Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

7 minutes ago, DCooper said:

Justice for Laura

Β 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ph2vsfinizxxwmi84q

Β 

Justice for this Laura Palmer and Laura Palmer alone.Β :horror:

Β 
:sass::ma::trisha:

1,865,749 unfiltered streams on Day 3. Already 300,000 streams ahead of Ocean Blvd. This *is* performing well! Can’t wait for miss Sweet to snatch our wigs with 100M streams on Day 1 when the album is released.Β 

Spoiler

:silly:

Β 

Β 

I love Lana’s change in vocal tone as she repeats, β€œI’m just like this.” It’s a simpleΒ detail, but I think that shift to an almost annoyed/spiteful inflection at the end really helped deliver the repetition in a meaningful way.Β 
Β 

There’s so much subtle anger, sarcasm, humor, celebration, etc. in A&W that gets highlighted just by a slight turn of her voice without the need for vocal acrobatics, so to speak. Love that for us:oprah:

β€œβ€¦and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia PlathΒ 

1 hour ago, Xenoblade 2 said:

Venice Tank was a bomb. Lana even performed the song live at an Apple event with MILLIONS of people tuning in. Seriously, I don’t think it even debut on the Spotify charts lol.Β Critics loved it but the GP said NO. Mariners, Hope all bombed.Β That’sΒ what led to Doin Time and the massive gap of her scrambling what to do. Thankfully, Doin Time was a hit.

Cinnamon Girl and Happiness Is A Butterfly would have been big hits had they been the first tastes of the album with a video. As you can see their streams now. She/her teamΒ are terrible at choosing singles.

LMLYLAW shouldn’t have never been a single. It should’ve stayed as an unknown album track. Tulsa was right there. LMLYLAWΒ soured the GP so much even the excellence of Chemtrails (song) can’t be pushed through the flop of the first song.

Β 

And the way they ignored Dealer smashery has beenΒ shocking.Β 
Β 

Imo, it was a huge mistake releasing the title track as a single.Β 

Imagine if we heard A&W first from this album, ohΒ the massive collapse. A&W is definitely one her most instant singles.

Β 

If we choose to ignore the toxic negativity of this post, there were some good points made here. She and her team are pretty bad at choosing singles.

Having said that, you need to take into consideration:

a) Her vision:

Is Lana and her team chasing after hits? I would say it all depends on the era. (During the "Lust for Life" era, it was kind of evident they cared, during the "Blue Banisters" era, they probably gave up). But maybe the songs chosen as first singles are meant to represent the album and not to debut on the charts.

Β 

Let's use "Dealer" as an example. That's a jam, but what else sounds like that song on the album? "Arcadia" or "Let Me Love You Like A Woman" are 'same old Lana by the numbers,' but they do a great job of encapsulating the vibe and mood of the albums they belong to.

b) The current state of music/streaming and what's popular:

Music is not instant anymore. What you release at some point might not be successful at the release date. Take into consideration songs like The Weeknd's "Die for You" or Sia's "Unstoppable".

Songs like "Happiness Is A Butterfly," "Diet Mountain Dew," "Brooklyn Baby," "The Other Woman" (or even "Art Deco") weren't mainstream/popular (for Lana standards) back in the days when their respective albums were released. It took them years to become popular among the general public. If they had been released as singles, there would be a chance they would have done nothing.

Β 

7 minutes ago, Xenoblade 2 said:

See when you make a good song.

Β 

Β 

"EulogyΒ for the American Dream." Tired of this clichΓ© written about Lana's music post Norman. Β :eartha2:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I askedΒ Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating.Β 

Β 

9 minutes ago, Fingertips said:

"EulogyΒ for the American Dream." Tired of this clichΓ© written about Lana's music post Norman. Β :eartha2:

I feel like it’s been written like 10000 times since NFR and it’s truly like the most surface level cookie cutter interpretation someone can make of her music :rip:Β 

Β 

but acclaim is acclaim!Β :true:

1 minute ago, littleredpartydress said:

I feel like it’s been written like 10000 times since NFR and it’s truly like the most surface level cookie cutter interpretation someone can make of her music :rip:Β 

Β 

but acclaim is acclaim!Β :true:

IT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE IN CONTEXT OF A&W i am so annoyed by this stupid blurbΒ :oprah2:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I askedΒ Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating.Β 

Β 

18 minutes ago, americangothic said:

If we choose to ignore the toxic negativity of this post, there were some good points made here. She and her team are pretty bad at choosing singles.

Having said that, you need to take into consideration:

a) Her vision:

Is Lana and her team chasing after hits? I would say it all depends on the era. (During the "Lust for Life" era, it was kind of evident they cared, during the "Blue Banisters" era, they probably gave up). But maybe the songs chosen as first singles are meant to represent the album and not to debut on the charts.

Β 

Let's use "Dealer" as an example. That's a jam, but what else sounds like that song on the album? "Arcadia" or "Let Me Love You Like A Woman" are 'same old Lana by the numbers,' but they do a great job of encapsulating the vibe and mood of the albums they belong to.

b) The current state of music/streaming and what's popular:

Music is not instant anymore. What you release at some point might not be successful at the release date. Take into consideration songs like The Weeknd's "Die for You" or Sia's "Unstoppable".

Songs like "Happiness Is A Butterfly," "Diet Mountain Dew," "Brooklyn Baby," "The Other Woman" (or even "Art Deco") weren't mainstream/popular (for Lana standards) back in the days when their respective albums were released. It took them years to become popular among the general public. If they had been released as singles, there would be a chance they would have done nothing.

Β 

Why lie? Those songs (except The Other Woman) were very popular and had very good streams and they continue to be popular now.

Β 

Cinnamon Boy was a fan favorite even before it came out just byΒ the snippets she teased alone. It came out..got amazing streams. Completely ignored again.Β 

Β 

It did not take them years to be popular bfr. Also aΒ single doesn’t necessarily need to represent the album. There’s no rule for that. TheΒ job of a single is to get people to listen orΒ buy the album. A successful single has more chance of attracting more listeners to the album. The hardcore fans will listen to album no matter what.

1 minute ago, Fingertips said:

IT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE IN CONTEXT OF A&W i am so annoyed by this stupid blurbΒ :oprah2:

Like all she says is the word American :rip:Β 

Β 

tbh this description is the critics version of 2012’d stansΒ who act like all of her music was about cocaine, death and daddies.
Β 

it’s way more prevalent in their head than it actually is in reality :rip:Β