ilovetati

Honeymoon - Pre-Release and Discussion Thread

I think it's hilarious that people are so concerned about her being lazy with album promotion, but barely ever complain about how lazy a live performer she is for 20,000 people paying to see her every night. I couldn't care less if she forgoes tv and radio promotion -- I just wish she put more effort into her shows that people are paying good money to see.

What you're talking about? You're referencing her past tours or the Endless Summer tour? From what I saw in videos her show improved: the stage is beautiful, her voice is on point, she has a longer set.

eww what do you want her to have?? back up dancers?? new stage costumes every 2 songs?? please no, thats not lana. i feel like her performances are fine they just need a little more confidence, but she has grown so stop complaining!

Dancers no. But backup singers would be nice mainly to ditch those annoying backup tracks with her registered voice and have the full live experience

No, I want her to put on a performance that lasts more than 13 or 14 songs -- something those back-up dancer/costume change artists that you make fun of have managed to figure out. When you see Lana, you hardly get your money's worth, at least compared to every other major headlining artist in her genre. It's pretty sad that even fucking Lorde (who has one album and has been out like a year) plays longer shows than a multi-platinum, multi-album star like Lana. She's pretty lazy when it comes to her performances, and pointing that out is a perfectly legit "complaint."

Well, I didn't see your response. The ES tour has a better show, it's not perfect but from what I read about her tour most of the people like it.

In her case I think there is a problem of stamina and probably you'll not see 2 hours plus concerts from Lana.

Secondly, I think that she doesn't see herself as an entertainer, she approaches her concerts more as meetings with her fans and she feels that her true fans are linked more profoundly to her than the usual expectancy of a good show from a casual concert goer. She really loves her fans but I don't think that she cares to much about the casual concert goers. LDR concerts are not for them. She's not here to entertain you no matter what. That's why she's not coming for an encore and she isn't chitchatting with the audience. Lana fans feel a connection with her without requiring her to express it to often. You watch her face, beaming with emotion when others, who don't understand her, don't see nothing. You watch her awkward little dances on the stage and all the insecurities she express in her music makes sense. If you don't feel that don't bother to spend you're precious money on her concerts

I have nothing against her getting into TV and radio promo more. She sort of does promo every tour with all those fan-delivered youtube concert excerpts, some of which are decent quality. However, she is shy, or whatever, and at times and avoids promo. If she is creating new music during those shy times (which she apparently was for HM), I'm fine with that.

However, my main point is going to be about how well UV is doing without the promo. We usually compare it with BTD record sales, but what about streaming, which I think of as a kind of user-directed radio. On spotify you can mouse over a track and get its stream counts. If you do this for UV and BTD albums (I used the ones with bonus tracks, but *excluded* Paradise as another release) and count them up (approximately by tallying the integer millions part for each album track in a spread sheet) what do they look like? 

For UV 189 million, but for born to die 641. But you really need to divide BTD's by 2 because it's been around at least twice as long (that's conservative), so it's really: 189 vs 320.5.

You might say there's still a sizeable difference but when you consider UV's lack of promotion (although I really think there was some), it's still a pretty impressive showing. UV is being *heard*,  and it compares well with other critical successes (e.g., compare UV to Beck's Morning Phase or St. Vincent most recent album, is 61 and 28 million respectively). So I think if HM only does just as well as UV, that will be a pretty significant accomplishment (of course, better is better, but don't sell UV too short).

A Poem for Lanaboards

y'all are so funny.

You want her to be indie, but you want big budget videos. 

You want her to stay out of the media, but you want a pop album.

I don't know.

No but seriously...

Y'all know this isn't how the industry works, right? She doesn't get to be a hermit writing only for herself and damning chart/sales success and then also get Interscope to bankroll all of her projects (music, music videos, etc). You guys understand that above all else Interscope is a record label aka A CORPORATION that sees it's artist as investments.  They are only going to dump money into artists that are churning out projects with big return potential. If Lana isn't doing promo, isn't making a pop album, isn't interested in success-- Interscope is not going to keep shelling out money for her to make videos, to record albums, etc. 

The one thing I would love to see is a full orchestra and strings.
Half the songs she has has strings, but it takes a really big stage to make it sound right. (Perhaps a one off at the Metropolitan Opera House or Radio City Music Hall.)

In the overseas tour, she had strings on some early dates.

The problem is, on record, Lana overdubs her own vocals, and then the haters say why can't she do that onstage.

Brian Wilson and John Lennon quit concerts and part of the reason was they could not recreate it on stage (in the Beatles case, the audience, much like Lana's) was so loud singing along and screaming that they couldn't even hear themselves sing. And John Lennon famously threw up every time he had to go onstage. (Carly Simon too)

Best concert I ever saw in my life was Elvis Costello's first show at the Bottom Line club in NYC...he played for an hour and it was one song after another, all short songs.

Saw him many times after, including a 4 hour show...that show, I couldn't wait to get out of there. My ass hurt and my legs hurt from standing and sitting.

Harry Chapin gave long concerts. Some went 3 hours. And after the first 90 minutes, Harry was hoarse. I think Harry taught Bruce about long shows.

