Elle

LDR10 - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

24 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

Don’t kill me - but do we think there’s going to be a strong country influence on this next album? Some signs point to it - 

1. Covering Stand By Your Man at the recent shows. She covered For Free on the NFR tour and it was on the following album. Perhaps a studio version exists and will be on the next album?

2. An Instagram story from September 2022 captioned “I hope you guys like country music”. At that point, most of DYKTTATUOB was finished, with Margaret (the last song recorded) written and recorded that month. Perhaps she started work on the following record already?

3. Her recent studio session in Alabama, which, as a southern state, has a lot of overlap with a more “Americana” country sound. 

if that means that the piano is getting switched out for a guitar then i am for it  :party:

4 hours ago, IanadeIrey said:

Don’t kill me - but do we think there’s going to be a strong country influence on this next album? Some signs point to it - 

1. Covering Stand By Your Man at the recent shows. She covered For Free on the NFR tour and it was on the following album. Perhaps a studio version exists and will be on the next album?

2. An Instagram story from September 2022 captioned “I hope you guys like country music”. At that point, most of DYKTTATUOB was finished, with Margaret (the last song recorded) written and recorded that month. Perhaps she started work on the following record already?

3. Her recent studio session in Alabama, which, as a southern state, has a lot of overlap with a more “Americana” country sound. 

Well, if that's the case, I hope it's not all old school country throughout. We need at least one song with a modern twist like Old Town Road by Lil Nas X. I mean, it's 2023 and things have evolved from thhe Brokeback Mountain era sonically. Leave old school country to Keith Urban.

But does anyone else here want Lana to go back to beats and drums? Like full-blown Born to Die hip-hop shit? Like if you agree.

Personally, I'm dying for it! DYING. Not since Doin' Time and Don't Call me Angel (both in the last decade) did we get a straight-up bop. Been listening to the Say Yes to Heaven remixes all day long. Her voice fits the retro vibe so well, and kudos to her for always finding the right classic context, but it can also sound very modern and sexy (the voice of a generation), and she's just not giving it the contemporary space it deserves. It's just a shame that her output is 80% classic (the greatest, OB, White Dress, the Grants, Say Yes to Heaven, Margaret, Mariner's, NFR, etc etc. etc.), and 20% contemporary (Summertime Sadness, Summer Bummer, Off to the Races, National Anthem, HIgh by the Beach, Doin' Time). I wish it were at least 70-30. And it's all down to production and tempo. Because a lot of her songs could be produced as contemporary pop easily.

4 hours ago, IanadeIrey said:

My unpopular opinion is that we have had some kind of country/folk influenced songs in every of her albums. Like even Video Games and Ride (they're not "yeehaw and banjo" country but they have like similar rhythm which is in country music), Lana has said that in an interview too. So, country/folk is inevitable at this point but I'm not complaining! :whatever2:

url%5D

lost at sea is seriously one of the most beautfiful songs she's done in a while :crai:

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

4 hours ago, barttttender said:

Well, if that's the case, I hope it's not all old school country throughout. We need at least one song with a modern twist like Old Town Road by Lil Nas X. I mean, it's 2023 and things have evolved from thhe Brokeback Mountain era sonically. Leave old school country to Keith Urban.

But does anyone else here want Lana to go back to beats and drums? Like full-blown Born to Die hip-hop shit? Like if you agree.

girl how is it possible for every single one of your posts to be filled with such bad opinions? i like born to die as much as the next gal but like she's already done it!! no need to rehash it!! like i'm here for some more fun upbeat songs and i think we will get some but born to die lana is never coming back! luckily tho the album still exists and no one can take it away from you!

and like modern country, are you serious? yeah old town road was fun but for the most part modern country is a stain on country music and the most cringe thing out there. old school country is actually high quality and suits lana. and old school country isn't keith urban, its like johnny cash and willie nelson and graham parsons. its loretta lynn and skeeter davis and tammy wynette. or like even a rock-country-gospel serve à la elvis presley or wanda jackson isn't so unlikely and that would still give us upbeat songs and classic lana vibes!

