Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

West Coast is definitely Lana's most overrated song. It's cute and all, but not even in the top 10 best songs on Ultraviolence.

Why is this a problem?

Lana literally said, look at the people you admire, find out what they did, and do the same thing. They are just following her advice. Besides, it's natural to want to emulate someone as perfect as Lana, and you can't deny that the world she created through her songs is very captivating. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that.

Firstly, West Coast is a fucking masterpiece. If it's not in your top 10 best songs on Ultraviolence, then where is it? In the bottom 16??? Ok....

Also, I do agree that in a way, it is natural to want to be similar to those you admire and look up to, but there is still a thing called having your OWN personality, mindset and views. It's fine if you are inspired by Lana in terms of fashion, her music, or maybe even some of her own beliefs, therefore you try to replicate some of those aspects, but trying to be exactly like her IS a problem. No one is going to be 100% like anyone else, so trying to live exactly like Lana and act exactly as she does is just ridiculous and completely unrealistic. If someone's goal is to be just like Lana, they're just setting themselves up for failure. They're never going to succeed. I think it's more important to own your own personality and live your own life!! Don't try to be a carbon copy of someone else...

The other problem is that young girls are living out Lana's comment regarding her attraction to older men. This is dangerous particularly for underage girls who are potentially fantasising about what could end up being abusive, illegal relationships. I don't think it's Lana's fault that some girls have adopted this attitude (I feel like that comment she made was more casual and perhaps a part of her persona, and let's be real, she hasn't dated a guy older than her for years, so she obviously doesn't even live by that statement anyway), but it is important we don't allow young girls like this to continue making comments like, "I want to date a much older man and be JUST like Lana!!!" We need to educate them, firstly, that they should never enter a relationship with an adult while they are still a child. It's dangerous and illegal, and if they ever end up engaging in intimate relationships, the man will be charged with rape/pedophilia, because they are underage.

On another note, I think when Lana was talking about following in the footsteps of your idols by finding out what they did, then doing the same, I think it was more so in relation to achieving the same career as them/getting to a similar point in life as them. I highly doubt she would encourage young girls to be just like her. She's saying, take aspects of the person you admire, and apply some of them to your own life, but don't dispose of your own unique personality just to take on someone else's.

Firstly, West Coast is a fucking masterpiece. If it's not in your top 10 best songs on Ultraviolence, then where is it? In the bottom 16??? Ok....

1. Old Money
  2. Ultraviolence
  3. Flipside
  4. Pretty When You Cry
  5. Brooklyn Baby
  6. Cruel World
  7. Is This Happiness
  8. Money Power Glory
  9. Fucked My Way Up To The Top
  10. Florida Kilos
  11. Sad Girl
  12. The Other Woman

These songs are all better than WC imo. Then WC is better than these 3:

1. Shades of Cool
  2. Guns and Roses
  3. Black Beauty

1. Old Money
  2. Ultraviolence
  3. Flipside
  4. Pretty When You Cry
  5. Brooklyn Baby
  6. Cruel World
  7. Is This Happiness
  8. Money Power Glory
  10. Florida Kilos
  11. Sad Girl
  12. The Other Woman

1. Shades of Cool
  2. Guns and Roses
  3. Black Beauty

OK, I really don't see how anyone could place West Coast so low on the list, but anyway, I guess everyone is allowed their own opinion  :toofunny:

For me, West Coast is one of Lana's best songs ever. Those sweeping synthesisers, heavy drums and beautiful tempo change against the coastal atmosphere and Lana's angelic vocals are all so amazing  :flutter:

OK, I really don't see how anyone could place West Coast so low on the list, but anyway, I guess everyone is allowed their own opinion  :toofunny:

For me, West Coast is one of Lana's best songs ever. Those sweeping synthesisers, heavy drums and beautiful tempo change against the coastal atmosphere and Lana's angelic vocals are all so amazing  :flutter:

Yeah It's all different for everyone.

I think the last 1 minute is the best when the instrumental becomes that autotuned spaceship sound :legend:

Of course it's not a bad song I just prefer lots of other songs over it.

Yeah It's all different for everyone.

