Sitar

Random Lana Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, lilac heaven said:

i think a lot of it is that the negative attention she received wasn’t just tabloid stuff; it was unfair and irrelevant and not about the music at all. it was attacking her own sense of self. going back and re-reading things journalists would ask her early in her career today, it’s fucking gross and it was never about the music, and other artists, especially men, weren’t asked the kinds of questions she was. i didn’t think much of it when i was younger but it’s so weird and disgusting looking back on, Lana has every right to be pissed about how they treated her. nobody ever asks for that, no matter what kind of career they want

Reveal hidden contents

Then, really without warning, her mood shifts. It’s a powerful thing, palpable in the room, like a sudden mass of threatening clouds. Her eyes seem to turn a shade darker: Trust no one. I ask, perversely, about “Fucked My Way Up to the Top,” one of Ultraviolence‘s best songs, which attacks an unnamed imitator who didn’t have to go through the gauntlet Del Rey did. It may be about Lorde, who criticized Del Rey’s lyrics but has a not-dissimilar vocal style. She just released the song yesterday, but she doesn’t want to talk about it. “Now you are annoying me,” she says, half-trying to sound like she’s kidding. She lights a cigarette, looking miserable.

We begin an agonizing, endless meta-conversation about our interview and her relationship with the press. “I find the nature of the questions difficult,” she says. ” ‘Cause it’s not like I’m a rock band and you’re asking how everything got made and what it’s like touring in arenas and what are the girls like. It’s about my father. It’s about my mental health. It’s fucking personal. And these questions all have negative inferences: It’s just like, ‘SNL. Do you actually want to kill yourself?’ … Maybe I’m sensitive. Do you think?”

That’s when she says she doesn’t want to be on the cover of Rolling Stone anymore. She also says, “What you write won’t matter” – meaning that nothing will change her detractors’ minds about her.

It goes on and on. “You hit all my more sensitive weaknesses, all my Achilles’ heels. You’re asking all the right questions. I just really don’t want to answer them.” Every attempt to talk her off this rhetorical ledge seems to make it worse. Del Rey stands up, in a distinct “time to go” gesture.

“I definitely presented myself well, and that’s all I’ve ever done,” she says, walking me downstairs. “And that’s never really gotten me anywhere. I’m just uncomfortable, and it has nothing to do with you.”

Stepping out, I try to convince her that her crisis of confidence over the interview is no big deal. It is, again, the wrong thing to say.

“It’s not a crisis of confidence, it’s not,” she says, standing in the doorway. “I am confident.” Her eyes are ablaze with hurt and pride. “I am.” She says goodbye, and shuts the door.

wow… i forget sometimes how horrible it was. they treated her like a zoo animal n not like an actual human being. 

12 minutes ago, lilac heaven said:

i think a lot of it is that the negative attention she received wasn’t just tabloid stuff; it was unfair and irrelevant and not about the music at all. it was attacking her own sense of self. going back and re-reading things journalists would ask her early in her career today, it’s fucking gross and it was never about the music, and other artists, especially men, weren’t asked the kinds of questions she was. i didn’t think much of it when i was younger but it’s so weird and disgusting looking back on, Lana has every right to be pissed about how they treated her. nobody ever asks for that, no matter what kind of career they want

Reveal hidden contents

Then, really without warning, her mood shifts. It’s a powerful thing, palpable in the room, like a sudden mass of threatening clouds. Her eyes seem to turn a shade darker: Trust no one. I ask, perversely, about “Fucked My Way Up to the Top,” one of Ultraviolence‘s best songs, which attacks an unnamed imitator who didn’t have to go through the gauntlet Del Rey did. It may be about Lorde, who criticized Del Rey’s lyrics but has a not-dissimilar vocal style. She just released the song yesterday, but she doesn’t want to talk about it. “Now you are annoying me,” she says, half-trying to sound like she’s kidding. She lights a cigarette, looking miserable.

