Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Lana herself makes fun of abuse when she references it in many of her songs (ultraviolence, diet mountain dew, beautiful player) and it's fine.

Lana never made fun of abuse... singing “he hit me and it felt like a kiss” it is not making fun of it, It’s telling an emotion and it’s describing what she was feeling when she was young... cause a lot of people in a relationship get attached to the abusive boyfriend/girlfriend... she is describing it not making fun of it

I read it too and I don't recall anything of that nature crossing my mind. 

Bizarre. Obviously, I'd like to think that we've got it all wrong, but it definitely seems like that's what she's getting at. 

On a much lighter note, absolutely no one will be shocked at her calling her probably-non-existent cover album "Pacific BLUE". 

The quote in question is:

"She is a creature born of trauma, possibly literally, if you take Lizzy Grant's teenage experiences with addiction into account; but certainly aesthetically."

So Powers was insinuating that something had happened to Lana in her childhood to make her and her music the way she is.

What I got from her statement is that she was upset by that claim because a. Her entire identity was equated to childhood abuse b. that insinuation could have an impact on her family and c. she wants to be the one to open up about things she's faced in the past first, not have some journalist suggest it to the world

Maybe she did have a rough time growing up and reading that just really got a gut reaction out of her to react the way she did. I don't think we or anyone, especially a journalist in a published piece, should speculate if Lana was abused as a kid, it's disrespectful.

Lana herself makes fun of abuse when she references it in many of her songs (ultraviolence, diet mountain dew, beautiful player) and it's fine.

she doesn't make fun of it lmao if you think ultraviolence pokes fun at victims of abuse you need a reality check

giphy.gif

Venice Bitch really doesn't seem to age. Last night i got so drunk i ended up running around a random college campus, spinning and rolling around to it on a pitch black field with my headphones at full volume. Was very fun

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Ok. Been over a month since the release. Love the album. But when are we gonna get this recording?.... My heart hurts listening to this. We need this.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoikIXvgXUL/?igshid=1hexsqt86dhun

I really wish Apple would make her version at the Apple event available on Apple Music. They must have recorded it?!?

HTD really gets a lot of hate...

But it's one of the best songs on the record. ..

We have 2 equally beautiful versions.

Its same as Without You. The album version is amazing but the stripped down piano only Live version performed in Amoeba is just as good.

Same with Ride live performances which were a little stripped back. ...

I really wish Apple would make her version at the Apple event available on Apple Music. They must have recorded it?!?

i have it if you want it

giphy.gif

The quote in question is:

"She is a creature born of trauma, possibly literally, if you take Lizzy Grant's teenage experiences with addiction into account; but certainly aesthetically."

So Powers was insinuating that something had happened to Lana in her childhood to make her and her music the way she is.

What I got from her statement is that she was upset by that claim because a. Her entire identity was equated to childhood abuse b. that insinuation could have an impact on her family and c. she wants to be the one to open up about things she's faced in the past first, not have some journalist suggest it to the world

Maybe she did have a rough time growing up and reading that just really got a gut reaction out of her to react the way she did. I don't think we or anyone, especially a journalist in a published piece, should speculate if Lana was abused as a kid, it's disrespectful.

It suddenly all makes sense, thank you.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I feel like it's the Freak/Cherry of NFR. Don't get me wrong, it's a good song, she sounds amazing and I enjoy it but in my opinion it doesn't fit with the rest of the album, sonically. Especially the outro. I'm glad we have it but in the context of the record it feels a little out of place.

Oh interesting. I do know what you mean, except I always love "this type" of song on her album! They end up being my favorites. They are like her ultra sexy songs. I call them her "red songs" because they just give me a red-lounge-late-at-night vibe. I'd be down for a whole album of songs like this.

I actually made a playlist/album of her "red songs" and a few others that fit in:

1. Cherry
  2. Summer Bummer
  3. Music to Watch Boys To
  4. Burning Desire
  5. Yayo
  6. Cinnamon Girl
  7. Freak
  8. Fucked My Way Up to the Top
  9. Pretty When You Cry
  10. Carmen
  11. Lolita
  12. Off to the Races

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.