I think the last 1 minute is the best when the instrumental becomes that autotuned spaceship sound :legend:

Of course it's not a bad song I just prefer lots of other songs over it.

Fair enough :)

When I see Lana stans on Instagram (not to generalize, I know that not all are like this), it makes me want to puke. Thinking they are Lolita, saying things like 'I love older men !!! Daddy !! xx" and acting like Lana. Writing like her, dressing like her, having her nails like her, liking the same she likes, being literally her. Dear God, I've seen a lot of underage girls saying things like ''I want to date an older man so bad mmm daddy'' AND I'M LIKE WTF GIRL WTF ¿?¿¿? Some fans should buy a personality, really. And a brain too.

I don't know, but I don't like the way Lana describes little girls with older man. She should say something, like, if you're underage, this isn't right.

we call those types of fans RAYS.  They also love to spread misinformation about anything from Lana's past that LB has debunked years ago  :smokes3:

I'd like to re-iterate that what @ implies (for me) is that some people *claim* to be influenced by LDR wrt to engaging in Lolita-like behavior, and that they do so just to darken her reputation. So it is unknown (to me) how many real "Darwin Award" posts there are as versus just malicious posts. Also, I don't like that they are termed "Rays" as they could basically just be Trolls, and I don't like sullying the reputation of the AKA album (which I wish she'd re-release) by referring to trolls as "Rays".

I also have a problem with the whole "LDR likes Lolita" situations in her discography/videography (her actual dating history being irrelevant). She is much more ambivalent than people give her credit for. We know there is Put Me in A Movie from AKA which is as much about predation, perhaps; it depends on what kind of spin you want to put on the song. There's the song Cola, whose character says she likes older guys, but there's nothing in the song that suggests she's really that young. The character says "I know your wife and she wouldn't mind" rather suggests she's a peer of the wife. There's the song Lolita, but the female in it "knocks the boys down like dominoes", suggesting she is older than Lolita, the Nabokov character.  The Lolita character in OTTR has a Las Vegas past. LDR's videos are balanced for young and older love interests. Ride is perhaps the most problematic, but it doesn't specifically bear on the Lolita issue too much. It's more about running away and being dependent on *experienced* nomads (the type of nomad you want to be dependent on, actually). Even in the video where she has a much older guy in a primary relationship (West Coast), it's completely ambivalent what the emotional valence is with regard to her happiness in that relationship. Sure the old guy survives in WC (and the young guy dies), but the interpretation is basically up to you whether she is happier in the surviving relationship (although being engulfed in flames would suggest not, imo). Ditto for SOC (where's she's visibly happier, but arguably a ghost).

I'd like to re-iterate that what @ implies (for me) is that some people *claim* to be influenced by LDR wrt to engaging in Lolita-like behavior, and that they do so just to darken her reputation. So it is unknown (to me) how many real "Darwin Award" posts there are as versus just malicious posts. Also, I don't like that they are termed "Rays" as they could basically just be Trolls, and I don't like sullying the reputation of the AKA album (which I wish she'd re-release) by referring to trolls as "Rays".

I also have a problem with the whole "LDR likes Lolita" situations in her discography/videography (her actual dating history being irrelevant). She is much more ambivalent than people give her credit for. We know there is Put Me in A Movie from AKA which is as much about predation, perhaps; it depends on what kind of spin you want to put on the song. There's the song Cola, whose character says she likes older guys, but there's nothing in the song that suggests she's really that young. The character says "I know your wife and she wouldn't mind" rather suggests she's a peer of the wife. There's the song Lolita, but the female in it "knocks the boys down like dominoes", suggesting she is older than Lolita, the Nabokov character.  The Lolita character in OTTR has a Las Vegas past. LDR's videos are balanced for young and older love interests. Ride is perhaps the most problematic, but it doesn't specifically bear on the Lolita issue too much. It's more about running away and being dependent on *experienced* nomads (the type of nomad you want to be dependent on, actually). Even in the video where she has a much older guy in a primary relationship (West Coast), it's completely ambivalent what the emotional valence is with regard to her happiness in that relationship. Sure the old guy survives in WC (and the young guy dies), but the interpretation is basically up to you whether she is happier in the surviving relationship (although being engulfed in flames would suggest not, imo). Ditto for SOC (where's she's visibly happier, but arguably a ghost).

