Radiohead Sues Lana for Copyright Infringement on "Get Free"

Does Radiohead have a case here? I think they do. I don't think it's even that close of a call. Especially in the context of Lana's history of subconscious plagiarism. (That said, outcomes are notoriously unpredictable and seemingly inconsistent in this area of law.)

But 100%? That's just fucking greedy. I mean, if Sam Smith only had to give up 12.5% to Tom Petty... And the hypocrisy (given their own plagiarism on the song) is staggering. If true, the 40% Lana offered was generous. I hope the judge or jury gives them less than that.

Will be curious though to see how many LB users' comments Radiohead's lawyers use that noted this similarity when it was released. :teehee:

Also, :smh: @ Lana fans who cheered Robin Thicke getting sued for "Blurred Lines" because they (understandably) hate Robin Thicke. Precedents can be a bitch.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

@cult_leader  Lana gave credit to Nino Rota for use in Old Money

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

So weird to look back at this and watch it now. Could that have been why she was being so coy and dragging her feet about performing the song. Was she waiting for the okay in her ear piece. I noticed her toying with it. Lol it was funny when she was like, “how does it sound or go.” She knew lol!

Now that you've pointed out... It's like she was waiting for some green light or something.

It's truly sad now tho.

I'm not as pissed as I were a few hours ago. I hope they lose the case. 

If someone could sue here would be The Hollies because they won the cause against Radiohead but idk.

I hope they lose and they get dragged even more

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

Now that you've pointed out... It's like she was waiting for some green light or something.

It's truly sad now tho.

I'm not as pissed as I were a few hours ago. I hope they lose the case. 

If someone could sue here would be The Hollies because they won the cause against Radiohead but idk.

I hope they lose and they get dragged even more

Yeah I agree. I've always loved Radiohead but this is so fucking tasteless! I hope they get what they deserve, nothing. Lana was overly generous to offer them 40%! I hope their greed ends up screwing them in the end honestly.

Yeah I agree. I've always loved Radiohead but this is so fucking tasteless! I hope they get what they deserve, nothing. Lana was overly generous to offer them 40%! I hope their greed ends up screwing them in the end honestly.

Exactly. It really saddens me to see this happen with her. I love her with all my heart and she's such an angel and now this.

They don't deserve 1% since their song was already sued. I don't see them winning but I'm not sure what will happen.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Radiohead but I loved Creep a long time ago. I hope their greed screws them as well. 

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

Radiohead hasn't been relevant for years. They are just trying for publicity. I've listened to both songs and while they are similar the idea that Lana plagiarized is baseless. The songs are two completely different songs. They are not the same song and the chord procession while similar is not the same. 

At one of her 2017 shows, post haircut. I remember she had the diamond choker & the black shirt/blue jeans n was sitting down

^

at 0:56

It was at the terminal 5 show. Day 1.

Everyone around me almost died when queen Elizabeth spilled it on us. I will never forget that moment

So weird to look back at this and watch it now. Could that have been why she was being so coy and dragging her feet about performing the song. Was she waiting for the okay in her ear piece. I noticed her toying with it. Lol it was funny when she was like, “how does it sound or go.” She knew lol!

Sorry to quote you all, but I wanted to say thank you guys! I had never seen this, what a cute performance. I love how the audience were singing the "out of the black!" and "into the blue!" ad libs lol.

I don't understand what grounds are Radiohead calling for them to claim 100% of a song and refuse all settlement even though it means going to court. Because like other people said in this thread they don't have much going for them, they even got sued for the same song and lost. I understand that there's a similarity in the chord progression but I thought that Lana and her team being American (and from a major label) had it covered somehow. 

I know RH comes off bad and greedy in this narrative but I'm really not looking forward having hateful old men and prissy hipsters comment on lana videos, and I don't think Lana has taken it lightly. Even if RH gets a small percentage of credit they will benefit from the increase in stream and interest which is bothersome theoretically but what is worse they have managed to attach bitterness to a song that was about looking for an alternative to darkness and dared to be hopeful. 

THIS

This pisses me off because it comes off as extremely petty. But also, we will never get a Music Video and performances of it live in an official capacity may not happen. On top of that, what I have bolded. It clearly meant a lot to Lana when she wrote it and I imagine being accused of copying another song when you have an honest emotion you want to express must feel so besides the point and spiteful. It sours the message a little bit for me, imagine it for Lana.

There are similarities between Get Free and Creep. That's undeniable. However I believe legally the point is to determine how many significant similarities exist in order for it to constitute copyright infringement. Asking for 100% and trying to charge that is very bold to me, considering RH's own background with the song.

However, with Blurred Line's messy trial (letting a jury decide if something was copyright infringement or not instead of relying on more objective measurements and the expertise of people with musical backgrounds) who the fuck knows. They could have no case (the similarities that I note are - while noticeable - not majorly important and not numerous throughout the entire song. It's quite limited. On top of the background of this song already having been sued successfully in the past - so RH doesn't have full ownership in the first place) OR they could win through some fucked up expansion of coverage in cases liike these, and again, it would just be for publicity. I have trouble believing that the members of Radiohead themselves actually think Lana stole their ideas or even musical elements. Similar is not identical. I think people have an image of Radiohead as being people that care about the freedom of art. I do not know them that well, but if this is true, how they are behaving now seems incredibly petty and gutsy at the same time.

~~~

I'm not claiming to be an expert, though I am going to school to eventually become a musicologist  :creep:

Sorry to quote you all, but I wanted to say thank you guys! I had never seen this, what a cute performance. I love how the audience were singing the "out of the black!" and "into the blue!" ad libs lol.

Now imagine that on her world tour as the closer or an encore, the fans being her backing vocals for her as she sings a song about hopeful change and good tidings but no fuckstick mcgee's at radiohead decided to ruin a gorgeous song

Mv2P2gJ.gif