NamiraWilhelm

What Are You Reading?

On 5/25/2023 at 7:20 AM, Mer said:

Over the weekend I read My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh. Not very deep, but quite a fun, quirky read. It definitely tries to be deeper than it really is, but if you ignore the pretension of its themes, it can be enjoyable.  

I read Eileen  by that same writer. It was definitely a fun read.

Not as good as what Gillian Flynn is doing, though in the same frame of mind somehow.

Last month I decided to start reading more classics. So far, I’ve finished Jane eyre, wuthering heights and the scarlet letter. Oddly enough, I don’t remember reading almost any known classics in school. I feel somewhat uncultured in that sense. I’m sure there’s been a plethora of times where I’ve witnessed a reference of some kind and didn’t catch on. I really want to change that and expand my reading history 

13 minutes ago, TropicoKitten said:

Last month I decided to start reading more classics. So far, I’ve finished Jane eyre, wuthering heights and the scarlet letter. Oddly enough, I don’t remember reading almost any known classics in school. I feel somewhat uncultured in that sense. I’m sure there’s been a plethora of times where I’ve witnessed a reference of some kind and didn’t catch on. I really want to change that and expand my reading history 

Classics are probably my favourite genre (I'm totally boring like that!) 
If you feel up to it, Russian classics are absolutely supreme. There's some shorter ones before diving into the long ones, too, like The Death of Ivan Ilyich which is a fantastic philosophical type of classic. I also love Thomas Hardy and don't hear him mentioned nearly enough! 

The cicadas in the sunset are your guide

On 1/11/2024 at 6:19 PM, TropicoKitten said:

wuthering heights is heaven! 

just started Ursula Parrot’s novel Ex-Wife

aOaIzH2.gif

On 2/3/2024 at 5:05 AM, dollanganger said:

reading all of the anne of green gables books and just finished ingleside (#6). its getting rough yall😭

Anne is one of my all-time favourite book characters and Anne and Gilbert are one of my favourite book couples. The series is probably my go-to comfort read 

The cicadas in the sunset are your guide

45 minutes ago, The Sun Also Rises said:

Anne is one of my all-time favourite book characters and Anne and Gilbert are one of my favourite book couples. The series is probably my go-to comfort read 

its been a sweet little series except for some points

Spoiler

me when the random animal abuse racism etc:nene:

but idrc about their children or how anne just doesnt feel like anne anymore..and now im on rainbow valley which is almost entirely about some random guy's kids??? what is her problem