You are forgetting that one of her most known and often referenced songs is YOUNG and Beautiful.

tumblr_npujt5on451u6osmfo1_500.gif

1. Old Money
  2. Ultraviolence
  3. Flipside
  4. Pretty When You Cry
  5. Brooklyn Baby
  6. Cruel World
  7. Is This Happiness
  8. Money Power Glory
  10. Florida Kilos
  11. Sad Girl
  12. The Other Woman

1. Shades of Cool
  2. Guns and Roses
  3. Black Beauty

West Coast is a bop but i kind of agree with you. Although I wouldn't put it so low I do believe that some of these songs are defiantly better but girl, Shades of Cool cannot be that low in the list. Shades is my bop :sluttybunny:

lilkimxchapelle.png

Also, I do agree that in a way, it is natural to want to be similar to those you admire and look up to, but there is still a thing called having your OWN personality, mindset and views. It's fine if you are inspired by Lana in terms of fashion, her music, or maybe even some of her own beliefs, therefore you try to replicate some of those aspects, but trying to be exactly like her IS a problem. No one is going to be 100% like anyone else, so trying to live exactly like Lana and act exactly as she does is just ridiculous and completely unrealistic. If someone's goal is to be just like Lana, they're just setting themselves up for failure. They're never going to succeed. I think it's more important to own your own personality and live your own life!! Don't try to be a carbon copy of someone else...

The other problem is that young girls are living out Lana's comment regarding her attraction to older men. This is dangerous particularly for underage girls who are potentially fantasising about what could end up being abusive, illegal relationships. I don't think it's Lana's fault that some girls have adopted this attitude (I feel like that comment she made was more casual and perhaps a part of her persona, and let's be real, she hasn't dated a guy older than her for years, so she obviously doesn't even live by that statement anyway), but it is important we don't allow young girls like this to continue making comments like, "I want to date a much older man and be JUST like Lana!!!" We need to educate them, firstly, that they should never enter a relationship with an adult while they are still a child. It's dangerous and illegal, and if they ever end up engaging in intimate relationships, the man will be charged with rape/pedophilia, because they are underage.

On another note, I think when Lana was talking about following in the footsteps of your idols by finding out what they did, then doing the same, I think it was more so in relation to achieving the same career as them/getting to a similar point in life as them. I highly doubt she would encourage young girls to be just like her. She's saying, take aspects of the person you admire, and apply some of them to your own life, but don't dispose of your own unique personality just to take on someone else's.

Agree but I've always believed that it should be kids' parents' jobs to talk to them about celebrities and how the lifestyles they portray aren't real. Way too often the celebrity is blamed but really its not up to them to parent the young kids that like their music. This is for any and every person in the entertainment industry.

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

Agree but I've always believed that it should be kids' parents' jobs to talk to them about celebrities and how the lifestyles they portray aren't real. Way too often the celebrity is blamed but really its not up to them to parent the young kids that like their music. This is for any and every person in the entertainment industry.

Do parents still want to parent nowadays though?

I thought they want to leave that to school

You are forgetting that one of her most known and often referenced songs is YOUNG and Beautiful.

tumblr_npujt5on451u6osmfo1_500.gif

Without the context of the Great Gatsby, I suppose the song could be about a "cougar" relationship (the guy younger). Or it could be about a relationship between equal-aged people and a reference to that (bad) American (?) joke: "When my wife turns 50, I think I'll trade her in for two 25 yr olds". But ageism is not Lolita-ism, per se, and there is nothing intrinsically certain about YAB in its lyrics to suggest an older guy is who she's singing about. 

Anyway, maybe this upcoming event will give us more info on LDR's perspective on the Ride video:

I agree 100%. As I stated in my post, "I don't think it's Lana's fault that some girls have adopted this attitude (I feel like that comment she made was more casual and perhaps a part of her persona, and let's be real, she hasn't dated a guy older than her for years, so she obviously doesn't even live by that statement anyway)"

Although I think parents should be the ones teaching this to their kids, I think it's also important we, as a community, educate them if we see a 12 year-old, for example, saying things like "I want to date an older man!!" 

