ilovetati

Honeymoon - Pre-Release and Discussion Thread

that sounds like froot to be honest...

it would be interesting though

now that you mention it you're rightt!! cant help being so in love with froot tbh.. but lana and disco and spaceships wouldnt be so bad

now that you mention it you're rightt!! cant help being so in love with froot tbh.. but lana and disco and spaceships wouldnt be so bad

Yeah I thought more people would make that connection... For me, Froot was the first thing that came to mind when I read "futureretro"!

Maybe cause it's recent

Ultraviolence is going to be remembered as one of the ten greatest albums of the 10's.

And it was #1, went Gold and she didn't sell her soul to do it.

And without promo, she was on just about every critics Top 10 of the year list. She won over Dan who really put her down. She won over most of the people who bad mouthed her.

And like Sinatra sang  She did it HER way.

The entire music industry knows her and is intrigued by her, and eventually people are going to get #1s singing her songs, even if she doesn't get the airplay herself (and is it even needed?

For what???

The awards will come, possibly as songwriter first, possible in a small movie short or possibly even in spoken word album. Possibly on soundtracks.

Ultraviolence should have won Album of the year and Record of the year. But who really cares about awards anyhow? Most don't remember 10 minutes later who won an award last year.

(Quick-who won best supporting actress or best record at the AMA's?

One thing I would love to see her do is sing a one-off with a full orchestra, perhaps film it for a Fathom event, or just to release a live DVD of it (and then it could go to PBS type stations.

Like I said in a different thread, if Lana did what others wanted her to do, but not what she wanted to do, she would not be Lana. She would be everyone else.

Wonder though if perhaps she will be an opening week guest of Steve Colbert. I doubt she will ever do anything with NBC again morning or night, but Colbert is on CBS starting in September.

But do you really see Lana putting up with the crap of appearing on Kelly and Michael's show? Or getting asked demeaning questions of the same old same old? I wouldn't want to

have to respond to that crap.

The music speaks for itself. All those that are copying her prove it (including Taylor Swift and Lorde and Sam Smith and how Miley seems to be in awe of her too.) Everyone wants a piece of her,

and she stands alone in not doing what others insist, but in what she wants (like the biggest music stars ever always did- like Dylan, like the Dead, like Leonard Cohen.

Now if one really wants radio play, a Christmas duet with Leonard Cohen and every year from Halloween to  New Years, Lana would be heard with that Christmas song coast to coast on American radio (as so many stations now go 24/7 Christmas for all of December, and part of November (and some start right after Halloween, where they could start off with Once upon a dream.

btw- Dylan was on Letterman second to last night as a favor to Dave,but, it was his first late night appearance in what ,20 years.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

LOL, nice to think positive.. but Lana is not an iconic star from the 50's or 60's..or anytime..

Many Many people could care less about UV. LOL.. people sure like to color things up alot..

having mentioned all this, i like some of the songs from UV as much as some from BTD and are in my 

all time favorite songs ever.

i feel like UV sounds like an album that was actually made way back then, BTD doesnt really sound vintage besides a few songs like Video Games and Summertime Sadness

Let the music speak for itself.

Because an album is so much more fun when there are no music videos or performances on TV/Radio.

I'll never get people like you. Promo isn't just something you do for sales, it's also something which delivers a lot of cool stuff to your fanbase.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Lolita, Blue Velvet and The Other Woman are the only songs (released) that Sounds from the past to me. The others doesn't really hear like the '80s or '60s

Mfhp.gif

Because an album is so much more fun when there are no music videos or performances on TV/Radio.

I'll never get people like you. Promo isn't just something you do for sales, it's also something which delivers a lot of cool stuff to your fanbase.

I'd love music videos or a cute performance on a TV show, but only if she does it for artistic purposes. I'm not here for her begging her ass off for people to buy her album. It seems tacky and desperate. Lana is a reserved and introverted person, promo is not her thing.

I read somewhere that she gained A LOT more fan from the release of UV, which is similar to how indie music industry works - good music, more fans.

