boom like that

Lana interviewed by The Hollywood Reporter [INTERVIEW]

11 hours ago, Orville Peck said:

I’ve collected my cover songs for seven years. :um2:

I wonder how many covers she has recorded in all these years.

btw, I remember rumors of a cover of "Cactus" by Pixies... or delulu?

Seven years :ohno: So we're excluding her covers from 2015ish and earlier?

No Summertime, The Good Life or Heart Shaped Box then :poordat: But at least none of her covers have ever been anything less than masterpieces

51 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

Seven years :ohno: So we're excluding her covers from 2015ish and earlier?

No Summertime, The Good Life or Heart Shaped Box then :poordat: But at least none of her covers have ever been anything less than masterpieces

Never worry about specific details like that straight from Lana - she is never precise. It could mean three years and could mean thirteen.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

The easiest way to hack someone is by emailing them a spoofed link which is actually a fake copy of a website. This way, a hacker could email someone involved in her production and get them to try to log into their email on the fake website and thus the hacker gains access to all their email and related accounts. The hacked person / victim might not even find out they got hacked. It really doesn’t have to be rocket science contrary to what some people might think.

Another way would be a hacker pretending to be someone else by emailing the victim and simply asking for the file. This would require some insider knowledge like who works with whom so that it’s believable. It sounds easy to defend yourself against this, but truth is that even really smart people fall for these all the time.

Unless none of her work is ever sent via email or another similar type of file sharing system, this is the most likely way; that someone in the production line gets fooled by a legit looking link or sender.

11 hours ago, yourlilsuper8 said:

I wonder what she meant by the ‘very specific impulse’ to dress as Marilyn that she ‘won’t say’ is ….

She's building her legacy. Honestly what we have from her is nothing compared to what the bigger picture will look like in 20 years. She's inspired by Marilyn because she is a timeless icon of fame, femininity and America, and Lana is aiming for that level of global recognition (she said Marilyn was as recognisable as Jesus), without the tragic ending. Lana had a beginning but she has no end -- see: Candy Necklace video.

So do we think the covers album is next? Or the country-esque one? 

When I think of 'American classics and standards,' I don't think of 'Rocky Mountain High,' but I can see how Lana might, and it is an 'American classic.' But the music of the Seventies isn't generally considered 'American classic,' especially, like the music of the 60s, so much of it came from Britain.  

'Standards,' to me, are songs like 'I'm a Fool To Want You,' 'Laura,' 'I've Got It Bad And That Ain't Good,' 'Skylark,' 'Love For Sale,' "Lilac Wine,' 'In The Wee Small Hours of the Morning,' etc. and there's literally hundreds or thousands of them.  

If Lana is thinking of 'classics' in terms of the 60s and 70s (perhaps as well as earlier), I'd love to hear her take on the Beach Boys' 'Caroline, No' and Cat Stevens' 'Morning Has Broken,' my all-time favorite 70s song. What about Al Green's 'Love & Happiness'? 

If the standards album is ever released, it's the one album I would like to be cohesive, not an album that contains 'Rocky Mountain High' (let's say) and 'My Funny Valentine' or 'When Your Lover Has Gone.'  I'd prefer it be older songs like 'Lilac Wine' and 'How Deep is the Ocean?", and then maybe a second, or a two-record album, with post-1960s songs. 

Here are my takeaways/assumptions from the interview:

a) Lana is already working on her next album, which will be whatever she considers Americana. She sees it as a natural progression since NFR, so through BB, Chemtrails and Ocean Blvd we can see the progress she’s made to get to where she’s headed with the next album.

b) She is working with a new writer and that person is helping her edit her lyrics, which might mean 1) she’s more ambitious now and 2) the lyrics might end up more thought out and less freestyled (sidenote - she’s a master of freestyling tho).

c) She still wants to release the covers album, but it’s not LDR10.

d) Someone (or multiple people) from her team is leaking her songs or getting hacked, rather than herself since she doesn’t have them digitally herself.

e) She’s more confident with touring/performing now, having support on stage hs helped her a lot but she also feels more ready to be alone on stage - BTW she has been starting the last shows alone on stage with NFR.

f) She thinks people thought of her as a loser before NFR 💔 “There was a reason not to feel confident” - she was and still is ridiculed for the SNL performance so I don’t blame her for not wanting to do live TV shows and understand the Jimmy Fallon 2020 performance being prerecorded.

I liked the interview, I think the interviewer did a great job of asking her relevant questions while still being respectful. Would have loved to see some more juicy ones ofcourse ☺️ But I especially liked reading about what her future album plans are.

