Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

I honestly wasn't really concerned about the smoking/vaping before, but now I feel like she needs to take control of her vaping because now it's becoming an actual issue, and it's going to impact her professionally. Really saddened me to hear that she was struggling to sing Shades Of Cool. I really hope this can be a wake up call for her. She needs to take care of herself.

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

The Greatest is growing on me, but only because I like the way she sings in the chorus. I don't care much for the meaning, no matter how legendary and modern she thinks it is. It's going to age like milk. 

Yet still it's the only song from the album I feel like listening to sometimes. 

She did struggle with the belting in Shades of Cool in its last performance (or second to last?) this tour.

The thing is Lana has not had stellar performances night after night since The Endless Summer tour, and that is a fact. She's had good performances here and there, but she usually does the bare minimum and it shows (and she sometimes struggles even doing that). She also looks like she couldn't care less to properly hit notes. 

I think she does the bare minimum on nights to preserve her voice... for the future... 

I mean I feel like in 2013-2015 she went all out and gave it her all, and now she only does it at maybe on a whim like at the Hollywood Bowl or Chicago

Not to derail the flow of convo with a dumb question, but what's people's take on the 'gatekeeper carelessly dropping my keys on my nights off' line from Hope? I remember articles kept on referring to it and saying it was meaningful, but I don't get it  :toofloppy:

locals only

Not to derail the flow of convo with a dumb question, but what's people's take on the 'gatekeeper carelessly dropping my keys on my nights off' line from Hope? I remember articles kept on referring to it and saying it was meaningful, but I don't get it  :toofloppy:

So

A gatekeeper is someone who guards an entry, a gate, and decides who gets in and who doesn't. That's their job, their responsibility. Her carefully dropping the keys to said gate as soon as she's off duty means she does not really care for her task, she does not identify with it and only does it when she has to.

Could be a metaphor for living a life you don't want to live, having to do stuff you don't really care for. Lana wants to be a singer and songwriter, but the music business forces her to do all sorts of other stuff she does not want to (e.g. dealing with paparazzis and harsh critics)

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Just some stuff one could argue/suggest...

"

There's a new revolution, a loud evolution that I saw

Born of confusion and quiet collusion of which mostly I've known

<<< feels bad about Trump and not supporting Clinton more>>>

A modern day woman with a weak constitution, 'cause I've got

Monsters still under my bed that I could never fight off

<<< allusions to substance abuse >>>

A gatekeeper carelessly dropping the keys on my nights off

<<< fear of lapses>>>

"

She did struggle with the belting in Shades of Cool in its last performance (or second to last?) this tour.

The thing is Lana has not had stellar performances night after night since The Endless Summer tour, and that is a fact. She's had good performances here and there, but she usually does the bare minimum and it shows (and she sometimes struggles even doing that). She also looks like she couldn't care less to properly hit notes.

Vaping (and smoking before that) has affected her falsetto, not her belts much, so when she feels like she cannot reach a note with falsetto, she belts it instead because it's easier for her. But she's never been a belter so of course she's gonna struggle belting through an entire song (Shades Of Cool). But I have to disagree with you on the fact that she doesn't often have good performances. I think her 2019 performances, along with the last dates of the LATTM tour, are the best she's done since 2015. I often watch her performances and she really goes for the notes.

But in the Endless Summer tour, she was mainly singing UV songs, which mostly have higher notes than the songs she's singing now. But it doesn't mean she doesn't go for the notes nowadays.

I wasn't worried at all for her voice before the vape incident, because she really sounded the best in years and the quality of her voice had improved so much. Lana also drastically improved her technique. But she needs to quit vaping :/

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

This is really nice. BUT. here we have her peak: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGv2aN9ZuYo

Probably I share it too often but it's just her best live performance ever.

Yes babe. But he specifically asked for Cinnamon. ;)

Yes I agree. That Shades of Cool that you shared is one of Lana's best performances.

The best performance.

I watched this one before, it has lovely moments but you can clearly see that blatant lip synching at 2:24-2:28 so that makes me question whether she is singing at all or are we listening to pre-recorded unrefined vocals.

I watched this one before, it has lovely moments but you can clearly see that blatant lip synching at 2:24-2:28 so that makes me question whether she is singing at all or are we listening to pre-recorded unrefined vocals.

There are backing vocals. But shes actually singing it too. You can hear 2 vocals.

It's definitely her singing.

It's strange but I haven't listened to this album since like September and not because I think it's bad or it has a messy production, I just... don't want to. I feel like all the songs on the album are already at least 5 years old (and TNBAR is 50 years old  :teehee:), it aged so fast so drastically. I'm frustrated because I really loved this album when it came out