Sitar

Random Lana Discussion Thread

The Beatles are a MAYBE for me. I hear their influence on Tomorrow Never Came, and that is not one of my favorite Lana songs (I mostly hate the Sean Lennon feature). The lyrics of this song are heavy but sonically this style is a little light and breezy for me. It's not heavy enough to pack a punch, and it's not soft enough to be ethereal. The melody is there but something about the production and style of this song is off. It's chill but Lana's voice almost gets lost in it. I also hear The Beatles in Beautiful People demo version. Here she nails the style and hits a home run. If Lana can write another Beatles-esque song and really carry the song, I would be very happy to hear it on an album. However, I do not want to hear another Tomorrow Never Came.

The Beach Boys are a NO for me. Another example of a spectacularly talented band that I think doesn't suit Lana's style. Even though they are beachy and Lana is beachy, and Lana mentions them on the Greatest, I don't really hear a lot of Beach Boys influence in Lana's music. Like the Beatles, this music is too light and breezy for Lana. She needs a style with more emotional weight.

Here is a playlist of 60's songs that are sort of a mood board for voices and energies that I would like to hear Lana channel:

• Tommy James & The Shondells - Crimson & Clover (Venice Bitch spiritual successor!)
  • Dick Dale - Miserlou (Hawaiian glam metal teas?)
  • The Band - The Weight (Lana get back together with Dan Auerbach and make a bluesy folk rock album that isn't about abusive relationships challenge!)
  • Otis Redding - (Sittin' on) the Dock of the Bay (beautiful California singer/songwriter blues vibes. UV meets NFR)
  • Nico - These Days (this song is SO Lana. NFR meets LFL. I would love for Lana to get in the studio with both Jack and Emile for an extended time, and give us something that sounds like this)
  • Nancy Sinatra - Bang Bang (can Lana cover this so that I can add the MP3 into Ultraviolence?)
  • Simon & Garfunkle - The Sound of Silence
  • Nick Drake - River Man (May Jailor teas with better guitar playing)
  • Ben E. King - Stand By Me (Heartwarming and overflowing with positive energy like Lana's Love. Lana's disco album needs a song like this)
  • Lorraine Ellison - Stay With Me (Channeling this energy for a BIG jazz/soul song on Lana's disco album)
  • Frank Sinatra - It Was a Very Good Year (Honeymoon vibes)
Maybe not the Beatles but I would love a George Harrison or Lennon inspired album. Also love the Simon and Garfunkel inclusion, imagine a song that’s sonically like the Only Living Boy in New York? Would love some Bread influence also omg. I think Beach Boys influence would be lovey if she made a song that was sonically like the Warmth of the Sun or Surfer Girl. I think I’ve really wanted more 60s/70s influence in her music after hearing Get Free, MAC, VB, and the Greatest. It’s something that really suits her sound and voice tbh

I don't listen to deluxe songs, let alone unreleased tracks. I'm lazy. And not just when it comes to Lana, I'm like that with most artists. Is This Happiness is an exception. I remember that song and I like it more than most tracks on Ultraviolence!

Is This Happiness is amazing but you’re also missing out in Flipside! One of my favorite songs off of UV

sgopYhV.gif

That’s way too early. I’d say March of this year.

I don’t know...she shot Lust for Life almost 13 months before it came out, and she allegedly told a fan in November that she had changed the title by then so it doesn’t seem far fetched. She has filmed videos and shot covers months before even announcing a record in the past

I don’t know...she shot Lust for Life almost 13 months before it came out, and she allegedly told a fan in November that she had changed the title by then so it doesn’t seem far fetched. She has filmed videos and shot covers months before even announcing a record in the past

Well she was most likely done with the album at that point and then everything just went bad with the love and BAR leak.

Well she was most likely done with the album at that point and then everything just went bad with the love and BAR leak.

I don’t know, by June 2016 she had only done Heroin, BAR, Yosemite, Love, 13 Beaches, Get Free, and Groupie Love if we’re only counting songs that made it to the album at one point. That’s not enough I’d say for an album. Again, Born to Die was finished in October 2011 but she shot it in July. Paradise was done in August 2012 but she shot it in March. I think it just depends on whatever she feels lol.

she started working on LFL in 2015 (LFL demo, heroin, get free) then cherry, white mustang and change were recorded like shortly before the album had to be submitted 

i love you, but you don't understand me.

Still hoping that she's gonna do something with the shoot she did with Chuck a few years ago

bJI7zQB.png

I always wondered what this shoot was for and why she never ended up using it for any LFL era stuff! Maybe it was another concept for the album cover that never got used?

I always wondered what this shoot was for and why she never ended up using it for any LFL era stuff! Maybe it was another concept for the album cover that never got used?

I feel like it could be the BAR cover

...just you and me feeling the heat even when the sun goes down...

does anyone have anymore back ground on Jack? His wikipedia entry doesnt really discuss how he got his start in music--is he classically trained/self taught? He certainly has an amazing ear for layering, riffs, and really unique chord progressions; which makes me think he might not be classically trained (I was trained in piano and musical theory, and it's quite shocking how much they preach "in the box" thinking) 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

does anyone have anymore back ground on Jack? His wikipedia entry doesnt really discuss how he got his start in music--is he classically trained/self taught? He certainly has an amazing ear for layering, riffs, and really unique chord progressions; which makes me think he might not be classically trained (I was trained in piano and musical theory, and it's quite shocking how much they preach "in the box" thinking) 

100% sure he learned by himself. Those are always the best musicians.