We begin an agonizing, endless meta-conversation about our interview and her relationship with the press. “I find the nature of the questions difficult,” she says. ”‘Cause it’s not like I’m a rock band and you’re asking how everything got made and what it’s like touring in arenas and what are the girls like. It’s about my father. It’s about my mental health. It’s fucking personal. And these questions all have negative inferences: It’s just like, ‘SNL. Do you actually want to kill yourself?’ … Maybe I’m sensitive. Do you think?”

That’s when she says she doesn’t want to be on the cover of Rolling Stone anymore. She also says, “What you write won’t matter” – meaning that nothing will change her detractors’ minds about her.

It goes on and on. “You hit all my more sensitive weaknesses, all my Achilles’ heels. You’re asking all the right questions. I just really don’t want to answer them.” Every attempt to talk her off this rhetorical ledge seems to make it worse. Del Rey stands up, in a distinct “time to go” gesture.

“I definitely presented myself well, and that’s all I’ve ever done,” she says, walking me downstairs. “And that’s never really gotten me anywhere. I’m just uncomfortable, and it has nothing to do with you.”

Stepping out, I try to convince her that her crisis of confidence over the interview is no big deal. It is, again, the wrong thing to say.

“It’s not a crisis of confidence, it’s not,” she says, standing in the doorway. “I am confident.” Her eyes are ablaze with hurt and pride. “I am.” She says goodbye, and shuts the door.

what the hell was that interview wow is it real :biblio: what year is this from

1 minute ago, bluedealer said:

what the hell was that interview wow is it real :biblio: what year is this from

it’s her Rolling Stone cover story from 2014. the first thing the journalist asked her was “on a scale of 1-10, how much do you wish you were dead right now” https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/lana-del-rey-the-saddest-baddest-diva-in-rock-179412/amp/

30 minutes ago, Rico25 said:

Exactly

The lazy Cancel culture tried to come for her, she was also body shamed and called a Karen for a while, was or has been criticized for being "fake" since BTD on top of having an actual stalker

She has been very strong. Every artist somehow earns his pocket change from fame, but what he did with it was always very delicate. I, as a person, feel awful when I'm judged negatively, and it's extremely exhausting (and unfair) to have to prove we're not who we're told we are. :sadcore:

4 minutes ago, lilac heaven said:

it’s her Rolling Stone cover story from 2014. the first thing the journalist asked her was “on a scale of 1-10, how much do you wish you were dead right now” https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/lana-del-rey-the-saddest-baddest-diva-in-rock-179412/amp/

wow I don't remember that one I was probably too young to understand. Oh god this is disgusting. Especially that part 'Del Rey has never been in therapy' like who the fuck ask such personal questions. What the hell.... 

She has fans trying to kill, rob and kidnap her every year-let’s not act like it isn’t hell to be Lana sometimes 

3 minutes ago, bluedealer said:

wow I don't remember that one I was probably too young to understand. Oh god this is disgusting. Especially that part 'Del Rey has never been in therapy' like who the fuck ask such personal questions. What the hell.... 

questions are asked like this constantly and she has every right to say no or she can answer… tbh from the audio the interviewer didn’t really twist any of her answers but was too personal for my liking 

Lana herself said in The Guardian that she felt the media’s attack on her during her debut was personal. That was in 2014. With statements she’s made since then, it’s safe to assume she still feels the same way, and she may be right. 

But I’m tired of her always feeling the need to retort to the critics….but it gave us UV & BB so I guess I can’t complain too much.