I think if Lana did 4 hour shows, some here would complain that it wasn't 6 hours or 8 hours.

It's not the length, it's what you do with it when you do it. Always leave them wanting more is the old Hollywood cliche'. Never have them want to leave before you are done.

BTW- if she played twice the length, what would happen is there would be 15 minute guitar solos in every other song. You wouldn't be getting more vocals.

But a full classical orchestra, a choir, strings and Lana.

Elton John did that on a few tours. I was lucky enough to see two shows in a few weeks- one in Wembley England, one at Radio City with full orchestra and choir.

The one in England had a white choir. The one in NYC had a black choir. Two best show of his I ever saw (and I have seen him about 40 times since 1973.)

He was able to recreate his first 3 albums that in the past he never could do it right.

That is what it would take. But paying for about 100 extra people on stage, and the logistics, make it hard to do a full tour like that, even if they use a local orchestra and choirs.

And that would take a really large stage. And that would probably mean the tickets would start at $250 a piece and go up from there (before scalpers).

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

It's extremely expensive to have a full string orchestra/choir set up going with you on tour. Money Interscope will not spend on Lana. She seems more comfortable with her band anyhow so why fix something that isn't broken in the first place...

Apart from a few hiccups The Endless Summer Tour as gone really well in a number of aspects. The stage design is beautiful,the band plays brilliantly,the set list has changed for the better and most importantly Lana is beginning to a confident performer. Her vocals are consistently on point though out the tour so far and she so happy bless her...

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

I think it's hilarious that people are so concerned about her being lazy with album promotion, but barely ever complain about how lazy a live performer she is for 20,000 people paying to see her every night.  I couldn't care less if she forgoes tv and radio promotion -- I just wish she put more effort into her shows that people are paying good money to see.

Her type of music is the the type you can't really perform.

Imagine her running around the stage being high energy while she's singing Ultraviolence. It just doesn't fit.

Her type of music is the the type you can't really perform.

Imagine her running around the stage being high energy while she's singing Ultraviolence. It just doesn't fit.

she should employ a older man to chase her round the stage and attempt to hit her while she sings. it would be so visually and thematically gorgeous #shittyconcertideas :hooker:

fullsizeoutput-3494.png

side note: i was listening to starry eyed and the west coast acoustic radio mix and i could see honeymoon sounding like the two mixed

also, music isnt too expensive to make. the lofi lana is the best anyhow. she'll always have a computer and a song in her heart and her stuff will always leak until the internet crashes. so stahp this fighting about promo. she has plenty of money and time to make music. shes already a popular artist.

i am the queen of the universe. the waves part, and they engulf me, and the water is warm.   

https://onlineparades.bandcamp.com/album/sure-jan

i wish she would do more radio shows because those isolated live recordings are sometimes better than the album versions 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_85hcBq6NE

but it seems even less likely than a TV performance now that she's ridiculously famous. radio promo is typically reserved for lesser known artists, i would think? i'm currently trying to imagine west coast and/or pretty when you cry in that minimalized, studio-type setting and i want to die 

:sadcore3:

HOLY SHIT. I actually didn't even know this existed. I have a playlist of all her live radio performances and this is absolutely a GEM. I didn't know this even happened. Are there any other Paradise songs she did this with (besides Ride).

Does anyone else have a playlist of her live radio performances who could help me out?!

This thread is a mess. I don't understand why all of you waste your time talking about what she should or shouldn't do. Obviously she'll do whatever she wants. Can't say that I don't care but if promo makes her uncomfortable I'll be okay. 

With Honeymoon I hope for sound. I felt UV was lacking enough of the background sounds that BTD had. UV was slow even with the more "upbeat" songs. If she choose to go the bloozy route I hope its more million dollar man and not the nina simone covers that she does.

I feel like UV relied on her voice a little more than BTD, it had beats and orchestra like even Young and Beautiful seemed to go faster than the UV album. I loooved UV, but I hope she sticks to her plans on going back to a BTD sound.

In the end I'm fine with whatever she does, because I'm bound to like some of it.

When she said that it was going to be colorful, I couldnt help but picture more upbeat songs, I'm not talking pop, but I did picture at least dark paradise.

Well, I didn't see your response. The ES tour has a better show, it's not perfect but from what I read about her tour most of the people like it.

In her case I think there is a problem of stamina and probably you'll not see 2 hours plus concerts from Lana.

Secondly, I think that she doesn't see herself as an entertainer, she approaches her concerts more as meetings with her fans and she feels that her true fans are linked more profoundly to her than the usual expectancy of a good show from a casual concert goer. She really loves her fans but I don't think that she cares to much about the casual concert goers. LDR concerts are not for them. She's not here to entertain you no matter what. That's why she's not coming for an encore and she isn't chitchatting with the audience. Lana fans feel a connection with her without requiring her to express it to often. You watch her face, beaming with emotion when others, who don't understand her, don't see nothing. You watch her awkward little dances on the stage and all the insecurities she express in her music makes sense. If you don't feel that don't bother to spend you're precious money on her concerts

i couldnt have said better my self gurl