Sitar

Random Lana Discussion Thread

While I prefer “old Lana” and her veiled metaphor and storyteller approach to the writing of her first 10 years, I also appreciate the honesty in these last few albums. With Dragonslayer leaking it really made it clear that Lana, is aware she isn’t Lana , if that makes sense. She’s spent the last three albums deconstructing the enigma. And I love to see it!

Why are we acting like Lana is 78 years of age.. she can still make fun music like Kylie Minogue, Madonna and Beyonce are all older than Lana and can still make upbeat songs. 

I don’t think it’s unusual for people who fell in love with Lana during earlier eras to want her to recreate the sounds of that era. And I’m kind of sick of y’all refusing to listen to anyone who says they miss UV or HM or even NFR!, they’re just voicing their opinions and hopes and dreams. Let them live!

LORN - ANVIL [Official Music Video] GIF | Gfycat 

5 minutes ago, VioletBunny said:

Why are we acting like Lana is 78 years of age.. she can still make fun music like Kylie Minogue, Madonna and Beyonce are all older than Lana and can still make fun songs. 

i've seen a lot of very misogynistic and ageist stuff thrown at kylie, madonna & beyoncé recently just for the record :xgiggle:

literally name a woman over 40 and try to prove that people** are not writing them off simply because of their age (and because they're a woman; not even gonna go into beyoncé being a black woman over 40 oh my god shock and horror) and btw if lana released ocean blvd at 78 would that change whether it was good or not? :oprah3:

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

14 minutes ago, the ocean said:

redacteds before a woman turns 40 and she's not making the music they want her to make: omg this is so boring we want the old y/n back!!!!111!11!1

redacteds after a woman turns 40 regardless of whether she's making the music they want her to make or not: omg she's a literal grandma creaking bones going to the retirement home she's a flop we never liked her she's irrelevant she makes granny music

edit: oh and not to mention that me putting it at 40 is very generous

no fr!!! why cant we just let the woman grow n write about her life in the way she sees fit. shes a genius and (most) everything she makes is incredible art. just bc shes not talking about the same topics she was in her 20s doesnt make her recent stuff bad. its just a whole bunch of sexism and ageism. 

edit: my initial post was simply pointing out that lana is growing as a person n is not going to talk about the shit she talked about in her 20s. she can obviously still make bops ie. Black Bathing suit 

3 minutes ago, the ocean said:

i've seen a lot of very misogynistic and ageist stuff thrown at kylie, madonna & beyoncé recently just for the record :xgiggle:

literally name a woman over 40 and try to prove that people** are not writing them off simply because of their age - and btw if lana released ocean blvd at 78 would that change whether it was good or not? :oprah3:

I think ur missing my point bestie, someone said she’s a 37 year old woman so she’s not gonna write songs about bad boys 😭

LORN - ANVIL [Official Music Video] GIF | Gfycat 

I guess I don’t have a problem with people preferring old Lana and wanting her to experiment again with some of her past sounds, because I also prefer BTD-HM sonically for sure too, it was an era. I would love for her to do something like that again, but I don’t think it’s fair to expect that from her at this point and to be disappointed when that doesn’t happen. she’s not a pop star to the degree that Kylie Minogue, Madonna, and Beyoncé are, and she never has been. nothing she’s done for the last 4 years has even relatively insinuated that she is going to go back to that sound. i think at this point it’s most respectful to listen to your favorite albums, think “wow it would be really nice for her to do something like this again”, and then acknowledge and appreciate that this woman has never been one thing and is always evolving, and has also found collaborators that make her feel safe, unguarded, and comfortable

I think as Lana stans we are spoiled brats. We get to bicker about what album we like best in her relatively short career. We can chose, debate, fight between 7 released albums plus one more on the way, an EP, two unreleased records and 200+ unreleased songs; meanwhile other stans sometimes wait 5+ years in between album cycles/eras. :bebe:

I also want to add that Ultraviolence is my favorite album, and I would love an Ultraviolence 2.0 with the lyric content of recent albums, but it’s worth noting that her and Dan weren’t necessarily the best mix. And I think the production on UV is something only Dan can really do, which is why there’s nothing else like it in Lana’s discog. Dan mentioned how much of a pain it was dealing with Interscope, and Lana has mentioned how they used to fight in the studio, I can see why both of them wouldn’t want to make another album together again

there’s nothing wrong with preferring lana’s older eras over her newer ones. there’s nothing wrong with wanting her to embody those same eras again. what’s wrong is expecting her to create newer music similar to her older music and not appreciating her newer music. i personally love how personal her newer music is. in blue banisters she mentions chuck, nikki, etc. in ocean blvd she mentions harry nilsson, which is a singer she loves and is inspired by. again, liking her older music over her newer music is normal, but you need to respect her newer music as well. 

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

9 minutes ago, the ocean said:

literally name a woman over 40 and try to prove that people** are not writing them off simply because of their age (and because they're a woman; not even gonna go into beyoncé being a black woman over 40 oh my god shock and horror) and btw if lana released ocean blvd at 78 would that change whether it was good or not? :oprah3:

this is not directed at you specially but i think we should keep in mind how incredibly privileged these people are. No matter what category they fall under, they’ll still have better material conditions, more opportunities and more privilege than 99% of white cisgender men on this planet, because of their wealth. it can hardly be said that Beyoncé, one of the most influential women in the world, is ever really written off. and the same goes for Taylor and, to a lesser extent, Lana: I can’t help thinking it’s a bit tone-deaf to spend 6 years complaining about some Kanye West drama (or, in Lana’s case and to a lesser extent, about being criticized by the media, which is not even the big picture anymore) and making billions out of it when you could use your platform to convey some sort of message. I’m not saying these problems aren’t worth addressing in their music at all, I’m saying it sounds slightly insensitive to me how much they talk about them while never ever addressing other problems or how unbelievably privileged they are. The problems they face are real, be it misogyny, racism, ageism, and they can exemplify things regular people are also confronted with - but we shouldn’t be tricked into forgetting that their economic position really lessens the impact these problems have on their lives, while these people actually fuel the problems regular people face, by flying a privet jet 24/7, or having a brand with clothes made by exploited workers in Asia, for instance.

9 minutes ago, Future Jazz said:

this is not directed at you specially but i think we should keep in mind how incredibly privileged these people are. No matter what category they fall under, they’ll still have better material conditions, more opportunities and more privilege than 99% of white cisgender men on this planet, because of their wealth. it can hardly be said that Beyoncé, one of the most influential women in the world, is ever really written off. and the same goes for Taylor and, to a lesser extent, Lana: I can’t help thinking it’s a bit tone-deaf to spend 6 years complaining about some Kanye West drama (or, in Lana’s case and to a lesser extent, about being criticized by the media, which is not even the big picture anymore) and making billions out of it when you could use your platform to convey some sort of message. I’m not saying these problems aren’t worth addressing in their music at all, I’m saying it sounds slightly insensitive to me how much they talk about them while never ever addressing other problems or how unbelievably privileged they are. The problems they face are real, be it misogyny, racism, ageism, and they can exemplify things regular people are also confronted with - but we shouldn’t be tricked into forgetting that their economic position really lessens the impact these problems have on their lives, while these people actually fuel the problems regular people face, by flying a privet jet 24/7, or having a brand with clothes made by exploited workers in Asia, for instance.

it took me a second to get this ngl :thumb3:

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

More complaining about wanting certain eras back....just go listen to one of hundreds leaked songs from those eras then. We have access to so many material, years worth...appreciate where Lana is now or tune out already. She's not making another BTD or UV. Give it up