Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

CANDY NECKLACE TRUTHERS WE WON :hair:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

1 minute ago, love deluxe said:

i don’t care how many times it’s been said, i have a feeling ill love this record more than any record i’ve ever heard. i don’t think i’ve connected to lyrics like this since NFR. this woman and i live parallel lives, i swear.

That’s something so interesting to me about Lana, so many of us relate to her so deeply and our lives kind of line up with the music she puts out. It’s really fascinating 

Just put The Grants on in the car with my mom (who hates Lana) she looked so happy when Lana said “do you think about heaven” and immediately said “I really like this”, especially the outro. “I’m downloading this song.” :party:

25 minutes ago, anwdelrey said:

Also, unpopular opinion idk, I feel like the one-take vocals a la hope is a dangerous thing/White Dress suited those songs but the novelty of it wears off when she does it again and again and again.

Examples: Blue Banisters, now The Grants.

It just doesn’t pack the same punch. It doesn’t serve the lyrics. It actually does a disservice to Lana’s lyricism, because it makes the listening experience unpleasant. I’m always willing to be challenged as a listener, but there’s nothing new or innovative about unpolished, poorly mixed vocals.

Tunnel and A&W you could tell she was meticulous with her vocal takes and actually wanted the song to sound good, not raw. With The Grants she goes for that raw unpolished sound, but it just doesn’t work for me. Ok bye 👋 still super excited for this album. Just sharing thoughts y’all.

And the vocals are mixed too far into the back. I like the song a lot, but it’s sleepy, and there’s just not enough aural contrast. As pop music, the dynamic is pretty low. 

8 minutes ago, love deluxe said:

i don’t care how many times it’s been said, i have a feeling ill love this record more than any record i’ve ever heard. i don’t think i’ve connected to lyrics like this since NFR. this woman and i live parallel lives, i swear.

Spoiler

No I so agree. I love how personal the album is and it has so many different elements of life, whether its family, love, heartbreak, hitting rock bottom, being at your peak, mental illness, or trauma of some sort. It really is beautiful and I cannot wait for it!

After seeing somewhat lukewarm reception of The Grants on here and by other fans, I wonder if my American Catholic/religious upbringing influences my enjoyment of the track (I say this as a pretty not-Catholic anymore/folk Catholic). I really enjoy it, it reminds me of my childhood, my parents, my family, etc. I've mentioned it before but it reminds me of songs like You Raise Me Up by Josh Groban and other somewhat cheesy but the nostalgic adult contemporary-ish and religious tinged music that my family would listen to and enjoy. Just uplifting, sentimental music you'd probably hear on the radio during an evening drive in the mid 2000s as a child. I don't have any strong particular trauma with the church either, so I might have some bias there. I usually don't connect too much with her songs about family et al but for some reason I really do with this one. There's something I find really special about this song, and I wonder if the backgrounds that people come from might influence their opinion on it.

sgopYhV.gif