Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

8 hours ago, taco truck said:

No  A&W literally has the scariest jumpscare ever:trisha:I have to turn down my headphones at that part cause it gets so loud

Much of this album reminds me of Psycho (1960). It has also a shower scene and breaks some taboos.

if i were to compare this album to a previous work so far i'd say it's actually very reminiscent of lust for life (many features, interpolations, sonical variety, long titles):popcorn:

─── ・ 。: *.☽ .* :。 ───

9.gif

You're the king mafia baby
I am the Queen of Alchemy

It’s nothing like Lust For Panned. The features are all snow on the beach level or less. Lana getting credited despite barely being on a song did something to her after working with Taylor. She did not get a feature credit on Party Monster and not a lead on Stargirl despite singing most of it. Now she’s crediting every possible human beings on the album like… Mind you, Dealer and Brooklyn Baby have prominent features.

Riopy, AK, SYML are really just writing credits normally. We don’t know if Jon Batiste is even singing on the songs and Father Jon Misty we know will be background vocals. Literally, this is a solo album nothing like Lust For Life.

17 minutes ago, lizzyschemtrails said:

It's impossible for me not to listen to A&W on full blast (except the jumpscare, I definitely have to turn it down just for that part) but I wish I could somehow play it even louder:trisha:

I love the jump scare, it is so good and adds to the 90s acoustic guitar rock flair 

14 hours ago, kuntsugi said:

a&w is a religious experience fr i cannot describe it for the life of me :pray2: totally worth the wait and even more!! the subtle norman title track "sampling" too like?? life changing not even joking

wait wait wait what sample where???

24 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

So what are we making of the line about looking at her hair and the shape of her body? 

"I mean, look at my hair- look at the length of it there & the shape of my body"

esp when followed by "If I told you that I was raped, do you really think that anybody would think I didn't ask for it, didn't ask for it?"

feels a bit like a sister lyric to "I can't help but feel somewhat like my body marred my soul, handmade beauty sealed up by two man-made walls"

imo both touch on the same very real notion that society struggles to look beyond the surface level when it comes to a woman, women are reduced & diminished down to their anatomy as well as age n clothing choices & their basic humanity gets destroyed this process.

TW for the spoiler, but it made me think of this Andrea Dworkin quote for anyone who is interested

Spoiler

“The accounts of rape, wife beating, forced childbearing, medical butchering, sex-motivated murder, forced prostitution, physical mutilation, sadistic psychological abuse, and other commonplaces of female experience that are excavated from the past or given by contemporary survivors should leave the heart seared, the mind in anguish, the conscience in upheaval. But they do not. No matter how often these stories are told, with whatever clarity or eloquence, bitterness or sorrow, they might as well have been whispered in wind or written in sand: they disappear, as if they were nothing. The tellers and the stories are ignored or ridiculed, threatened back into silence or destroyed, and the experience of female suffering is buried in cultural invisibility and contempt… the very reality of abuse sustained by women, despite its overwhelming pervasiveness and constancy, is negated. It is negated in the transactions of everyday life, and it is negated in the history books, left out, and it is negated by those who claim to care about suffering but are blind to this suffering.

The problem, simply stated, is that one must believe in the existence of the person in order to recognize the authenticity of her suffering. Neither men nor women believe in the existence of women as significant beings. It is impossible to remember as real the suffering of someone who by definition has no legitimate claim to dignity or freedom, someone who is in fact viewed as some thing, an object or an absence. And if a woman, an individual woman multiplied by billions, does not believe in her own discrete existence and therefore cannot credit the authenticity of her own suffering, she is erased, canceled out, and the meaning of her life, whatever it is, whatever it might have been, is lost. This loss cannot be calculated or comprehended. It is vast and awful, and nothing will ever make up for it.”

41 minutes ago, burthday kake said:

"I mean, look at my hair- look at the length of it there & the shape of my body"

esp when followed by "If I told you that I was raped, do you really think that anybody would think I didn't ask for it, didn't ask for it?"

feels a bit like a sister lyric to "I can't help but feel somewhat like my body marred my soul, handmade beauty sealed up by two man-made walls"

imo both touch on the same very real notion that society struggles to look beyond the surface level when it comes to a woman, women are reduced & diminished down to their anatomy as well as age n clothing choices & their basic humanity gets destroyed this process.

TW for the spoiler, but it made me think of this Andrea Dworkin quote for anyone who is interested

Reveal hidden contents

“The accounts of rape, wife beating, forced childbearing, medical butchering, sex-motivated murder, forced prostitution, physical mutilation, sadistic psychological abuse, and other commonplaces of female experience that are excavated from the past or given by contemporary survivors should leave the heart seared, the mind in anguish, the conscience in upheaval. But they do not. No matter how often these stories are told, with whatever clarity or eloquence, bitterness or sorrow, they might as well have been whispered in wind or written in sand: they disappear, as if they were nothing. The tellers and the stories are ignored or ridiculed, threatened back into silence or destroyed, and the experience of female suffering is buried in cultural invisibility and contempt… the very reality of abuse sustained by women, despite its overwhelming pervasiveness and constancy, is negated. It is negated in the transactions of everyday life, and it is negated in the history books, left out, and it is negated by those who claim to care about suffering but are blind to this suffering.

The problem, simply stated, is that one must believe in the existence of the person in order to recognize the authenticity of her suffering. Neither men nor women believe in the existence of women as significant beings. It is impossible to remember as real the suffering of someone who by definition has no legitimate claim to dignity or freedom, someone who is in fact viewed as some thing, an object or an absence. And if a woman, an individual woman multiplied by billions, does not believe in her own discrete existence and therefore cannot credit the authenticity of her own suffering, she is erased, canceled out, and the meaning of her life, whatever it is, whatever it might have been, is lost. This loss cannot be calculated or comprehended. It is vast and awful, and nothing will ever make up for it.”

Why do you think she's saying this now? Or is it not a reference to the Lana of 2023? Might the Lana of 2014 felt the same way? Or earlier, even before her major career?