I'm also unsure why young kids would even be listening to Lana to start with. Like, melodically and stylistically, most of her music doesn't even appeal to that demographic... plus, the themes in her music would really have no relevance to young kids/they wouldn't be able to comprehend the topics (abusive relationships, love, sex, money, fame, death, loss, suicide, etc.)

I guess I have a big unpopular opinion :creep:

but I think she only shows the "Lana Del Rey" and not her "Lizzy Grant" side.

When I hear her songs or see her there's nothing really personal in her songs.

I think it's only "Lana" who sings the songs and writes them and not "Lizzy".

Mfhp.gif

i havent listened to BTD (minus National Anthem) mor Patadise in almost 2 years. not really an unpopular opinion just an unpopular act. im still lost in a trance to the beauty of UV and im beginning to warm up to HM

@@Cacciatore

I have thought the same thing...(granted, I am older, but) her music and her musical being (all of it) directly talks to me, and the music I have heard for decades and decades.

All the references she uses, I have known the artists for years, I have seen most of them in concert over the years

Roy Orbison, Nina Simone, The Velvet Underground then Lou Reed, Bowie, Leonard Cohen,  etc.

(even Julee Cruise doing an entire full concert of Lynch years ago)

I think her being for the abused, the outcasts, the yearnings, the ill, the everyperson, is one reason younger fans flock.

I believe her recorded work is specific to Lana Del Rey and the message she herself wants delivered

and the bonus songs, and are never meant to be part of the album (but that does not make them inferior either, just specific bonus).

I also think ALL of her covers are for a reason...it is something in each that she wants people to hear
I think that is one reason there is no bonus stuff with Honeymoon. 100% on message, this is what she wants

the dear listener to take home with them.

and her vision has been there for a while- even Marilyn and Elvis were both abused, and both the media abused each of them

(Elton's Candle in the Wind was just about that topic "All the papers had to say was that Marilyn was found in the nude").

Right before Honeymoon, a cryptic picture showed up on her Instagram  I think, that showed her with wrinkles.

That was showcasing she was dropping out of the younger years, and she had grown up to become a mature woman with mature views.

And she is directly challenging her fans to either "beat it baby" or love her when she is no longer young and beautiful.

To love and support her AS SHE IS, now and in the future, when the future is now

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

I agree, myself being a boy (a gay one but a boy still) Lana fan since the age of 12-13 have thought and fantasized about being with older man because of Lana, the way she talks about it in her songs makes me thinks I want to spend them nights (spending them for men I may like, like you, like you :creep: ) like that, and whenever I feel attracted to someone I would rather search them older, like checking for teens around me feels dumb because you think of dating (as in the date older guys!! mindset lana has kinda let me in to) older guys is more exciting, in the sense that they're more experienced in life and stuff :creep: . Even if it's just on the internet,  like calling certain users daddies because of their age makes me think in a sexual way about them :creep: (this is all for the sake of the conversation, don't hate me y'all this is serious).

And it's just not that, it's the wish to be part of an abussive relationship (at least in my case) I've been tended to just prefer the bad ones, because Lana has made me think of it being ok with her songs :facepalm: and the whole submissive persona, I kinda developed that too, I remember there was a time where I would just led my friends (kinda like bromances, you know? when it touches the gay but it's not completly gay so the ones in the deeper closet don't feel pressed about their sexuality?) take the lead in everything when we hang out or just being the one people came to when they just want to play. Like, the whole Ride monologue just setted me up like that for like a year lmao. Mess. 

Now I'm just trying to emulate the femme fatale grace, the sass of it all, like the vibes you get from 4 K P. 2, Smarty, You Can Be The Boss etc. But like yeah, at some point Lana's music sholdn't be listened at such a young age, like, it's too innocence losting? :lel: I wish I was educated about stuff being going in to the Lana sphere :deadbanana: 

I hope some of y'all identify at some point with this and this doesn't turn out to be the most messy unpopular Lana opinion ever (if it at least does I hope to get nominated for the lipster awards fot the Delet It Fat category xoxo :whatever: ) :lel: 

tumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo1_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo2_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo4_250.gif