Deleted User

Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth criticizes Lana in memoir

OK after a few more days and some new bad talk from Kim, I am now convinced-

Kim herself is the protagonist in the song "Old Money" but in her case, Kim is looking back at a time she remembers when she had it all, she thought, but it all went bad. Kim had success on a cult level, her band one of the most critically acclaimed in history.

And she had a happy family life.

Now, she is moaning that she would run run run if it came calling again, and in Lana, Kim sees herself and is jealous that Lana now has it all, and Kim lost it by becoming bitter and not moving forward.

If Kim were AUTHENTIC in her thoughts, she would mentor Lana to be what ever it is she claims is "inauthentic". And show her the ropes...could it be that Kim and kim's humor meant Kim and Sonic Youth were just pulling one over on everybody?

Ask yourself-

why is she bullying Lana, yet never mentions any of the 30 other talented female out there that are all the same in the last 30 years- from Mariah to Celine to Whitney to all of those that sound the same and one can't recall who sings what.

Yes all of those singers are talented, but none are unique. They are each other, all pining to be the next the last was, up to and including today's Miley, today's Rihanna, Beyoncé, etc.

Why do people never question the "authenticity" of any other female singer, NOR at any time any male singer or band? Sheesh, it seems the term was invented specifically by the haters of Lana and just a bullying word.

Lana is unique. Kim was unique.  The thing too is, Lana though not trying for hits, has had more hits than Sonic Youth did. 

It seems Kim though feels no one loves her now that she is not "young and beautiful".

I guarantee people will love Lana when Lana is 61. And Lana won't need a book to get publicity off of, as Lana will still be producing movies, music, tv,  and whatever is in 30-35 years the current media like a Paul McCartney or Brian Wilson or Aretha Franklin

who don't look back, but keep moving forward.

Invite Kim to a concert and do a duet.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

That's part of what I love about Lana. She really doesn't try for the hits. She doesn't pick the most radio friendly tracks as singles (imagine if Radio, Without You, Cola, or Florila Kilos hit radio) and she hardly promotors them on any US TV. I think she's by far the least inauthentic when it comes to pop singers.

I found this hoe's book at Urban Outfitters today and took a photo but my phone decided not to save the photo for whatever reason  :judgingu:

It doesn't want pictures of this rag in its system. You have a very smart phone.

I love Sonic Youth but i have just lost all respect for Kim, used to think she was badass, but now? bitter old woman that wants to sell her crappy book through throwing shit at a new artist (and old ones too), she should feel ashamed.

And why does everyone think that adoring men and singing about love and missing/wanting back a man you loved to death is bad/''anti-feminist''? as long as it doesn't become something you depend on/a necessity, we're humans after all, we're vulnerable, we're social beings, without tenderness you'd shoot yourself, being in isolation can lead to insanity and we all depend on eachother, as i said, we're social beings and it's natural most of us long for company or get attached too much to somebody, we ain't no robots.

And never really understood this... media necessity and obligation that as a female you HAVE TO BE A FEMINIST if you want equality and care for your rights, like, ''you aren't a feminist? you don't care for equality!!11!! you don't care for world peace and you are a horrible person!!111! you should kill yourself!!!'' . I want equality, but i find the feminist movement to be a toxic one, so i don't associate with it, but if you wanna be part of it, to each their own, be it. But if you act like this, lashing out at someone just because ''doesn't know what feminism is/ doesn't spend her career singing/talking about it'', you're just doing more harm to your movement rather than good, making it toxic and going exactly agaisnt of what you supposedly stand for.

Kim is talented, she certainly has her place as legend on the music industry deserved, but what a shitty person she is for writing such things, with no empathy at all, towards other talented artists such as Lana and Courtney, who are pretty much vulnerable to the media and have been torn apart by them and have been known for their personal problems and behaviour during interviews, way to go, picking the easiest targets to get promo for your crappy book and trying to use your status to get away with it.

It's okay Lana, you have your legion of lanas bananas

Those summer nights seem long ago
And so is the girl you used to call
The queen of New York City

This woman knows literally nothing about feminism... 

Are you fucking kidding me? She is literally one of the most iconic women to ever exist in alt. rock history.

Fuck y'all and this thread. If anyone attacks Lana, reasonably or not, you all act like little pussies and throw around trash statements that are far from true. 

Are you fucking kidding me? She is literally one of the most iconic women to ever exist in alt. rock history.

Fuck y'all and this thread. If anyone attacks Lana, reasonably or not, you all act like little pussies and throw around trash statements that are far from true. 

yummm, yes because a grown woman telling another one to kill herself is classy

i know where you are coming from but Kim took it too far and then acted as if nothing happened by removing the Lana part from her book..this was the most sadistic publicity stunt 

Fuck am I ever sick of seeing Kim's name in my Lana google news feed...

