Sign in to follow this  
Trash Magic

'A&W' named 'Best Song of the 2020s So Far' by Pitchfork

1. Lana Del Rey: “A&W” (2023)

Lana Del Rey dropped “A&W” eight months after the Supreme Court handed down Dobbs v. Jackson, as tradwifery was gaining traction in online corners and the politics of sex and femininity in America seemed fated for a precipitous backslide. The song is both a staggering work of self-mythology and a first-person treatise on the national state of womanhood, tacked up by its central declaration: “This is the experience of being an American whore.”

It’s sneaky, though—more probing than polemic. Jack Antonoff’s production, built around somber broken piano chords and dry guitar strums, seems innocuous enough, at first. Lana’s most explosive lyrics—cataloguing the impossible standards set for victims of sexual violence, the stigma around expressing sexuality as you age—are diffused by her vaporous whisper. Patriarchy is loud, flagrant; Lana’s rejoinder is harder to pin down.

Then the radical switch-up in the song’s second half introduces a thunderous beat, a slew of references to Lana’s own back catalog, and a more impish persona. Behind the whiplash and psychedelia of it all is the impression of a woman pushed over the edge. “Look at me,” she sang earlier, the demand of someone all too familiar with the forces that conspire to make complicated women invisible. Here, she makes it impossible to look away. –Olivia Horn

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/the-100-best-songs-of-the-2020s-so-far/

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

it truly deserves the praise 

𝚈𝚘𝚞 𝚒𝚖𝚙𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚘𝚗𝚊𝚝𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚘𝚗𝚜

𝚈𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚐𝚘𝚕𝚍 𝚊𝚞𝚝𝚞𝚖𝚗𝚊𝚕 𝚑𝚊𝚣𝚎

𝙱𝚞𝚝 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚍𝚒𝚎𝚜 𝚒𝚗𝚜𝚒𝚍𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞

𝚆𝚑𝚎𝚗 𝚠𝚒𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚜 𝚒𝚝𝚜 𝚏𝚊𝚌𝚎 

So deserved!!!!! A&W is truly a massive song, and I think the two-part structure really helps capture LDR's essence in a single song (which I would've thought was impossible!). It's the Rosetta Stone to her discography lowkey, all roads lead to Rosemead and Ramada :true:

o4qjp4j.png

so happy to see this song getting the well-deserved recognition! lana is an amazing artist who will forever be remembered and who will always be loved. she’s a modern legend and this song kinda solidifies that status :party: god bless lana

3 hours ago, drugsdesire said:

I'm so happy to see this song getting the recognition it deserves! Lana is an incredible artist that will always be remembered and loved. She's a modern legend and this song kind of solidifies that status,  :party: God bless Lana

of course the flip side (her work)  makes this artist incomparable

the face side is certainly forgettable

Im so happy this song is getting so much praise I feel like it perfectly speaks to the experiance so many victems of SA like myself experiance regarding hyper sexuality after assault and the  numbness that comes with it

˚ ༘♡ ⋆。˚ juniper * ˚ ✦

LANA DEL REY: AURORA: CHARLIE XCX: MITSKI: FLORENCE + THE MACHINE: FAYE WEBSTER: SOPHIE: MAYA HAWKE: FLEETWOOD MAC: AYESHA EROTICA: HALEY HENDERICKXS: BON IVOR: FKA TWIGS: GRIMES: BOYGENIUS: LUCY DACUS: ALLIE X