bambi eyes

movies that changed your life?

Thirteen(2003). I watched it for the first time in 5th grade, and it still impacts me till this day. I would also say "Speak" and "The Virgin Suicides" but I read the books before the movie, so the book has shaped me a little bit more than the movie has.

Mm9Nf5Z.gif

"I want to stay home, be left alone- Someone make up my mind so I don't have to decide"

https://www.last.fm/user/fakeeyelash13- my last fm <33

I haven't seen Lost In Translation (2003) and Cold War (2018) from the start to end, I have more seen different scenes and clips from those movies and not gonna lie, the melancholia and themes around them and the endings of these movies, especially the latter's, which was sad as fuck, made me cry not gonna lie :cryney2:

but is Lost In Translation really that depressive? wasn't it labeled as rom-com?

url%5D

The Virgin Suicides is a fantastic book. I can’t imagine the movie is even half as poignant as the book, as the novel features a lot of first person narration. One passage that stays with me all these years later: 

Spoiler

“On different paths, with different coloured eyes or jerkings of the head, they had deciphered the secret to cowardice, or bravery, which ever it was. And the Lisbon girls were always there before them. They had killed themselves over our dying forests, over manatees maimed by propellers as they surfaced to drink from garden hoses; they had killed themselves at the sight of used tires stacked higher than the pyramids; they had killed themselves over the failure to find a love none of us could ever be. In the end, the tortures tearing the Lisbon girls, pointed to a simple reasoned refusal to accept the world as it was hand down to them, so full of flaws.” 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

35 minutes ago, Blue Ink said:

ESOTSM is on my bucket list

I hope I'm gonna like it, my hopes are high now that you mentioned it here :popcorn:

This movie is about forgetting, regrets, bitterness and fate.

It made me aware for the first time, as a teenager, of the complexity and fragility of romantic relationships.

The characters are very endearing.

15 minutes ago, Embach said:

I haven't seen Lost In Translation (2003) and Cold War (2018) from the start to end, I have more seen different scenes and clips from those movies and not gonna lie, the melancholia and themes around them and the endings of these movies, especially the latter's, which was sad as fuck, made me cry not gonna lie :cryney2:

but is Lost In Translation really that depressive? wasn't it labeled as rom-com?

To me, Lost In Translation is neither depressive nor a RomCom (but especially not the latter!).

It's a thoughtful movie of two strangers crossing paths and having an impact on each other's lives. The nature of their relationship is also not completely clear and it has an open ending.

(In my view, their relationship is affectionate and special but platonic. Idk why people always have to make everything about love and sex.)

I'd recommend watching it in full. It also has an amazing soundtrack. Sofia Coppola always has good music in her movies.

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

24 minutes ago, Embach said:

11 minutes ago, Blue Ink said:

Lost In Translation is neither depressive nor a RomCom (but especially not the latter!).

It's a thoughtful movie of two strangers crossing paths and having an impact on each other's lives. The nature of their relationship is also not completely clear and it has an open ending.

(In my view, their relationship is affectionate and special but platonic. Idk why people always have to make everything about love and sex.)

I'd recommend watching it in full. It also has an amazing soundtrack. Sofia Coppola always has amazing songs in her movies.

It is about circumstances.

After watching this movie, I wondered if the love I have for my girlfriend was due to the circumstances of how we met, or if we would have loved each other no matter how. 

It took this movie for me to believe in the latter.

the movie "weekend" (2011) had a huge impact on me, I think I was 17/18 when I watched it and it helped me a lot cause it was at a time when I was discovering my sexuality. imo the story is told in such a realistic way with details you wont catch at the first time watching it. last month I rewatched it and it made me realize how differently I see things now. really recommend it!!

Weekend (2011) – Film Review

SFP2h.gif

Also Lolita, and I think you can draw your own conclusions to what I mean by that....though the book 100x better than the movie, the movie does a horrible job portraying what the message of the book is about. The book actually makes it clear what his intentions really are, without taking away from the book....the movie not so much. 

Oh also I believe in unicorns FOR SURE!

Mm9Nf5Z.gif

"I want to stay home, be left alone- Someone make up my mind so I don't have to decide"

https://www.last.fm/user/fakeeyelash13- my last fm <33

The Love Witch (2016)- hits hard about how women change themselves to appeal to men, even when it gives us a power trip.

Ginger Snaps (2000)- an ahead-of-its-time horror film with main characters that aren't treated exactly like how other horror films treat girls. The music and grungy style as well is everything. I was 14 when I found it and it was the perfect time for me.

Annihilation (2018)- because then I read the books. It does something crazy with the climate crisis feel, but nature is destroying us instead, which is both beautiful and horrifying. This series changed me because i always come back to it as my comfort cosmic horror zone.

Lucy (2014) even tho I watched it again recently and see how anti-asian it is tbh. The movie had vibes tho and calmed down my sense of self in the universe when I was really depressed.

American Beauty 

Cruel Intentions

Marie Antoinette

Lost In Translation

I believe in unicorns

Batman Begins

The Goldfinch (the whole vibe is just so comforting to me) 

The Godfather 1 and 2 

Inkheart (again the vibes)

Knives Out

Twilight (ofc)

Atonement 

Whiplash

Black Swan (i just love a tortured artist who will do anything for their art)

Toy Story :)

22 hours ago, The Sun Also Rises said:
  • In the Mood for Love
  •  

DAMNNN you have taste!!! Wong Kar-wai is such an interesting director so far I've only made my way through Chunking Express and In the mood for love -- but I can already see the influence that the films had on Sophia Coppola's own work. 

14 hours ago, knivesdasilvia said:

DAMNNN you have taste!!! Wong Kar-wai is such an interesting director so far I've only made my way through Chunking Express and In the mood for love -- but I can already see the influence that the films had on Sophia Coppola's own work. 

You've watched the best two (imo)! In the Mood for Love alone was enough for me to cement Wong Kar-wai as one of my all-time favourite directors, it's such a masterpiece :agree:

I've only seen Lost in Translation, The Virgin Suicides and The Bling Ring from Sophia Coppola! I think In the Mood for Love definitely inspired Lost in Translation, which happens to be my favourite of the three!! I love her slow, dreamy style

The cicadas in the sunset are your guide