Radiohead Sues Lana for Copyright Infringement on "Get Free"

Now imagine that on her world tour as the closer or an encore, the fans being her backing vocals for her as she sings a song about hopeful change and good tidings but no fuckstick mcgee's at radiohead decided to ruin a gorgeous song

Mv2P2gJ.gif

thank you for reviving this gif

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

i wouldnt say “nobody blinked an eye”. lana’s team eventually had to buy the rights to the original melody from the Romeo and Juliet film

Oh oops. I was more speaking at the fact that not many people know about that sample but thanks for that

She likely can use it, but if they win it would mean she'd have to pay them royalties for every time she sang it live. I like to imagine she's too petty to allow that so she's not going to sing it. I can get behind that. Sing Heroin instead.

Having slept on this, I think that of course no-one, even lana, isn't above not being sued - ever; but Lana was gracious enough to give  up to 40% which is above being generous and they still didn't respect her goodwill. But I do think, and hope, this is a case of Lawyers being Lawyers. I read somewhere that copyright laws in the US are structured in a way that if you don't defend your property at all times, no matter how inconsequential, then you lose the rights to defend it when the owner finds it fit to do so (or maybe you just weaken your case, I'm not knowledgeable about cr laws, ..). So maybe after all it's only RH's label who is behind it and not the band itself, and RH decided to just let them do and control the situation. 

So I do hope we can tone down the RH vs Lana stan war, not because it reflects badly on us but because Lana doesn't need to receive hate from another fanbase, thankfully it seems minimal for now. 

EDIT: I'm happy Lana still retains her resolutions/sentiments about the song :) It was a noble gesture to let the fans know, she knows we care 

What she said about it tonight at the concert (more or less because I was typing as she was speaking and may have missed a few words here & there):

"You know, I didn't know if I was going to mention anything about today.... but, i think i will since it was a little bit in the news today. I just want to say that I do have a particular song that Radiohead wants 100% of my publishing for. And actually, the only reason why I mention it is because I wanted to let you know -- I know some of you have been sort of brought here by, you know, the people who really are fans and you're just sort of there and whatever -- but for the fans, I just want to let you know that, you know, regardless of what happens in court, the sentiment that I wrote in that particular song, which was my statement song for the record, my personal manifesto, my modern manifesto. I just want to let you know regardless if it gets taken down off of everything, that those sentiments that I wrote and that I really am still going to strive for them, even if that song is not on the future physical releases of the record. I mention that now because that song in particular as well as this other song I'm going to sing now - well, it's half of it because it's in a medley - but this other song called Change is another song that was an important songs to me. & um yeah, I just wanted to let you know that for the Kids for and the Not Kids, who are real fans that are here. So, that's probably the last thing I'll say about it, but thanks."

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

Having slept on this, I think that of course no-one, even lana, isn't above not being sued - ever; but Lana was gracious enough to give up to 40% which is above being generous and they still didn't respect her goodwill. But I do think, and hope, this is a case of Lawyers being Lawyers. I read somewhere that copyright laws in the US are structured in a way that if you don't defend your property at all times, no matter how inconsequential, then you lose the rights to defend it when the owner finds it fit to do so (or maybe you just weaken your case, I'm not knowledgeable about cr laws, ..). So maybe after all it's only RH's label who is behind it and not the band itself, and RH decided to just let them do and control the situation.

So I do hope we can tone down the RH vs Lana stan war, not because it reflects badly on us but because Lana doesn't need to receive hate from another fanbase, thankfully it seems minimal for now.

That's not for copyright but for trademarks I think. Like McDonald's suing when ppl reee to smth as a mcwhatever when it's not theirs or smth

Nvmd Radiohead wanting 100% is like that one time madonna got sued for using horns in vogue

i76mrxw.png 

That's not for copyright but for trademarks I think. Like McDonald's suing when ppl reee to smth as a mcwhatever when it's not theirs or smth

Nvmd Radiohead wanting 100% is like that one time madonna got sued for using horns in vogue

I don't know exactly, could be.  (But I did read it was about CR, on an article about G rr Martin and his criticism of fanfiction and its copyright infringement )

OK so I like Radiohead, but I am so fucking pissed about this I am seeing red. I've studied music theory (it's been a long time though) and this 100% writing credit shit is just preposterous. I'm attempting to analyze the sheet music for both but unfortunately there's none for Get Free yet so I'm breaking down the chords and am going to try to make my own sheet music for it, maybe try to transpose it. They're in different keys (Creep is G Major, Get Free is B flat), and while some notes are similar, it ain't 100 fucking percent. The rhythm of the vocal line melodies is also discrepant. 

TL;DR Radiohead can fuck off  :lanahairflip2:

if Radiohead does win and decides to take Get Free off of the physical releases, i hope Lana might just add an outtake like RBFY or Yosemite to the end to make up for it or something.

tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo4_250.gif   tumblr_otaqmarVHa1u9dqtjo3_400.gif  tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo7_250.gif

this is so weird and messy, every radiohead fan knows that the band hates creep. They hate the whole pablo honey album. It's so fucking odd that there suing an artist for making a song that kinda sorta sounds like creep. Creep is a direct rip off of The Hollies on top of all that. Also I guarantee there are plenty of songs that sound like just like creep. There are band after band copying radiohead to the tea, but yet they choose to sue a top selling alt-pop artist. 

a445bbab9c0cf8bc.png

OK so I like Radiohead, but I am so fucking pissed about this I am seeing red. I've studied music theory (it's been a long time though) and this 100% writing credit shit is just preposterous. I'm attempting to analyze the sheet music for both but unfortunately there's none for Get Free yet so I'm breaking down the chords and am going to try to make my own sheet music for it, maybe try to transpose it. They're in different keys (Creep is G Major, Get Free is B flat), and while some notes are similar, it ain't 100 fucking percent. The rhythm of the vocal line melodies is also discrepant. 

Can't wait. We just want the fucking proof.

I literally thought this exact thing but without the music terminology because I DON'T study music theory. lol