Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

What if she decides to release the double MV on August 30 and we get HIaB next week?!?
(of all the snippets heard, that one is exciting me the least because we heard so much of it. It'll probably change when I hear it in full though)

I thought that too, but the song structure (as we know it goes)

First verse: John met me down at the boulevard . . . 

then

Second verse: Jim met me down at the training yard . . .

The album sample we have starts at the end of the first verse, where we hear the beat is already there, and then goes into the second. So I don't think so.  :noparty:

Plus, we haven't heard the whole thing yet but it sounds like HIAB and Hope are the only 'piano' ballads now . . ?

Oh very good point :P 

578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

Hey.

Just was thinking about the lyrics on NFR, and noticed that some of them may rise again a huge cultural controversy surrounding Lana.

I'm thinking specifically about HIAB ones... "If he's a serial killer then what's the worst that could happen to a girl who was already hurt?"

How do y'all think critics and social movements will receive this kind of messages since we -fortunately- are right now in a world-wide explosion of reivindications towards women rights?

Thank you Rorman for reminding me of that iconic WM intro she did. I for one do hope it is in Bartender somewhere...and if not then I will have a breakdown due to my own unrealistic expectations I have set for myself. 

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Hey.

Just was thinking about the lyrics on NFR, and noticed that some of them may rise again a huge cultural controversy surrounding Lana.

I'm thinking specifically about HIAB ones... "If he's a serial killer then what's the worst that could happen to a girl who was already hurt?"

How do y'all think critics and social movements will receive this kind of messages since we -fortunately- are right now in a world-wide explosion of reivindications towards women rights?

nvm i obviously dont get lyrics lol

I have to think those lyrics must be ironic because they make no sense taken literally. What's the worst that can happen?! That he murders you?? use your head lana. But she kinda doubles down on it in the next line so maybe not 

"If he's as bad as they say then I guess I'm cursed

looking into his eyes i guess he's already hurt"

I am going to SPECULATE that:

Serial killer = serial heartbreaker

Either that or it's like passive suicide ideation.

Or both.

Ye, don't misunderstand me. I get it's a metaphore of fearing to enter a relationship with someone who's risky to be with in terms of emotional/affective stability or whatever. I don't think Lana is talking about a real "serial killer", obviously.

What I find problematic is the language and the figures she finds "suitable" to refer to human relationship topics. It's a form of symbolic power which she's actually a victim of. I've always felt bad for her whenever discussing her love affairs on her music, because the tendence is always to elaborate on them from a very violent and submissive perspective -maybe Ultraviolence is the album where she shows that more explicitly-. Anyway, just thinking and sharing with you.