Lana and Courtney are low hanging fruit in the media's eyes, and it speaks volumes that Kim would attack them... especially by saying Lana should off herself. How is this any different than online bullying that everyone's so hot to campaign about right now? What message is she conveying with her actions?

Kim should have picked on someone her own size, but instead she went for the easiest targets... What a woman.  :wtf:

her top kind of says a lot about her (as i suspected, basic and evolutionary) perspective 

465339934-397x600.jpg

the problem isn't the way that she feels about lana -- its not uncommon. its the way she used that bitterness to her advantage (at another person's expense)

this whole thing is tacky as fuck 

ZRBNill.jpg

her top kind of says a lot about her (as i suspected, basic and evolutionary) perspective 

465339934-397x600.jpg

the problem isn't the way that she feels about lana -- its not uncommon. its the way she used that bitterness to her advantage (at another person's expense)

this whole thing is tacky as fuck 

OMG when I saw this on one of the articles I thought it was a picture of Tom Petty at first... Yikes. 

FADER - June/July 2014

Her portrayal of those relationships, though, has prompted mixed reviews among feminists. Some criticize the way she seems to idealize powerlessness and servitude, while others appreciate her fluid embodiment of different identities, as well as her candor about both her desire and her weakness. In any case, her comments on the subject will be disappointing for both camps:

“For me, the issue of feminism is just not an interesting concept,” she says.  “I’m more interested in, you know, SpaceX and Tesla, what’s going to happen with our intergalactic possibilities. Whenever people bring up feminism, I’m like, god. I’m just not really that interested.”

Fortunately, her ambivalence about politics doesn’t undo any subversiveness that may be embedded in her work (though, nor does it excuse any ill it may cause). When pressed, she adds, more illuminatingly,

“My idea of a true feminist is a woman who feels free enough to do whatever she wants.”

THE NEW YORK TIMES - June 12, 2014

A recurring criticism was that her songs about being swept away by love were anti-feminist in their passivity; she contends that she was writing about private, immediate feelings, not setting out doctrine.

“For me, a true feminist is someone who is a woman who does exactly what she wants,” she said. “If my choice is to, I don’t know, be with a lot of men, or if I enjoy a really physical relationship, I don’t think that’s necessarily being anti-feminist. For me the argument of feminism never really should have come into the picture. Because I don’t know too much about the history of feminism, and so I’m not really a relevant person to bring into the conversation. Everything I was writing was so autobiographical, it could really only be a personal analysis.”

During her Ultraviolence promotional interviews, Lana Del Rey was attacked by the media for not being a feminist, which relied heavily on the soundbite “Whenever people bring up feminism, I’m like, god. I’m just not really that interested.”

How is this an admission of not being a feminist?  Is the lack of interest in discussing feminism tantamount to not being a feminist?  Further when you add in both the statements from Fader and New York Times, it is clear that Lana does have a sense of what feminism is to her:  “My idea of a true feminist is a woman who feels free enough to do whatever she wants.”  &  “For me, a true feminist is someone who is a woman who does exactly what she wants,”

Aren’t these sentiments that Lana describes the basis of feminism?

She further clarifies that “Because I don’t know too much about the history of feminism, and so I’m not really a relevant person to bring into the conversation.”

Furthermore, multiple statements from people who have worked with Lana (Dan Auerbach, Emile Haynie, Rick Nowels,  Dan Heath) all talk about how much control she exerts over her creative and production process.

While Lana may be a reluctant figure of feminism, where does all this hate from the feminist community come from?  (Jezebel, Ms., Kim Gordon, etc.)

It's a simple idea. If you're not 100% on board with 3rd wave feminism/social justice warrior-ey agenda, than you re the enemy. Doesn't matter if you're Lana Del Rey or a man. Submit or else.

It is 2015 and I still don't get why people and the media always pick on Lana?

Besides releasing music, she is obviously trying as hard as possible to stay away from the spotlight right now. You can just tell how burnt Lana must be from her rise to fame. Comments like this are uncalled for.

And The Kim Drama and Shade continues -

On the subject of complex, modern-day feminist icons, she throws rocks at Courtney Love in the book (“manipulative, egomaniacal”, “mentally ill”) and has some caustic words for Lana Del Rey – a paragraph she says her editor has since softened.

“I mean, is that a persona?” she says today, referencing comments Del Rey made last year about wishing to be dead. “Is that really her, or is she just waving self-destruction like a flag; as a way of marketing herself?” The idea of young musicians romanticising death is predictably offensive to Gordon given the loss of her friend and Sonic Youth tourmate Kurt Cobain.

http://www.nme.com/features/kim-gordon-interview-sonic-youth-legend-on-her-revealing-memoir-lana-del-rey-and-extreme-noise-clean?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371