. I think Ocean Blvd poignantly gets at something at the core of existence, consciousness, and the human spirit that really moves me deeply. These are the reasons why I am so blown away by the new music, but I can understand why it might not hit the spot for other people. As I get older, I've started thinking more about my family, my past, trauma, spirituality, and developed more anxieties about death in general. The music on Ocean Blvd that I've heard so far encapsulates all of those anxieties and concerns, which exemplifies why I adore the music so much.

I'm glad you agree that people are entitled to feel no connection, or very little connection, to any given Lana album. 

Just now, ChaoticLipster said:
  Hide contents

I actually like sweet it’s a beautiful song. Just not the main cause of the album 

Spoiler

It's probably the leaked song I have listened to the most so far. :oopna:

Just now, West Coast said:

Hide contents

It's probably the leaked song I have listened to the most so far. :oopna:

Spoiler

Same …Fingertips is too wordy for me to digest at the moment. 😬

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

Just now, ChaoticLipster said:
  Hide contents

Same …Fingertips is too wordy for me to digest at the moment. 😬

Spoiler

I love the honesty in the track, and the reaction some people have had so far is great. I think it's a very earnest song, but it is very dense and hard to go through. It will grow. 

4 minutes ago, Fingertips said:

I've always made it clear to everyone on the forum that while I do love Ultraviolence, it still ranks low on my album rankings. I am just not in that type of headspace that can emotionally connect with the wild passion and fury of that album. I completely respect it and all of the people who adore it, but lyrically, it's just not my cup of tea outside of a handful of tracks (1-5, Black Beauty, and Old Money). While I was talking about the songs that I've heard from Ocean Blvd in general, I do connect with the title track. So much of it, for me, is connecting with this experience of not wanting to be forgotten by those you love after you die. I think Ocean Blvd poignantly gets at something at the core of existence, consciousness, and the human spirit that really moves me deeply. These are the reasons why I am so blown away by the new music, but I can understand why it might not hit the spot for other people. As I get older, I've started thinking more about my family, my past, trauma, spirituality, and developed more anxieties about death in general. The music on Ocean Blvd that I've heard so far encapsulates all of those anxieties and concerns, which exemplifies why I adore the music so much.

That's all beautifully expressed. I wish I heard and 'saw' that in the title track, which remains flat for me, like a dead fish, but I do like, at least, 'The Grants' and 'Sweet,' though, as I said yesterday, 'Fingertips' is still not jelling with me. I look forward to the balance of the album. 

I also cannot relate to a lot of UV, and 'BB' and 'Old Money' are also my favorites from the album. Speaking of maturity, as we have been today, I think both of those songs really reflect maturity, but was it only artist reflecting maturity, and not the individual?  As if they can be separated! Was 'Old Money' a glimpse of a maturity still to come? 'Old Money' is my all-time favorite of her songs.

Regarding the 'Sad Girl' lyrics, it's interesting that everywhere the lyrics appears on the internet, it's as 'I'm a Sad Girl, I'm Sad Girl, I'm a Sad Girl,' when that is clearly not what she actually says. You quoted the lyrics correctly. 

8 minutes ago, Veinsineon said:

And Norman explores this darkness by not exploring this darkness at all! :true:

Not sure what exploring darkness is, really, if it means scratching wounds, but to me, Norman is not trying to force happiness or trying to be in this mythical state of mind she wanted to be in while creating LFL, but rather acknowledging that it is what it is and embracing her flaws or choices, sorta letting go wanting to be uber-happy. 
Ocean Blvd might be more into that «scratching my wounds» type of head-space?! Either way, both attitudes have their place in finding happiness IMO. 

5 minutes ago, West Coast said:

I'm glad you agree that people are entitled to feel no connection, or very little connection, to any given Lana album. 

You and I both have very strong opinions, so we come across as intimidating, but I know we both deep down have a respect towards other people's opinions. Appreciate it

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

2 minutes ago, Fingertips said:

You and I both have very strong opinions, so we come across as intimidating, but I know we both deep down have a respect towards other people's opinions. Appreciate it

Yeah so maybe next time I share one of my so-called unpopular opinions the reaction won't be as feral. :smile4:

10 minutes ago, MrFameKills said:

Let's go there :oprah3:

At the end of Lust for Life, Lana makes a commitment to be happier, so a lot of the vibe of Norman has this easy-breezy feeling, but there's often anxiety simmering beneath the surface in a lot of the songs. Finally on the greatest, she's totally burnt out as the world collapses all around her, and she's forced to re-evaluate everything once again, ending with Hope, her most introspective song at the time and the beginning of this really heavy soul-searching that she's doing now.