1 minute ago, bluedealer said:

9 minutes ago, lilac heaven said:

It’s a tough article to read, these days. Not that that interview was superbly conducted at all, but we’ve come a long way on how we talk about mental health. No way that some questions would be asked today. And I don’t want to give a complete absolution to Lana either: she had been misquoted or said problematic stuff in some interviews, there were rumours about her not wanting to tour, plus that interview was after UV (we still had no idea who she really was at that time, if she was this destructive girl that would burn out or if her albums were only a part of her and not the whole thing)

it’s really interesting noticing the direct parallels between what she said in interviews almost a decade ago and lyrics now. like, 

from that 2014 Rolling Stone profile, and then

Swisher Sweet magazines, promise you it's not ‘cause of you that I'm mean, it's my afterthoughts
And what I never said, why there's a price on my head
It's nothing to do with them, it's my karmic lineage

in Black Bathing Suit. it actually kinda sounds like that lyric is specifically referencing the Rolling Stone interview

5 hours ago, bambi eyes said:

anyone else miss her blonde chemtrails era?? i feel like the blonde hair suited her so well and she shouldve kept it longer, its one of my favorite looks of hers. 

either way, lana looks gorgeous with any hair color

d73c71f973ed6b7685930685d05a816f.jpg

whoaaaaa

i love this picture. i think that hair color really suits her.

1 hour ago, evalionisameme said:

She has fans trying to kill, rob and kidnap her every year-let’s not act like it isn’t hell to be Lana sometimes 

lmao i thought this said she had fans trying to kill rob and i was like what did poor rob do :oprah2:

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

I was reading the scalp massage office brochure

And i though
Maybe Id be less cone-like
If i get massaged more often
Like Chuck's Baby
Taking selfies in pink hats hiding its cone-shaped head

But I don't have it
Baby, I don't have it
No, I don't have it
No, I don't have it

I've been tearing my wigs in my fucking nightgown
24/7 bald like out-of-drag RuPaul
Crying cone-shaped tears
Because my cone-shaped head cannot produce any other
Don't ask if I'm happy with my scalp, you know that I'm not
At best I can wear a cheap hat
Until you touched me gently,
Massaging my cone-shaped head until it became a circle
Yeah, and you touched me gently,

I had fifty hundred surgeries
Forehead fillers, yeah I've had
Combing my hair with a cone-shaped comb
is the only love I've ever known
Except for this scalp massage treatment
which I found online, when I was not
Crying and looking at other happy people
With circle-shaped heads
Hello, it's Elizabeth Grant
Calling from the tunnel, I would like to book an appointment

I've been tearing my wigs in my fucking nightgown
Like a goddamn near traffic cone
Posting my boobies is the only thing that's
Drew attention away from my cone-shaped head
Until you touched me gently,
Yeah, and you touched me gently,

giphy.gif

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧✿☆𝐦𝐲 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐩𝐨𝐞𝐭𝐫𝐲☆✿✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧✿☆𝐦𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐚𝐜𝐲☆✿✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

1 minute ago, For K said:

Literally. I understand her hesitation and all of the complications of figuring out payouts for all her former producers if she made an unreleased album but she really should. The problem is she has enough unreleased songs to make 20+ albums at minimum :awkney:

Bringing it to random discussion thread, but I think she could do an unreleased box set like this

Lana Del Rey the unreleased collection

Part 1: Cute Pop Tracks

Meet Me In The Pale Moonlight, She's Not Me, BBM Baby, Playing Dangerous, You Can Be The Boss, St. Tropez, Queen of Disaster, Hollywood & maybe even some popular demos like the Diet Mountain Dew demos 

Part 2: Other Kinda Pop Tracks

Serial Killer, Kill Kill, Ridin, Hundred Dollar Bill, Smarty, You Can be The Boss, Prom Song, Kinda Outta Luck, TV I Black & White

Part 2: Slower Tracks

Yes To Heaven, Pawn Shop Blues, Fine China, Dragonslayer, Crazy For You, California

Part 3: Ultraviolence/Angry Tracks

Your Girl, Velvet Crowbar

Part 4: Something maybe a demos section or unheard unreleased section

UtrMWJM.jpg

~Mon amour,  je sais que tu m'aimes aussi ~