Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

Lana’s stupidest lyric is “what if someone had asked Picasso not be to sad”. Not only is it cringey, it’s utterly nonsensical. You can’t just ask someone “not to be sad.” Picasso was a raging alcoholic and would’ve just told you to fuck off. It’s the sole reason I barely listen to Blue Banisters bc that line pisses me off, which no Lana line has ever managed to do before. 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

47 minutes ago, Mer said:

Lana’s stupidest lyric is “what if someone had asked Picasso not be to sad”. Not only is it cringey, it’s utterly nonsensical. You can’t just ask someone “not to be sad.” Picasso was a raging alcoholic and would’ve just told you to fuck off. It’s the sole reason I barely listen to Blue Banisters bc that line pisses me off, which no Lana line has ever managed to do before. 

I don’t think it’s that serious… But that album isn’t good in the slightest and yeah that lyric is cringe 

43 minutes ago, Mer said:

Isn't it the whole point of the line though? She also says in Beautiful "don't tell me to be glad when I'm sad, I really hate that" so I've always understood both lines as a fuck you to the morons who try and cheer depressed people with some Live, Laugh, Love bullshit. They might mean well, but emotions aren't that simple (leaving aside the fact it dangerously minimizes their issues). I don't know, maybe I'm projecting  :awkney:

1 hour ago, Mer said:

But "nobody ever called Pablo Picasso an asshole".

Well, I'm curious. Is it the fact that one interpretation of the song is that she's directly comparing herself to Picasso that pisses people off (i.e., "beautiful like you", where you = Picasso?). Or maybe it's the possibility that Picasso's "Blue period" is his least famous (Idk, I'm not a Picasso aficianado)? So why would she be praising it? On the other hand, the drum-less piano accompaniment (as well as the singing) lives up to the name of the song, imo.

It also kind of makes a good companion song for this song (which is a cover). I'm willing to grant that this is a better song (at least for my tastes), especially the way Bowie does it. However, I hardly think, it's because the lyrics are better (again, imo).

2 hours ago, Mer said:

I agree with this. Blue Banisters is full of lame lyrics though.

"He said I was bad, let me show you how bad girls do
'Cause no one does it better
He said I was bad, let me show you how bad girls do
They said I was bad, and I'll show them what bad girls do"

Really, Lana?

"Beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful like you
Beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful like you

Beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful like you
Beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful like you"

Yawn

:ohsnap:

Or the bunch of mundane images on the title track?

"Jenny jumped into the pool, she was swimmin' with Nikki Lane" 

'Jenny was smokin' by the pool, we were writin' with Nikki Lane' 

'Tex and Mex are in the Bay
Chucky's makin' birthday cake
Chickens runnin' barefeet, there's a baby on the way'

56 minutes ago, honey dew said:

There could be a hundred people in a room.. and they will all hate Beautiful

16 minutes ago, barttttender said:

I agree with this. Blue Banisters is full of lame lyrics though.

"He said I was bad, let me show you how bad girls do
He said I was bad, let me show you how bad girls do
They said I was bad, and I'll show them what bad girls do"

Really, Lana?

"Beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful like you
Beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful like you

Beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful like you
Beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful like you"

Yawn

:ohsnap:

Or the bunch of mundane images on the title track?

"Jenny jumped into the pool, she was swimmin' with Nikki Lane" 

'Jenny was smokin' by the pool, we were writin' with Nikki Lane' 

'Tex and Mex are in the Bay
Chucky's makin' birthday cake
Chickens runnin' barefeet, there's a baby on the way'

I don't think those are unpopular opinions tbh :hide:

Coachella is actually in my Top 5 songs of LFL :bebe:

And idk if this is unpopular but I'm a major Cherry & Cinnamon Girl STAN  and both of them are in my top 5 of the albums they belong to:sluttybunny:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

1 hour ago, Ocean Boulevard said:

Coachella is actually in my Top 5 songs of LFL :bebe:

And idk if this is unpopular but I'm a major Cherry & Cinnamon Girl STAN  and both of them are in my top 5 of the albums they belong to:sluttybunny:

Preach!

url%5D

the say yes to heaven cover art is so fucking funny and everytime i look at it all i can think of is pearl praying with her country bumpkin accent 

Pearl-praying.webp?fit=300,200&ssl=1

gZ0f.gif

On 9/4/2023 at 3:17 AM, Mer said:

far and away the goofiest song she’s ever written, if I were ever to lose step w Lana and her art it’d be if she only made songs like “beautiful” (I can’t see this happening but idk it kind of did w Tori Amos so u never know)

aOaIzH2.gif

On 9/4/2023 at 1:17 AM, Mash Tragic said:

Isn't it the whole point of the line though? She also says in Beautiful "don't tell me to be glad when I'm sad, I really hate that" so I've always understood both lines as a fuck you to the morons who try and cheer depressed people with some Live, Laugh, Love bullshit. They might mean well, but emotions aren't that simple (leaving aside the fact it dangerously minimizes their issues). I don't know, maybe I'm projecting  :awkney:

Actually that's fair, IDK it still sounds extremely goofy and weirdly written to me 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

1 minute ago, Mer said:

Actually that's fair, IDK it still sounds extremely goofy and weirdly written to me 

Well, I have to admit that it is a goofy and weirdly written line :bebe: While (I think) I understand what's her point, it kinda sounds trivial(?). Like, Picasso wasn't just sad, he was extremely depressed, and the whole verse just sounds like Picasso saw a sad movie and decided to paint to get it out of his mind (especially with the eccentricity line before, it fails to portray the true, heartbreaking grief that fueled the whole blue period. It wasn't just an eccentricity in his case). The line does fall flat in that aspect. Interesting meaning, terrible wording.:eek3:

1 hour ago, Mer said:

Sounds like a teenager trying to sound deep at high school. Love Lana's music and artistry to the core, but her circumstancial goofiness is just part of it as well.

On 9/4/2023 at 9:06 AM, Honeytrails said:

I don’t think it’s that serious… But that album isn’t good in the slightest and yeah that lyric is cringe 

Na it's one of her best records and that lyric -and song- are terrible as well, they aren't uncompatible.

50 minutes ago, ultrabanisters said:

sweet is probably one of (if not) the best songs on OB it’s so so so beautiful

I love it so so much. :trisha: Especially the part "If I'm not there...", idk it just sounds so special and meaningful and reminds me of the devotion expressed in Old Money or How To Disappear (I'm always going to be right here), but this time it's up to her partner to run for her. It always makes me super emotional to imagine (finally) having someone forever by my side. :krylie:

Side note while we're (still) at it with the Beautiful slander: if I'm not mistaken, I saw people comparing Sweet and Beautiful but I don't hear the similarities :stareney2: Sweet is currently part of my top 3 in OB while Beautiful... well, let's say I now tolerate the verses. :awkney2: Whereas, Sweet is an amazing song with a beautiful melody, a real chorus and lovely lyrics :oprah3: 

1 hour ago, Americanboy said:

Beautiful is over hated. The Picasso lyric is not that bad, and I gather what she means more or less; don't tell her how to be, she has agency over her feelings and knows what to do with them: make beautiful music. 

Now that's an unpopular opinion. :smile3: