Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,019 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

it's a beautiful and aching song at the same time, so perfect for winter.

That's so true. Hope is such a winter song for me too. You have to listen to Hope on a nightwalk while it snows and everything is frozen. It fits the feeling of the song a lot

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

so is the "triple music video" canned?

I think Lana forgot the music video or is to lazy to upload it. But it's strange none of her fans asked her about the music video even Lana said it would be out by end of october. After Lana said that she would make a video for cherry back in 2017/18 at least  some fans asked her about the music video.

And Norman Fucking Rockwell is nominated for Song of the Year and NFR! is nominated for Album of the Year, so it actually would be a good time to upload the tripple music video

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

If there was a playlist for leaving a club without your friends early because you just weren't vibing and you want to walk in the cold for a bit before calling your uber to gather your thoughts, it should just be Hope over and over. Maybe Happiness too.

locals only

so is the "triple music video" canned? 

My feeling is that Lana and team were planning on doing the 3 video release when they still thought NFR would be a more low key release.  When it started getting so much good press, and Grammy buzz, I get the feeling Lana and her team we're like "let's just ride this wave, and not rock the boat by putting out these low budget iphone vids."  Just a hunch.

26vMNDz.gif

If we’re just gonna argue about Lana vaping (which imo is fine by me as long as she eventually gets off nicotine all together) I’m legit gonna disappear til next era this is so exhausting

quite bold of you to assume there will be a next era

If there was a playlist for leaving a club without your friends early because you just weren't vibing and you want to walk in the cold for a bit before calling your uber to gather your thoughts, it should just be Hope over and over. Maybe Happiness too.

whew i understand this feeling a lot

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

quite bold of you to assume there will be a next era

Does NFR actually count as an era though? I mean do lack of specific visuals (I mean besides the double video) like iPhone videos with a Super 8 filter shot by Chuck and ugly pop art font count as aesthetics?  :smh:

Also, today I learned that Jared writes for Stereogum, wow. Good for you hunny, glad you got a job!  :party:

But in the hands of Del Rey and her co-producer Jack Antonoff, America’s cultural, spiritual, and moral bankruptcy sounds like a million bucks. Specifically, it sounds like a million bucks circa 1970, so in 2019, adjusting for inflation, that’d be around six million. Even more specifically, it sounds like a languid Laurel Canyon fever dream, lightly psychedelic folk-rock ballads that got lost on their way to Dennis Wilson’s favorite bar at 4AM and sat down at a piano bench instead. Her voice has never sounded better, and her devastating, allusion-dense lyrics have never been more quotable. With Norman Fucking Rockwell!, Lana Del Rey just might have written the next best American record she’s so obsessed with after all. ‘Cause she knew she could. ‘Cause she’s just that good.

giphy.gif

Does NFR actually count as an era though? I mean do lack of specific visuals (I mean besides the double video) like iPhone videos with a Super 8 filter shot by Chuck and ugly pop art font count as aesthetics?  :smh:

Also, today I learned that Jared writes for Stereogum, wow. Good for you hunny, glad you got a job!  :party:

So we are going to discredit an era of NFR with amazing songs, and two to three good videos just cause some unreleased iPhone videos and the use of pop art font do not strike your fancy? Okay, boo. 

nF70D0F.png

But in the hands of Del Rey and her co-producer Jack Antonoff, America’s cultural, spiritual, and moral bankruptcy sounds like a million bucks. Specifically, it sounds like a million bucks circa 1970, so in 2019, adjusting for inflation, that’d be around six million. Even more specifically, it sounds like a languid Laurel Canyon fever dream, lightly psychedelic folk-rock ballads that got lost on their way to Dennis Wilson’s favorite bar at 4AM and sat down at a piano bench instead. Her voice has never sounded better, and her devastating, allusion-dense lyrics have never been more quotable. With Norman Fucking Rockwell!, Lana Del Rey just might have written the next best American record she’s so obsessed with after all. ‘Cause she knew she could. ‘Cause she’s just that good.

So this was clearly written by you. I don't think I've ever read something so delusional about this goddamn album:

1. There are literally no psychedelic elements on this album, unless you count the long and dry "instrumental" outro of Venice Bitch, but that would be more prog rock than anything else.

2. There is not a single rock ballad on the album except The greatest, if that even counts as rock.

3. There are literally no vocal highlights on this album, to say that this is the album on which she sounds best is a farce. It's the album where she sounds the most tamed out of all her records, also the vocal treatment/mastering of this record is a complete and utter mess, it has never sounded more flat, compressed and out of sorts.

4. It's certainly is not her most avant-garde lyrical effort. Especially not with lyrics like "Oh god miss you on my lips, it's me your little Venice bitch", "Fuck it I luuuh ya" or the ever so charming "the culture is lit and I had a ball". 

5. I guess if you don't like Lana Del Rey this is an amazing album, as it's the album on which she sounds less like "Lana Del Rey". 

So we are going to discredit an era of NFR with amazing songs, and two to three good videos just cause some unreleased iPhone videos and the use of pop art font do not strike your fancy? Okay, boo. 

Well no. I'm going to discredit this "era" because of its lack of amazing song, horrible production/mastering approach and weak lyrics, as well as Lana's obvious lack of interest in promoting and performing it. I will also continue to point out critics suddenly turning this lackluster album into a sort of Lana Del Rey-circlejerk, praising it non-stop while still disregarding where Lana actually made points musically (AKA her first three albums). The visuals are secondary, but go off "boo".  :creep:

NFR is a phenomenal album,  but idk I think my love for Lana just gets lost in the translation from who she was and who she is now.

I can appreciate how open and down-to-earth she is now, but I think my original amount of love and adoration stems from the entire enigma she created with the stage name she's drifted so far from molding.

^ Also agree that critics and the GP ate this album UP and praised it so much when in reality, her other albums deserved this kind of acclaim, not NFR.

Lana interviews Grimes for Interview Magazine. Not sure where to post this because it'd take forever for a mod to approve it in the news section, but it's not exactly about Lana anyway.

https://www.interviewmagazine.com/music/grimes-lana-del-rey-brit-marling-miss-anthropocene

GRIMES: He’s about to leave. He will not observe. Are you back from tour?

DEL REY: [Laughs] Yeah, I was touring and then I was in Oklahoma for a hot minute.

GRIMES: Why Oklahoma?

DEL REY: My boyfriend is there, actually.

Sigh. :noparty:

GRIMES: I actually think there was an earthquake yesterday. But earthquakes are fun. All natural disasters are fun in the abstract.

DEL REY: Yes, in the abstract.

I think people who have suffered severly from natural disaster will find it hard to agree to that. Ruined houses from earthquakes aren't fun. Losing family members and friends in tsunamis aren't fun either.

GRIMES. [...]But now, with the internet and all of these different forms of media, we’re entering a new period of customization again where people are able to customize their existence more. I feel like the kids of the millennials are just going to have wild names.

DEL REY: I don’t know which way my kid will go.

GRIMES: Do you have any names in mind?

DEL REY: I think it could go anywhere from a simple Maria Estela to, like, Ivory Cricket. Oh, god. That’s a soundbite.

Interesting.

GRIMES: [...]Speaking of which, would you ever write a book?

DEL REY: It’s funny, people have been asking me that lately. Ever since I started caring a bit less, and, like you said, disregarding ego—which is easy for me, thankfully—I’ve been writing more short stanza poetry. And now that I’ve done that, I was thinking, “Would I ever write something long-form?” I think I would want to, but honestly, I’m so hyperactive in my life. I don’t know if I could complete it, so I think it might be something like chicken scratch, all placed together in some long-form novel.

R.I.P. Violet Bent Backwards Over The Grass :rip:

GRIMES: [...]How do you feel about your workspace?

DEL REY: There definitely has to be an edge. I like to drive around and find a really strange spot to gather my thoughts. But in terms of what I’m writing, in my personal life I have to be really, really happy.

GRIMES: Oh, wow. That’s crazy.

DEL REY: I know, and I feel like people wouldn’t expect that from me. I have to write when all the dust has settled, because I really need things to be calm for me to try and put my finger on what I’m seeing or picturing. It’s hard to write if I’m not feeling stable in my own life, but then I like to mix up where I’m physically at and write somewhere crazy.

GRIMES: Like where?

DEL REY: If I could write in the middle of a crime scene, I probably would.

:O

Edit: What the heck, why won't the quote thingy cooperate with me ;___;

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

"With Norman Fucking Rockwell!, Lana Del Rey just might have written the next best American record she’s so obsessed with after all. ‘Cause she knew she could. ‘Cause she’s just that good." -Stereogum.  The praise just won't stop :defeated: We're living through an artistic peak for our girl.

giphy.gif

I can't believe there's something left in my chest anymore