Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

her image and sound are much more mature and grounded now, so is her brand

What “brand”? She doesn’t have a brand at present and hasn’t for years. She’s just sort of there, an uneasy public figure who often looks awkward in the spotlight.

Unlike the LDR of 2012, who appeared like a master of reality, like a truly poised, seductive, sophisticated woman of international scope and style, a sort of sleek, superior and commanding goddess.

Alright hennies, upon learning there are only 2 poems in Vogue Italia, I’ve decided to depart into a self-induced coma. Will someone kindly wake me up when there is solid news? I’d appreciate it tons – I wish you all a lovely week, you beautiful souls.

I hope Miss Lana enjoys the last couple of days with her friends, the teletubbies.

I took matters into my own hands & rewrote some of “Cinnamon” to better fit our situation.

You tried to push us out but we just find our way back in

You shoved violets up our ass

To keep us out - you win

There’s things I wanna say to you - but you don’t give a fuck.

Like if you just communicate your thoughts, we’ll stop biting on your cock

There’s things we wanna talk about - but you’re busy sippin matcha

What is it gonna take for you

To mention the fucking album

Ahhhyaaaah ahh aAaAaAa

Hold me, love me, fuck me, suck me, be the first who ever did

Goodbye sexies

:hooker:

Truly ethereal, and it’s a huge pain in the ass

What “brand”? She doesn’t have a brand at present and hasn’t for years. She’s just sort of there, an uneasy public figure who often looks awkward in the spotlight.

Unlike the LDR of 2012, who appeared like a master of reality, like a truly poised, seductive, sophisticated woman of international scope and style, a sort of sleek, superior and commanding goddess.

it's not like i don't agree with you a little bit, it's just that she made it very clear she wants to follow a lowkey approach to this whole celebrity thing. living her life like she did in 2012-2013 can really drain a person and she must have realized it's not for her to do for a long time. i guess she wanted to be more respected as a musician and get a core cult following instead of millions of fans. i think it matters more to her to be this vulnerable, honest, raw person accepted by the loyal fans she has and not this LDR persona anymore. she started to get taken seriously by a lot of people including the critics after she dropped that whole image but anyway it's been 6 years, there's nothing but accepting that and moving on. 

The thing is: people who listen to Lana Del Rey like to give off a cool image, especially people who are not really her fans but "pretend" to like her music to come off as a hipster, indie, cool kind of person. It's the truth, the majority of people who listen to her are like that and if you don't believe me just see a picture of the crowd at her concerts. And now Lana is... just not cool. She's not that bad girl who parties at Chateu Mormont with tons of older men, goes to fashion shows wearing all leather and sings about being in the land of gods and monsters. Right now she's just a white female who goes to the church, parties with her other white friends, drinks green tea and sings about going to the beach. She's just bland.

Compare her to Britney Spears, for example: on instagram, Britney posts videos of her working out, pictures of her children's doodles, doodles SHE paints herself and those motivation images grannys find on google. But her audience knows she's like that and her audience kinda connects with her that way. Lana, on the other hand, appeals to a very hip cool young crowd and recently she's just not it. If "real" fans are already dropping her imagine how casual fans must feel lol.

I promise this is the first and last long post I make on this thread  :toofunny: don't wanna get too invested like some of y'all.

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes 

it's not like i don't agree with you a little bit, it's just that she made it very clear she wants to follow a lowkey approach to this whole celebrity thing. living her life like she did in 2012-2013 can really drain a person and she must have realized it's not for her to do for a long time. i guess she wanted to be more respected as a musician and get a core cult following instead of millions of fans. i think it matters more to her to be this vulnerable, honest, raw person accepted by the loyal fans she has and not this LDR persona anymore. she started to get taken seriously by a lot of people including the critics after she dropped that whole image but anyway it's been 6 years, there's nothing but accepting that and moving on.

Then we’re pretty much in agreement. I also think she doesn’t want much of a celebrity life anymore and has slowly but surely been dismantling her past image and presenting us instead with a “this is just me, flawed and human like you” sort of thing.

Sadly, however, at least for me, her music hasn’t gotten significantly better. The BTD title track, VG, ‘Blue Jeans,’ ‘Radio,’ ‘National Anthem,’ ‘Summertime Sadness,’ ‘Ride,’ ‘Cola,’ ‘American,’ Yayo,’ ‘Bel Air’ and Gods & Monsters’ remain among her best and most accomplished and definitive songs in my opinion.

For me, compared to those tracks, much of UV and HM are ho-hum.

I am interested to see where she’s going with the new record, but again, rhe PC-ism concerns me, and the mawkish sentimentalism of HTD too.

It's strange that she was so desperate for fame in the Lizzy days, didn't like it once she got it, and now has such a deeply resentful relationship. I think she does have a kind of brand but it's changing a lot. She's always had that kind of outsider-looking-in arty poetic aura about her that it's strange that when she gets the chance to publish it they're about iPhones and tesla cars :/ 

locals only

It's strange that she was so desperate for fame in the Lizzy days, didn't like it once she got it, and now has such a deeply resentful relationship. I think she does have a kind of brand but it's changing a lot. She's always had that kind of outsider-looking-in arty poetic aura about her that it's strange that when she gets the chance to publish it they're about iPhones and tesla cars :/

For me, poetry is a very definite thing, it’s structured and powerful, like a spell or incantation, in the tradition of the British Romantic poets, from William Blake on.

LDR seems to instead be following the tradition that stems from Walt Whitman—her Daddy—which is often very loose and formless, or almost formless. That style became dominant in the 1950s, and remains so, because ‘anyone can do it.’ Today, virtually anything called “poetry” by the author, any author, is deemed to be so, and it’s considered an outrage to say it is not.