On 9/20/2023 at 8:42 AM, West Coast said:

I think she's a bit full of it when she says that she doesn't edit herself or that she pays no mind to critics, because it's quite obvious that she's become more tame, both lyrically and sonically since she had her critical reassessment over NFR, and it kind of explains why she keeps going back to Jack as a producer. She contradicts herself, she contains multitudes.

Interesting interview nonetheless. :blush3:

Lmao huh??? 

fingertips (a deeply personal song with 10 verses and no chorus)

kintsugi (another deeply personal song that goes for 5 minutes with no attempt for mass accessibility)

The Grants 

wildflower wildfire (chopped drums)

text book (slowing down in the chorus on an opening track and single for an album)

blue banisters

white dress (tame??)

wild at heart/if you lie down with me/black bathing suit/dealer/living legend/tulsa/DBJAG/dance till we die (tame???)

a&w (tame?)

ocean blvd

nothing about this gives "tame" lyrically or sonically - post norm she started including actual details up to the actual names of her innermost family and the music has only doubled down in its lack of accessibility. contrasted to something like UV/honeymoon -> LFL releasing COCC, BB, and NFR does not at all seem "tame" so what is this "it's quite obvious" there's not contradictions here y'all just have no critical thinking skills

also jack didn't work only any of BB or like 5 of the songs of OB and on the ones he did (on OB) there were many other producers involved as well 

6 hours ago, jealous girl said:

so I don’t blame her for not wanting to do live TV shows and understand the Jimmy Fallon 2020 performance being prerecorded.

Weren't they all prerecorded during covid though? Maybe that's the reason she said yes in the first place?

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

If Lana is going to work with David Lynch, she'd better hurry. He's 77 and the members of his posse—Angelo Badalamenti, Julie Cruise—are dropping like flies.

I was disappointed in his ghost-written autobiography, 'Room to Dream' in 2018, which seemed to suggest that there was no rabbit in the hat and no man behind the curtain, and I also thought he ruined Twin Peaks with the revival Season 3, which spent most of its running time on Kyle Maclachlan running around like an idiot zombie with a stupid smile on his face. That was a real shot in the foot for him. 

I am a huge fan of 'Blue Velvet,' 'Wild At Heart'—almost too painful to watch—and 'Mulholland Drive'—definitely too painful to watch if you 'get it'—and the first season of Twin Peaks. I like 'Eraserhead' and 'The Elephant Man' too, but not much else (though I've seen everything). I don't care much for 'Fire Walk With Me' despite its excellent Badalamenti score and the extremely painful ending, when the just-murdered Laura is approached by the angel and she laughs and laughs with bitterness—it's far too late for anything to comfort her, even salvation. 

He had some interest in Lana during her early Vamp era as LDR, but it might have been the pose and the overall package as she was then that drew him. As we all know, her persona has changed a great deal, so much so that she's almost a completely different LDR (the same way Nico went from 'Nordic Blond' to 'Brooding Goth Queen'), and we don't know that Lana as she is at present would still hold the same appeal, perhaps mystique, for him.  

Yeah, for some reason there's a bunch of stans who think Lana has gone safe / basic since NFR!, when in literal technical ways it's the total opposite

On 9/21/2023 at 2:12 PM, PARADIXO said:

She's building her legacy. Honestly what we have from her is nothing compared to what the bigger picture will look like in 20 years. She's inspired by Marilyn because she is a timeless icon of fame, femininity and America, and Lana is aiming for that level of global recognition (she said Marilyn was as recognisable as Jesus), without the tragic ending. Lana had a beginning but she has no end -- see: Candy Necklace video.

I hear you and totally recognise the relevance and resonance of Marilyn to Lana. I don’t think Lana is dressing as Marilyn however to reach global recognition. I don’t think Lana does anything for global recognition nowadays to be frank. My sense is Lana only does what’s right by the heart and dressed as her because that’s something she enjoys to do any chance she gets. My question about the ‘very specific impulse’ she has to dress as Marilyn which she ‘won’t say’ just seems to point to a particular personal event which Lana doesn’t want to disclose. 

On 9/22/2023 at 6:16 PM, PARADIXO said:

Yeah, for some reason there's a bunch of stans who think Lana has gone safe / basic since NFR!, when in literal technical ways it's the total opposite

There’s nothing risky about ocean lol- it was very raw to talk about her suicide experiences etc possible assault but these were doing in a very subtle way with muffled singing so many critics didn’t even pick up on it. 

She mostly plays it safe and that’s okay 

Piano and some soft singing has done wonders for her mental health in terms of not having to defend each song