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

4 hours ago, Embach said:

My unpopular opinion is that we have had some kind of country/folk influenced songs in every of her albums. Like even Video Games and Ride (they're not "yeehaw and banjo" country but they have like similar rhythm which is in country music), Lana has said that in an interview too. So, country/folk is inevitable at this point but I'm not complaining! :whatever2:

yeah like i always found lana's music had a slight country tinge to it. even her older singing style around born to die had a bit of a country feel to it. and at heart she's a storyteller so both folk and country are natural for her. but we also know she rarely limits herself to one basic sound so i'm sure a "country" album would still have some pop & rock influences. like chemtrails was her "folk" album but tulsa jesus freak was like down-tempo pop and dark but just a game was kinda trip-hoppy and like idk exactly how to classify white dress or yosemite or the title track but those definitely aren't standard folk. so i imagine a country album would also have that kind of variety.

4 hours ago, ShadesOfViolence said:

Candy Necklace is country/folk too if you think about it:true:

i'd consider it more jazz/blues but blues and country do have a lot of overlap so we could still expect something likw that from lana on a "country" album

5 hours ago, barttttender said:

Been listening to the Say Yes to Heaven remixes all day long.

wildest take on this app like girl omfg u okay?

and also for giving me Margaret

it's so silly that a single musical instrument has scarred some people on here so bad :eartha:

꧁ღ⊱♥ i lost my reputation, i forgot my truth, but i have my beauty and i have my youth ♥⊱ღ꧂

BRILLIANT.gif

lana's made a name and a legend out of herself by not releasing soulless, garbage, corporate pop music, i find it funny that people want to dumb herself down just to avoid her making piano ballads (which she really doesn't do that often, let's be real) or country music (which isn't the same as the mainstream version which is hardly country) or whatever it may be, some of you just aren't really into her recent input and need to admit that to yourselves, also, born to die was a lot more than just basic pop, was it more upbeat and conventional? yes, but it heavily incorporated baroque elements into nearly every track, some country influence with the deep, southern guitars in blue jeans and summertime sadness, and, oh no! video games, a... a... piano ballad! the horror! what will we ever do! 

WGe8ynS.gif

2 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

oh no! video games, a... a... piano ballad! the horror! what will we ever do! 

also one of her most successful songs lawl

I bet she's so lucky Untitled-video-Made-with-Clipchamp.gif to have a voice like that

last.fm

20 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

lana's made a name and a legend out of herself by not releasing soulless, garbage, corporate pop music, i find it funny that people want to dumb herself down just to avoid her making piano ballads (which she really doesn't do that often, let's be real) or country music (which isn't the same as the mainstream version which is hardly country) or whatever it may be, some of you just aren't really into her recent input and need to admit that to yourselves, also, born to die was a lot more than just basic pop, was it more upbeat and conventional? yes, but it heavily incorporated baroque elements into nearly every track, some country influence with the deep, southern guitars in blue jeans and summertime sadness, and, oh no! video games, a... a... piano ballad! the horror! what will we ever do! 

I like most of her Piano Ballads, I just don’t think she needs dozens of Piano Ballads as they will start to become really stale and won’t really add anything to her discography.  Also I think a few of them would actually sound better with more instrumentation and actually 

improve the song.  

I think she has been using more stripped back production and Piano because she probably thinks it puts a better focus on her lyrics and voice and doesn’t want too much distraction from complex production.  I think on Ocean Blvd she’s tried to mix it up and offer the best of both worlds.  I do think she cares what critics think, and as NFR worked so well and gelled with them, she probably feels the Piano Ballads were helpful with that.  

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

After seeing some dense jezebel type feminists mad at Lana for singing Stand By Your Man, I hope she doubles down and triples down. Tammy is great and so is Lana and she sounds amazing. I hope we get even more country and western and sad girl blues

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg

30 minutes ago, ChaoticLipster said:

I like most of her Piano Ballads, I just don’t think she needs dozens of Piano Ballads as they will start to become really stale and won’t really add anything to her discography.  Also I think a few of them would actually sound better with more instrumentation and actually 

improve the song.  

I think she has been using more stripped back production and Piano because she probably thinks it puts a better focus on her lyrics and voice and doesn’t want too much distraction from complex production.  I think on Ocean Blvd she’s tried to mix it up and offer the best of both worlds.  I do think she cares what critics think, and as NFR worked so well and gelled with them, she probably feels the Piano Ballads were helpful with that.  

I agree with you in many ways. Today I imagined how Blue Banisters would sound with a production similar to Black To Black by Amy Winehouse. Compared to what the album would have lost, what it would have gained is invaluable!!

Youtube even has a talented mashup of the Text Book and BTB. Delightfully. I wish Lana would have met someone like Dan Auerbach then...

(I like the text editor on LanaBoards)

Upd: it's just my opinion in the wrong topic for discussion. 2021 is a very special year for discography in a good way