3 minutes ago, DCooper said:

At the end of Lust for Life, Lana makes a commitment to be happier, so a lot of the vibe of Norman has this easy-breezy feeling, but there's often anxiety simmering beneath the surface in a lot of the songs. Finally on the greatest, she's totally burnt out as the world collapses all around her, and she's forced to re-evaluate everything once again, ending with Hope, her most introspective song at the time and the beginning of this really heavy soul-searching that she's doing now.

The good Norman is in the black lodge, write it in your diary

But agreed :true:

3 minutes ago, dyktatuob said:
  Reveal hidden contents

ive heard a few seconds of a song on that website and it sounds amazing:excited: i wonder if it's sweet since that's the only song i haven't checked 

Spoiler

the first line is "stars in my eyes" if im not mistaken 

7 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

Not sure what exploring darkness is, really, if it means scratching wounds, but to me, Norman is not trying to force happiness or trying to be in this mythical state of mind she wanted to be in while creating LFL, but rather acknowledging that it is what it is and embracing her flaws or choices, sorta letting go wanting to be uber-happy. 
Ocean Blvd might be more into that «scratching my wounds» type of head-space?! Either way, both attitudes have their place in finding happiness IMO. 

if you want to know what exploring darkness is, listen to the 4 Velvet Underground albums, especially the first 3, listen to Nico's solo albums from the 70s and 80s, listen to Leonard Cohen's 'Songs of Love & Hate,' or anything by Marianne Faithfull after 1978. I think darkness is the province of the artist, who doesn't find in mainstream society what it purports to offer and consist of.  

Lana, as Lana Del Rey, explored the darkness right from the beginning with the BTD title track and 'Blue Jeans.' And then onto 'Cola,' 'Gods & Monsters,' and a lot of UV. Then 'The Blackest Day,' 'Swan Song,' 'Salvatore,' and 'Heroin' and 'The Greatest.' And in so many of her unreleased tracks. And now with 'A&W' and some of the other tracks we've heard. It's not always a 'Cherry Blossom' world, where one can hide away, as in Kate Bush's masterful 'Under the Ivy,' which I think 'Cherry Blossom' bookends. 

5 minutes ago, DCooper said:

Yeah, literally collapses around her, which seems to go over the heads of the casual listener. 

9 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

Right, full agree.

Maybe this process started with 'Yosemite,' the poetry album, and 'Hope,' and then 'Textbook' and 'WFWF.' She's exhaling her childhood and youthful experiences, and then moving towards her 20s and 30s. It's like a psychoanalytical process where the doctor often sits well off to the side in near-silence and the 'patient,' lying or sitting, free associates, rambles, and feels safe and comfortable enough, eventually, after many sessions, to really confront themselves, their actions, and the things that happened to them, as well as the actions they've taken, which they may regret (or see as freeing). Everything they've repressed to be able to get on with day-to-day life. 

I think some people want Lana to be happy, and I think we all do here. But she's a human being like all of us, and one who was abused in various ways. She seemed happy on the COCC title track, and on other recent songs like 'VFR.' But the five songs I've heard do not seem like they're coming from a 'happy' or serene place, though there's beauty in them, of course, as there is in almost all LDR's music. 

Another discussion maybe, but we collectively will have to revisit COCC and BB in a couple of years, to see how they all fit into a grander scheme. COCC is a bit the «Shangri-La and mystical headspace» she wanted to be, while creating LFL and for a time, during the pandemic, she might have been there in many aspects of her life. But with BB, we begin to see that she wasn't there yet and wanted to process some trauma from her past... But Ocean BLvd seems to be telling that things happened since these two albums that left her feeling a bit lost... and maybe carefree also? I dont if this makes sense. 

20 minutes ago, honeymoon is alive said:

why isn't anyone talking about this? :bebe: and why is her name so low? :oprah3:

like ? i have only seen one single person talk about it and i haven’t even seen a thread :rip:

i wondered the same until i noticed the lineup is in alphabetical order