ilovetati

Honeymoon - Pre-Release and Discussion Thread

I know right, sick and tired of those kind of fans lol She's mainstream. It seems like they keep forgetting about that. 

mm we will see about that.

she is mainstream?

I thought she is a sadcore singer :(

Mfhp.gif

she is mainstream?

I thought she is a sadcore singer :(

Lana is mainstream, yes. "Sadcore" is just a sub-genre of music. For example, you can have a mainstream rap artist. The genre of music they perform and create is rap, but they are mainstream (chart success, widely known, played on radio, big record-label, etc).

fullsizeoutput-3494.png

Well, we never agree on these things, like EVER.

Behind promo, people always assume some Gaga or Katy kind of promo. Lana didn't even do that for BTD, but when she tries, it works.

I will never understand these people that simply fail to realise that you can not sustain as a recording artist without catering for the masses. The days where people bought music from an artist no matter what are long, long gone.

And just like it was previously stated: Lana is not a one woman show. She relies on co-writers and producers to make her music shine. Therefor, promo is a nessecary evil.

I think she has a "image" or a sound that she is used to.

It wouldn't be early good for her when she sings Pop Songs or Happy Songs.

The Fans or GP are used to her sad music and her sad lyrics.

Mfhp.gif

Lana has true talent for songwriting but does need a team of producers and some co-writers. Without the continued support of her label, she can't continue releasing good music.

I guess this might be true when it comes to high budget videos but for songs I don’t think is necessarily true. Even an A-list songwriter like Nowels works with a lot of indie acts (Lykke Li worked with him on her last two albums and she doesn't have the same success as Lana for example). Emile confirmed when he started recording with Lana he didn't even had a budget. So even if she goes totally independent It’s totally possible for her to continue releasing good music

The fact that Lana chose who she worked with since the beginning and only work with them because they make good music together means that she probably doesn't care that much about mainstream-ity(?). e.g. Dan Heath used to only work on film score and adverts but then started writing songs with Lana, the drastic change of UV ft. Dan Auerbach.

Also the line between indie/mainstream is blurred now. Lana is only mainstream because of that viral song 'Video Games' and (maybe) belongs in Interscope, if she didn't have that her music would have been considered indie. And indie bands work with different people as well - it isn't the case that they only work as a collective anymore. (Thanks for the Lykke Li's example @@whitman)

----

Lana seems to get on well with the key people in Interscope / Universal / Polydor despite being mainstream labels so I don't think she would change to indie (or don't care about indie-mainstream stigma). Maybe being lazy at promoting is what Interscope planned and have been doing?

Well, we never agree on these things, like EVER.

Behind promo, people always assume some Gaga or Katy kind of promo. Lana didn't even do that for BTD, but when she tries, it works.

I will never understand these people that simply fail to realise that you can not sustain as a recording artist without catering for the masses. The days where people bought music from an artist no matter what are long, long gone.

And just like it was previously stated: Lana is not a one woman show. She relies on co-writers and producers to make her music shine. Therefor, promo is a nessecary evil.

You have a very one-dimensional view of what it means to be an artist, and it's sad.

I guess this might be true when it comes to high budget videos but for songs I don’t think is necessarily true. Even an A-list songwriter like Nowels works with a lot of indie acts (Lykke Li worked with him on her last two albums and she doesn't have the same success as Lana for example). Emile confirmed when he started recording with Lana he didn't even had a budget. So even if she goes totally independent It’s totally possible for her to continue releasing good music

it is possible, but it's hardly a good scenario for her or for fans. She won't be able to easily access an orchestra or other producers. Without the support of a label, Lana won't be able to do promo even if she wanted to. Losing her label/ not having a record label would probably kill her career and her relevance.

You have a very one-dimensional view of what it means to be an artist, and it's sad.

What do *you* think it means to be an artist?

fullsizeoutput-3494.png

I think we need to remember that Lana apparently was sick during the UV era. It's possible that she would've done more promo if she hadn't been sick. Also I think she used UV as way of coping with her depression and stuff and that might explain why she moved away from it so quickly.

