Chris Cuomo

Katy Perry

After being extremely underwhelmed with my first listen, this album has grown on me as a paint by numbers Katy Perry album. It's an enjoyable listen and does the job of a pop album, but (controversial opinion alert) it has made me appreciate Witness a bit more. Witness was more of a risk and sounds like growth, it's sad that the backlash of that era has made her almost retreat in terms of her artistry... Obviously, this album is safe and was a clear attempt to win back the GP and remind them of her Teenage Dream / PRISM success. It just looks like it hasn't worked in terms of charts and numbers... And I don't know where she goes from here?

I imagine it'll be a while until the next record but I hope she either goes down the acoustic, stripped back route, as teased. Or she tries to explore a new sound and push herself a little more. Likelihood is a greatest hits package and the vegas residency?

Either way, I'm glad she seems in a good place and is still releasing music and still seemingly enjoying being a popstar. She has a well deserved break ahead of her and time to grow as a human and become a mother and I'm sure she'll thrive, doing so.

So I stand by my initial listen through review

but after listening to it now for a few days on and off, I’m a fan. Seeing it purely as a compilation of songs from Katy (I’ve come to terms that ever since TD she can’t fully commit to a fully realised album theme Soz girl) it’s still fun and enjoyable. 

it’s like easy fun pop that I’ve grown accustomed to from her, I’ve added a bunch of tracks to my current playlist (like NTEOTW, CAIL and TE) and just listening to the album on random flows better than how it’s laid out on the record

I’m honestly happy for Katy where she feels like she just wants to put music out, regardless of numbers, like she’s said she’s done most of it already ahah I think she’s comfortable with her sound and that’s good for her

i wish she would’ve pushed her songmaking back with Prism, but oh well

It’s like I know what to expect now and that’s in-cohesive Katy-esque pop bops And I love that

I wanna make a mega Katy playlist now and see what happens

ALSO I feel like I remember she said in a livestream or something somewhere that she wasn’t initially gonna put this album out but because she had so many songs she thought “what the hey”

and honestly, I’m down for that

if she’s making shit I’m gonna be listening to it

tumblr_mmkkluK6l81sp6362o1_500.png" />

Have to say Smile is a very cute pop record, very clear, concise and fun. Doesn't drag at all

Never Really Over, Champagne Problems and Tucked are probably my trinity for now. Tucked is just sooo good and NRO feels timeless

Also love Teary Eyes, CAIL, even the title track is very catchy, makes me smile lol.

And Harleys works better within the album imo, didn't like it too much when it came out

The only song I don't really care for so far is Only Love. And What Makes a Woman definitely ends too abruptly. Could've used one more chorus or at least a few more lines 

Still love Katy after stanning for 12 years

Honestly, a greatest hits album from her would be pretty amazing! I know they're not really a thing anymore but perhaps when she kicks off the Vegas residency (if that's still happening), she could launch one alongside the show. I mean, her singles run is kinda incredible...

1. I Kissed A Girl
  2. Hot N Cold
  3. Thinking Of You
  4. Waking Up In Vegas
  5. California Gurls featuring Snoop Dogg
  6. Teenage Dream
  7. Firework
  8. E.T. featuring Kanye West
  9. Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)
  10. The One That Got Away
  11. Part Of Me
  12. Wide Awake
  13. Roar
  14. Unconditionally
  15. Dark Horse featuring Juicy J
  16. Birthday
  17. Chained To The Rhythm featuring Skip Marley
  18. Bon Appetit featuring Migos
  19. Never Really Over
  20. Harleys In Hawaii
  21. Daisies

28 minutes ago, bored said:

Honestly, a greatest hits album from her would be pretty amazing! I know they're not really a thing anymore but perhaps when she kicks off the Vegas residency (if that's still happening), she could launch one alongside the show. I mean, her singles run is kinda incredible...

1. I Kissed A Girl
  2. Hot N Cold
  3. Thinking Of You
  4. Waking Up In Vegas
  5. California Gurls featuring Snoop Dogg
  6. Teenage Dream
  7. Firework
  8. E.T. featuring Kanye West
  9. Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)
  10. The One That Got Away
  11. Part Of Me
  12. Wide Awake
  13. Roar
  14. Unconditionally
  15. Dark Horse featuring Juicy J
  16. Birthday
  17. Chained To The Rhythm featuring Skip Marley
  18. Bon Appetit featuring Migos
  19. Never Really Over
  20. Harleys In Hawaii
  21. Daisies

Hurts how you didn't include Swish Swish and If We Ever Meet Again.

6 hours ago, howtobeaheartbreaker said:

Hurts how you didn't include Swish Swish and If We Ever Meet Again.

I honestly just don't like Swish Swish haha! And wasn't she just featured on If We Ever Meet Again?

Sad for katy,  5  years back I wanted her to flop to shut up her annoying fans. But this is really painful to watch and didn’t expect things to fall of a cliff in terms of success. Many songs on the album are good a solid 8 out of 10 for me. The critics are out to get her.  

it’s Ironic an album about flopping is flopping! Let’s hope Katy can stay true to her word and smile through it all. 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

3 hours ago, bored said:

Random, anybody know if there's an MP3 download available of her 2005 unreleased album... Goes by (A) Katy Perry?

We don't have a finalized tracklist for it. Almost all the tracks off one of the drafts have leaked though. I'm not sure there's a master post, but there should be

BzhmW.png

i'm really late to the smile party because the singles took a while to sit in but basically my opinion of smile is that it can be turned into a fairly strong 6 to 7 track ep and that is the version i'll be listening to

Spoiler
  1. never really over
  2. cry about it later
  3. daisies
  4. not the end of the world
  5. champagne problems (this one is optional nteotw flows into hih pretty well i just like this song)
  6. harleys in hawaii
  7. never worn white

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

10 hours ago, The Ocean said:

i'm really late to the smile party because the singles took a while to sit in but basically my opinion of smile is that it can be turned into a fairly strong 6 to 7 track ep and that is the version i'll be listening to

Hide contents
  1. never really over
  2. cry about it later
  3. daisies
  4. not the end of the world
  5. champagne problems (this one is optional nteotw flows into hih pretty well i just like this song)
  6. harleys in hawaii
  7. never worn white

You’d put Never Worn White on over Tucked...

I ended up removing a few songs, it sounds cooler this way imo:

Spoiler
  1. Cry About It Later
  2. Teary Eyes
  3. Daisies
  4. Resilient
  5. Not the End of the World
  6. Smile
  7. Champagne Problems
  8. Tucked
  9. Harleys In Hawaii
  10. High on Your Supply
  11. Only Love
  12. Never Worn White
  13. Smile (feat. Diddy)

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

28 minutes ago, Hundred Dollar Bill said:

Would y’all say Smile is better than Witness? I haven’t given Smile a listen yet because I was so let down by Witness.. 

It definitely feels more like an album, where witness felt a lot more everywhere.