But the popularity that we are talking about here is the 'viral' one - which Video Games/BTD helped. Hence more promotion needed to help maintain that fame - similar to what Beyonce and Taylor Swift did. Hence all those sorts of big-budget videos and singles during BTD.

But the question here is: can one repeat that? or does Lana/Interscope even want that to happen again? That goes in line with what Interscope did because if they thought Lana can they would have forced more promotion for Paradise or UV - but guess what, they didn't.

The level of 'famous-ness' Lana is now is still able to maintain her popularity / have fans for at least the next few years. She is still way more popular than many indie artists with equally good music. And Interscope still give her more promotion - prime example here: Endless Summer tour with bigger venue than the last tours.

But to be honest, all I care about is her good music. And if she keeps making more good music, that's all I'm here for. And many people are probably have the same view to me.

And if by losing fans means losing 12yo teenage girls who hate UV cos it's a snoozefest then no one needs that kind of fans.

Ok, this is sort of random and possibly irrelevant, but I was reading one of Lana's interviews from the UV era and what I've pasted below reminded me of Lana's description of "futureretro" for Honeymoon:

She's had some weird dreams lately. 
"Modern dreams, dreaming in modern times. Really strange. I had a dream that I was waiting for someone to find me, and in the sky, where the stars were supposed to be, it was an Uber map. And I was watching this person get further and further away from me, where the constellations were supposed to be. And I woke up totally confused. "

This may have absolutely nothing to do with Honeymoon at all, but it's interesting considering HoneyMOON and she's talking about space here. Also, she described Honeymoon as "futureretro" and these dreams are set in the future.

I'm probably reaching here, but just thought I'd share.

I'd love music videos or a cute performance on a TV show, but only if she does it for artistic purposes. I'm not here for her begging her ass off for people to buy her album. It seems tacky and desperate. Lana is a reserved and introverted person, promo is not her thing.

A performance is a performance. of course she doesn't need to wear a BUY MY ALBUM shirt but I think the thing she pulled of with UV was disrespectful towards the fans.

A performance is a performance. of course she doesn't need to wear a BUY MY ALBUM shirt but I think the thing she pulled of with UV was disrespectful towards the fans.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

I'm happy with the level of fame Lana has now and the weird middle ground she's in of being not fully indie or mainstream. The thing is she sells as many albums and can fill up huge venues like really mainstream artists with a ton of radio hits. So for now, the label lets her get away with not doing promo since all they care about is money. I think it would be nice for her to have another top ten hit like Summertime Sadness, but I don't ever want her to be the type of artist who's constantly being played on the radio like Katy Perry. Lana already hates fame as it is, so I don't think it would be good for her to become massive. And fame changes artists.

I would like her to have another Rolling Stone cover, a Billboard cover, and an online campaign to create buzz around her videos and songs. I guess one TV performance or interview would be nice, but I can't think of any show where Lana wouldn't look out of place.

Ok, this is sort of random and possibly irrelevant, but I was reading one of Lana's interviews from the UV era and what I've pasted below reminded me of Lana's description of "futureretro" for Honeymoon:

"Modern dreams, dreaming in modern times. Really strange. I had a dream that I was waiting for someone to find me, and in the sky, where the stars were supposed to be, it was an Uber map. And I was watching this person get further and further away from me, where the constellations were supposed to be. And I woke up totally confused. "

This may have absolutely nothing to do with Honeymoon at all, but it's interesting considering HoneyMOON and she's talking about space here. Also, she described Honeymoon as "futureretro" and these dreams are set in the future.

That'd look cool in a video

perfect princess superstar maha maha hawaiian space surf revival!

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

I know Lana hasn't said anything like this herself, but I really wouldn't be surprised if this album was full of her exploring that "hawaiian" sound she likes so much.  I would look to the intro of the tour for a cue about maybe what this album would sound like. Perhaps thats what she means by a return to BTD/Paradise-- that it will be her exploring the beach/surf rock sound more. She once described Cola as a surf rock song (??). But yeah, I heard the intro of the tour and immediately thought "This must be what Honeymoon sounds like." And obviously the title lends itself gloriously to this kind of music.