Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,060 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

9 minutes ago, barttttender said:

Just make a playlist without the tracks that don't work for you. I've cut out the interludes and the two mega boring song (Kintsugi, Fingertips) and the album is an hour long and flows so much better. 

Those 4 songs have the lowest streams so I'm not the only one who's done this. Just really unnecessary tracks that should have been scrapped. It's strange ho she releases something like Judas Smith Interlude but songs like Serial Killer, Driving in Cars with Boys or Fine China were never released.

200.webp

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23 - 10/7/23

11 minutes ago, barttttender said:

Just make a playlist without the tracks that don't work for you. I've cut out the interludes and the two mega boring song (Kintsugi, Fingertips) and the album is an hour long and flows so much better. 

Those 4 songs have the lowest streams so I'm not the only one who's done this. Just really unnecessary tracks that should have been scrapped. It's strange ho she releases something like Judas Smith Interlude but songs like Serial Killer, Driving in Cars with Boys or Fine China were never released.

Omg Kintsugi and Fingertips are the cornerstones of this album for me 😭 I couldn't imagine it without them

24 minutes ago, barttttender said:

Girl, if you can listen those songs without falling asleep, kudos to you. But no everyone is made of steel.

think by the third of march, i was cracked open giphy.webp

finally the ground was cold, they wouldn't open giphy.webp

brought by the sunlight of the spirit to pour into rain giphy.webp

there's a name for it in japanese, it's kintsugi giphy.webp

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23 - 10/7/23

Another opinion, but I think this album is not made to be played from beginning to end for everyone. I think the songs are chosen in such a way that everyone can find the kind of songs they like, which is not easy because there are so many different tastes. So it's not so unusual or bad to exclude some songs.

Kintsugi and Fingertips are essential in Lana’s discography. The foggy examinations of grief, loss, memory and trauma with such delicate instrumentation as the sonic foundation are just lyrical pearls that deserve to go down in the songwriting history books. No one’s doing it like her.

IMG-7960.jpg

16 hours ago, honey dew said:

Omg Kintsugi and Fingertips are the cornerstones of this album for me 😭 I couldn't imagine it without them

And yet, they've seen the lowest streaming numbers alongside the interludes. Team delulu much? But anyway, to each their own.

8 hours ago, barttttender said:

And yet, they've seen the lowest streaming numbers alongside the interludes. Team delulu much? But anyway, to each their own.

Why are you always so abrasive when you’re defending your opinions? Pop culture is in a very particular wavelength where everything is meant to be consumed as fast as possible: songs are chopped up and sped to fit minute-sized videos and fancaps and also to suit the latest trends until the the next ones come along. It comes with no surprise that most people that dwell in the internet and are more likely to be exposed to Lana’s music aren’t quite inclined to listen to longer songs like Kintsugi and Fingertips when they’re the same people who propelled easier-to-digest songs like Boy’s a Liar Pt.2 to mainstream success. 

Longer, more introspective songs that have no interest in catering to the mainstream’s sensibilities and trends have always been a constant in music, ranging from artists like Björk and Tori Amos to Jeff Buckley and Radiohead among so many others, most of whom are clear influences and inspirations to Lana. It’s ok to not like them but to use spotify stats as a determining factor as to why an artist like Lana - who spent her entire career fighting to have the right to swim against the tide to the beating of her own drum - is being less successful is pointless. Every time people questioned why she was doing things a certain way instead of more obvious alternatives, she proved time and time again that following her gut and honoring her whims is exactly why she’s one of the most respected and celebrated artists working today. 

IMG-7960.jpg

6 minutes ago, blackenedrussianpoetry said:

I’m really the only Margaret fan here huh

The poll in fact shows that there are more Margaret fans than The Grants fans and Sweet fans, which is extremely worrying. Research has shown that Sweet fans are the most oppressed and socially isolated demographic on Lanaboards, and the most likely to suffer from major depression and comorbidities such as fibromyalgia, schizophrenia and iron deficiency.

i actually very much like having the interludes included on the album. there's something euphoric in jon batiste's that brings a lot of heat and adds to candy necklace's montage/ journey. it feels like it serves as a kind of rhapsodic release, and can also harken the parallel of dancing w the devil/ music industry etc. 

judah is a bit annoying to go thru, but what I like that it adds is probably Lana's side commentary thru the pastor as a kind of fleshing out a story of tulsa jesus freak's story continuance. and how the men she's been with, sometimes how she idolizes, finally becomes actually human.

and that there's this saying where i'm not you. when someone might project and assume you're one way, when you're only just going off who the other party is, and finally stepping away from that kind of man back towards an inner self-reflection and return to your actual self. 

the theme of spirituality on this album's just beautifully woven, from something being worshipped to convolution, to then being stripped away to the sound of Grandfather. 

UV/Honeymoon

20 hours ago, Sportscruiser said:

Why are you always so abrasive when you’re defending your opinions? Pop culture is in a very particular wavelength where everything is meant to be consumed as fast as possible: songs are chopped up and sped to fit minute-sized videos and fancaps and also to suit the latest trends until the the next ones come along. It comes with no surprise that most people that dwell in the internet and are more likely to be exposed to Lana’s music aren’t quite inclined to listen to longer songs like Kintsugi and Fingertips when they’re the same people who propelled easier-to-digest songs like Boy’s a Liar Pt.2 to mainstream success. 

Longer, more introspective songs that have no interest in catering to the mainstream’s sensibilities and trends have always been a constant in music, ranging from artists like Björk and Tori Amos to Jeff Buckley and Radiohead among so many others, most of whom are clear influences and inspirations to Lana. It’s ok to not like them but to use spotify stats as a determining factor as to why an artist like Lana - who spent her entire career fighting to have the right to swim against the tide to the beating of her own drum - is being less successful is pointless. Every time people questioned why she was doing things a certain way instead of more obvious alternatives, she proved time and time again that following her gut and honoring her whims is exactly why she’s one of the most respected and celebrated artists working today. 

I hear ya. All valid points. Thanks for sharing.

But I think you also missed my point. Which was that it's no accident that Fingertips and Kintsugi have the worst streaming numbers alongside Lana songs like The Trip or Flipside or Beatiful - they're just not that great as songs, and fans seem to agree

Let's not mystify things and talk about Bjork and Radiohead and introspection. Lana was alternative from the start, and charts were never Lana's obsession

It's just that if they were good songs, people would stream then a lot more, it's that simple. Look at Ocean Boulevard, that's also a slow, introspective ballad. Yet it's the second most streamed on the record. Paris Texas, right up there.

Yea, the opinion of the masses doesn't mean much. Who cares and people have awful taste. But still, if I was writing all these songs and my voice note "song" came last in streaming, I most definitely wouldn't rush to do 10 more of those.