Anyways I really hope she'll do more promo this era, I don't expect her to do Taylor Swift level promotion, but the promotion she did during the Paradise era was enough for me. A few radio- and television performances and interviews and some really great music videos is all I'm asking for. If people don't think being a Lana fan was more exciting during the BTD/paradise era they are lying!

And the people who are calling television performances 'whoring out' need to stop. Even Tom Waits did television- and radio performances for his last album! If you want people to buy your album you need to do promo, simple as that.

That being said I have trust in Lana. She seems happier than I've seen her for a long time and this tour have been amazing so far! She's never done a bad album and I'm sure HM will be great too! Don't Le Me Be Misunderstood is one of my favorite songs of all time and I think that MTWBT sounds like a really interesting concept! I think that Life Is Beautiful sounds really beautiful and I hope it'll be on the album since it fits the theme of the HM lyrics. I'm also really excited for Mark Ronson as a producer.

I AM MY ONLY GOD

I don't think so. I am just realistic to admit that Lana is not able to release the material without help from others It's not a shame though. Almost nobody can, but to keep your material up to a quality standard and continue to have that standard, you need to work hard to get it heard. 

The music business is a business after all. 

I don't see how this is even a debate lmao like how are some of y'all fine with lazy ass promo

Because "She is an icon! Her art is so above everyone else that she doesn't need to promote it."

Or, "We don't want her to become mainstream because people who listen to Top40 shit will listen to her and devalue my own listening experience"

Or, "We don't want her to literally whore herself out by going on television. I mean, only manufactured shit do televised performances, right?"

Or, "She said she releases music for herself and doesn't want other people to listen to it! She doesn't want fame! Fame is for disgusting mainstream pop artists like Beyonce and Rihanna!"

fullsizeoutput-3494.png

Yes, Lana could go indie, but I think that would be an extremely short-lived success. Can we talk about how it's basically necessary for artists like Lana to do promo and what not to sustain a career in general? If she just shits out albums with little to no support in terms of promo, videos, etc, she's not going to have the stable means to continue making music. And then what? You'll cry how she should've done more promo  :hooker:

If she just shits out albums with little to no support in terms of promo, videos, etc, she's not going to have the stable means to continue making music. And then what? You'll cry how she should've done more promo  :hooker:

this. this so much.

RVhKIwP.gif

tbh, I don't really care about promo.

Like the music will stay the same music even if she will get 1# all over the world.

The only 1 important thing is how *YOU* feel when listening to the music, you don't have to care about *OTHER* people who are listening to it.

Promo does not change the way music is.

That's why the promo isn't that important for me.

giphy.gif

tbh, I don't really care about promo.

Like the music will stay the same music even if she will get 1# all over the world.

The only 1 important thing is how *YOU* feel when listening to the music, you don't have to care about *OTHER* people who are listening to it.

Promo does not change the way music is.

That's why the promo isn't that important for me.

I dont care about others, i care about what she can do with her music apart from releasing the album. I dont care if she charts, i care if she performs because i like to see if she does the songs justice live and the performances give the songs better longevity for me to keep enjoying the era for more time.

Because "She is an icon! Her art is so above everyone else that she doesn't need to promote it."

Or, "We don't want her to become mainstream because people who listen to Top40 shit will listen to her and devalue my own listening experience"

Or, "We don't want her to literally whore herself out by going on television. I mean, only manufactured shit do televised performances, right?"

Or, "She said she releases music for herself and doesn't want other people to listen to it! She doesn't want fame! Fame is for disgusting mainstream pop artists like Beyonce and Rihanna!"

drag lmaoooo

UV got old really quick because she did nothing with the album apart from releasing it.

and when you watch her perform songs like Shades Of Cool, Brooklyn Baby and Ultraviolence, they get a breeze of new life all of a sudden, right? Cause you see her up there, performing and having a good time with it.