'Top of the year' is admittedly vague but the top of the year means the start, e.g. January-March. Here's a link to a translator's website who wanted to clarify the meaning: https://www.translatorscafe.com/tcterms/en-US/question.aspx?id=34435     She went onto her old twitter and answered someone who asked when it'll be out with 'who knows.' We're not misunderstanding anything.

Tbh I genuinely think this era could have been amazing in a lowkey way. Yeah she attracts the cool-kid listeners but the cool kids are wearing glossier makeup instead of brighter brands and are getting into the environment, it's not the same as it used to be and this $1 poetry stuff could have been good and fit with that aesthetic. I get wanting to wait to release it late summer- if that's what she's planning, god willing- but still. To reiterate, no, we're not mad just because she hasn't released it. She could have waited until summer 2022 to drop it, if she didn't say it would have been the top of 2019. My favourite band are off doing independent projects and the fans know we won't get another album until 2021 at the earliest. No one's mad because fans, even discussion board invested fans, want quality over quantity when they fall in love with a quality artist. If they'd announced that a new album was done, ready for release in a few months, and then just never mentioned it again and sent photos posted on their instagrams to music magazines and gave absolutely no indication of when they intended to drop it, then people would get mad. And rightly so. Artists shouldn't be expected to cater to their fans' every whim, but shouldn't jerk them around either. It's a two way street and miss del rey has closed one of the lanes for the foreseeable future.

I really think she meant the last months of the year because she allways knew she wanted the poetry book to come out first, and that would take time. In march she said it will take her 6 months. And thats why she released those singles as promo singles and not a lead. Maybe in 3 moths we will have news about the album once the book I released

I really think she meant the last months of the year because she allways knew she wanted the poetry book to come out first, and that would take time. In march she said it will take her 6 months. And thats why she released those singles as promo singles and not a lead. Maybe in 3 moths we will have news about the album once the book I released

Then she should have either made a definite statement about the album’s release—“it won’t be out for a full year”—or not mentioned it at all.

For me, poetry is a very definite thing, it’s structured and powerful, like a spell or incantation, in the tradition of the British Romantic poets, from William Blake on. LDR seems to instead be following the tradition that stems from Walt Whitman—her Daddy—which is often very loose and formless, or almost formless. That style became dominant in the 1950s, and remains so, because ‘anyone can do it.’ Today, virtually anything called “poetry” by the author, any author, is deemed to be so, and it’s considered an outrage to say it is not.

Yeah it's really weird, I can definitely vibe with a looser definition of poetry, my poetry rarely follows a rigid thing, but for me poetry has to sound good above all else. It's so strange to me that some of the poems she's posted is tricky to say and just kind of... flimsy, seeing as she's a songwriter and should know how to make words sound good. 

She started posting about the book much later. I imagine the date for the album was changed. Her tweet about not knowing when it comes out bothers me. Fans shouldn't have to try and decipher what she really truly means when she could just shoot out a tweet and put it all to rest, but I promise that this mess wasn't part of some plan.

locals only

i saw someone claim that distributors were refusing to stock the album because of the explicitness of the title - idk if it's a reliable source or what the precedent for that kind of thing is but i guess it's possible

Not true. He confirmed this weekend on Twitter that there’s no problem with the name. She is running the show and release of NFr

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/04/obsessed-fan-plotted-kidnap-us-singer-lana-del-rey/

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/02/lana-del-rey-breaks-down-into-tears-in-atlanta-following-thwarted-kidnapping-attempt/

https://www.tmz.com/2015/12/04/lana-del-rey-cars-stolen-house/

https://nylon.com/articles/lana-del-rey-home-break-in

https://metro.co.uk/2018/04/18/lana-del-rey-attacked-gig-fan-jumps-leaves-stage-7476818/

She probably didn't expect such rabid fans  :derpna2:

Honestly I don't care if she wants to mature and keep out of the spotlight, but she could at least write about interesting things instead of some cinnamon being stuck in her teeth.

And to be very honest, her older 'image' was a lot more mature than it is now. It's like she's trying to cling to youth by going to cha cha matcha (which as of right now seems to be 'trendy' on the ol' gram).

Her 'brand' as of late seems like a desperate attempt to appeal to 14-20 year old Californian white girls. And no, I'm not saying she can't drink matcha tea but like I said, it seems very 'trendy' these days to do so. It's like that time when everyone was obsessed with overpriced acai bowls.

I might as well stan Halsey and Meghan Trainor at this point. 

I'm aware I sound cranky but I'm going through it and I'm letting my depression interfere with my social media prescenes, sorry

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

I doubt she wants to retire, she sounded really excited about NFR, she is just completely out of touch on fan communication and use of social media, something her manager(s?) should tell her but won't because she'd probably throw a tantrum and threaten another 9-minute single. She should just say SOMETHING if not for us then for all the other people that are getting their profiles spammed by all the clowns. 

Okay I’m going to play dev*l’s advocate for like the 10th time here, what if she had to wait for the Sublime doc to premiere in order to release Doin Time (obvi), and she had to wait to release NFR until she released Doin Time bc Interscope wants the promo but then additionally SHE wants to release the poetry book before NFR but then she had to wait until Vogue was ready to release her poetry feature/ cover bc once again interscope wanted exposure for the book. If these theories are correct, then after tomorrow when the magazine is released lana has to has to HAS TO do something???

tumblr_mg4bvnA8GI1qg6f6do1_500.gif

found this on twitter

i dunno if its makeup but her top lip looks very big in the bottom right

NN4Jnjc.jpg

I saw it and I think they edited it

...just you and me feeling the heat even when the sun goes down...