Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

For the longest time I was ranking HM my least favourite album!! And I wasn’t even sure why, because I enjoyed every single track.. 

in the past year or so I decided to open myself back up to it and was blown away.. I think at its time of release I just hadn’t matured enough to the sound and wrote it off for the longest time.. and around that time of my life I stopped listening to music because I was too busy partying and so I missed the whole LFL era!! It was NFR that pulled me back to my Lana obsession and so it’s my all time favourite.

my current ranking is;

NFR

HM

UV

LFL

COCC

PARADISE

BB

BTD

I think ocean blvd will knock UV from top 3 but not sure where it will sit 

also gets very difficult at the bottom end of ranking because paradise holds a lot of my all time favourites but I never sit and listen to it as a whole 

blue banisters is much of the same..

btd is just a bit too poppy for me these days haha, but I welcome the songs randomly playing in my mixed playlists 

S0F1O.gif
dancing all night to the dirty blues 

28 minutes ago, Thats why they call me Dita said:

I don’t think many albums have any skips for me.. even the interludes, I think they have their place when listening to the album as a whole! 

from top of my head only skips I know definitively are Lolita and cola (sorry!) though guns and roses and lust for life are up for debate too.. oh and VFR, I hate that one :shh2:

I never listen to violet.. only because I’m an Apple Music user and it’s not on there.. I would listen to that a lot otherwise.. 

I’m on Apple Music too and downloaded a zip with the mp3 to Violet, after having bought it through their audiobooks. That way, I could make a playlist of her poems intertwined with her songs.

Ocean Blvd will surely complement  that playlist I’m  sure. 

2 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

I’m on Apple Music too and downloaded a zip with the mp3 to Violet, after having bought it through their audiobooks. That way, I could make a playlist of her poems intertwined with her songs.

Ocean Blvd will surely complement  that playlist I’m  sure. 

Can you do that all on your phone or do you need to hook up to laptop? I’m incredibly useless with technology :icant:

S0F1O.gif
dancing all night to the dirty blues 

I’m sure the positivity warriors will complain that I haven’t deified everyone part of her discog but here’s mine(lol)- 

Not including Sirens because it was never officially released. 

1.UV(perfect layered album with storytelling songwriting-a modern classic with no skips even on the deluxe and most outtakes- lots of repeated choruses but they only strengthen the impact of the amazing melodies to me).

2. Honeymoon(Love the return to Trip Hop and Baroque pop-lots of reverb on this record that creates a dream-like effect- some iffy songwriting occasionally but it’s a gorgeous masterpiece again and makes me amazed with every listen).

3. Aka ( love the guitars on this record and how kitschy it is-again like most of the albums I like off her-there’s no skips-not her most serious work but it’s great fun).

4. Born to die the paradise edition( I can’t include these albums seperately- it forms a modern bible throughout- some songs are overproduced on BTD or very dull on paradise-but American and Bel Air are the only skips for me- Great starting albums).

5. Blue Banisters( lots of ballads here but it’s her first fully formed album since Honeymoon-there’s some issues with the production where it clips and you can tell the record was rushed but it flows quite well- Wildflower should have been scrapped as it’s objectively a clipped mess).

6.Lust for Life-it’s difficult for me to rank this because it has some discog highlights like change, love, cherry etc but it has some atrocious work likewise like in my feelings, the boring thirteen bitches-it doesn’t flow as an album at all hence it’s placement. 

I imagine ocean will be between these two albums despite me really disliking the first two singles-The grants description and Peppers sound promising.

7. Chemtrails- cohesive but boring-I’m not opposed to folk music but it’s so stripped down as to remain pointless to have any production-some discog highlights in title track and Tulsa. 

8. NFR- I will never understand the love for this record and it started her wave of ego where everything she makes she believes is gold-any form of critique is immediately a personal attack on her as a person as displayed on her Ann Powers rant. 
I like Hope, How to disappear, the vinyl version of I love you- California and the greatest are fine but could have been masterpieces with extra attention.

Tbh just because NFR got grammy nomination doesn't mean it is her best album. Personally I still cannot understand all the hype around it. I'm not gonna tell people to clear their ears because everyone can have an opinion and music preferences are always subjective. 

From what I heard I can tell that Ocean Blvd is probably going to be on the UV lvl for me :trisha: The variety, the production, her vocals, the lyrics... And what excites me a lot is her confidence now. Like last 3 albums (for me) were 2 septs back and now she's going forward.

I'm also super glad that OB do NOT sound like LFL, this album was a mess despite the fact the era was fun

9 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

I don’t know how you can rank violet because it’s not an album-it’s spoken word poetry with light background music 

It's a spoken-word album, therefore, an album.