Jack

Melanie Martinez

i've only listened once but i don't hate it?? it's got some bops and the transitions didn't bother me too much. standouts for me after the first listen are def TV, Spider Web, and the Contortionist

9ISvyf0.gif

My favorites are faerie soiree and tunnel vision. Death, the contortionist and spider web are also very up there. I love the new guitar in faerie soiree. It needs to be loud n high qual for the whole experience 

the transitions are fine in a first listen but imo they really hurt replayability. they should've just been made interludes tbh, idk what Melanie was thinking. but it's fine I just edited them out and made them separate anyways so it works

overall I really like Portals I'd give it an 8/10

favs: Death, Void, Tunnel Vision, Light Shower (this is my #1 song idk why you guys hate it), The Contortionist

Spider Web could've been amazing with a different chorus the verses are so good idk why they ruined the song like that lol

After a few hours of sitting with Portals, I don't see myself returning to it beyond the occasional listen of 1-2 tracks. I tried to give it as many chances as I could (listening through it a few different times on different headphones) but I just can't get behind the way they've handled not only the production but the mixing and mastering. A lot of tracks feel both like they've been overworked but also unfinished (the worst of this being Void). Songs I loved the demos of like Tunnel Vision and Faerie Soiree seem over-sterilized in a way that removes much of their charm, while Leeches had so much added to it only to remove a lot of what I loved about the session in the final mixing process. There's also the transitions, which remove a lot of the replay value songs like The Contortionist otherwise would've had. I had hope for this project after hearing she had worked with a few different people during the sessions, but ultimately what was released was another sole-producer project that, in my opinion, is on par with the quality of K-12 despite there being so many career-best tracks within the Portals sessions. 

On 3/27/2023 at 7:13 PM, Coloringbooks said:

I think some people are more bitter about their leaked favs not making it than they are about the quality of the actual album 

More relevant than ever :lel:

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