Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Nfr is in my opinion more acoustic and stripped down. I think HM and L4L are bigger albums in terms of production. Nfr is a very good album and HM and UV are very unique. UV shows her messy depressed state of mind and HM was a ode to escape and isolation (there is a topic in this forum which explained it very good but I forgot who it wrotes).

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

Love song is better than any song on honeymoon fight me

Here's an explicit list of Honeymoon songs that are better than Love Song:

1. Honeymoon
  2. Music To Watch Boys To
  3. Terrence Loves You
  4. God Knows I tried
  5. High By The Beach
  6. Freak
  7. Art Deco
  8. Burnt Norton (Interlude)
  9. Religion
  10. Salvatore
  11. The Blackest Day
  12. 24
  13. Swan Song
  14. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

7aOQ.gif

I really can't place what my opinion is on this album yet. It might take me a year or more. All I have to go off is that I listened to Lust for Life more when it came out and this album is making me obsessed with all her previous work again and I want it to stay that way so I don't get let down by WHF :hdu:

People who really think that NFR is better than Honeymoon and Ultraviolence are just delusional, and this is coming from someone who LIKES the album. But it has it flaws. It's not a perfect record. 

it kinda do be better than ultraviolence tho.......

CAUSE BACK IN SCHOOL

WE ARE THE LEADERS OF IT ALL

People who really think that NFR is better than Honeymoon and Ultraviolence are just delusional, and this is coming from someone who LIKES the album. But it has it flaws. It's not a perfect record. 

It's annoying how some people act like they have every right to pretend NFR is this masterpiece simply because critics praised it. If we actually cared about critics we would have to think Born to Die sucks. Now NFR is awesome of course but it's stupid to act like it's better than UV and Honeymoon.

It's annoying how some people act like they have every right to pretend NFR is this masterpiece simply because critics praised it. If we actually cared about critics we would have to think Born to Die sucks. Now NFR is awesome of course but it's stupid to act like it's better than UV and Honeymoon.

Exactly? Like all of a sudden we have to take into consideration what some a bunch of eDgY hIpStErS from Pitchfork actually thinks of Lana's music, give me a fucking break.

May God bless Honeymoon stans and their delusions.

The fact that they actually thinking that album is even on the same playing field as Norman Fucking God...

Go fight with Ultraviolence stans for #2 spot. Know your place.

post-9740-Jon-Stewart-shakes-head-gif-OH

UV has so many legendary songs (west coast, shades of cool, old money) but it also has the most skips for me, the choruses of black beauty, pretty when u cry and guns and roses bore me to death. nfr has higher highs and not as many lows as UV.

now honeymoon vs nfr on the other hand.. that’s tougher

all my wounds are due to love, to love, love, love

The flaws in NFR are obviously intentional though.. People just got different taste, different opinions, it doesn't make them "delusional". With that being said, anyone who hates on 'hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but I have it' is in fact delusional, cause 'hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but I have it' is objectively a masterpiece. It's a fact, you can't have "opinions" about the level of excellence of 'hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but I have it', cause its pure excellence is a fact. People are afraid to open up and accept true raw emotions. The honest emotional lyrics, the laid back production with full focus on her voice, the iconic title, everything about this song is objectively good and it's kinda embarrassing that people are still pretending that the song's anywhere near not a masterpiece. Thinking NFR is better than Honeymoon or Ultraviolence however, is a valid opinion, cause it's all about personal taste. You can't say one album's objectively "better" than the others, it depends on people's personal taste. I personally like the imperfections the record has, not everything has to be glossy. 

qfrWuBl.png

Exactly? Like all of a sudden we have to take into consideration what some a bunch of eDgY hIpStErS from Pitchfork actually thinks of Lana's music, give me a fucking break.

Norman Fucking God was met with universal acclaim and accolades! Meaning not only edgy hipsters from Pitchfork!

source.gif

The flaws in NFR are obviously intentional though.. People just got different taste, different opinions, it doesn't make them "delusional". With that being said, anyone who hates on 'hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but I have it' is in fact delusional, cause 'hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but I have it' is objectively a masterpiece. It's a fact, you can't have "opinions" about the level of excellence of 'hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but I have it', cause its pure excellence is a fact. People are afraid to open up and accept true raw emotions. The honest emotional lyrics, the laid back production with full focus on her voice, the iconic title, everything about this song is objectively good and it's kinda embarrassing that people are still pretending that the song's anywhere near not a masterpiece. Thinking NFR is better than Honeymoon or Ultraviolence however, is a valid opinion, cause it's all about personal taste. You can't say one album's objectively "better" than the others, it depends on people's personal taste. I personally like the imperfections the record has, not everything has to be glossy. 

So you mean to tell me that Lana (and her yes man Jack) intentionally made most of the instrumentals sound flat and dry, purposefully omitted bass on pretty much 99% of the album AND championed a very unequal, unpolished and uncooked approach for the production and mastering of the record? Hmmmmm sorry, but no.

Both Ultraviolence and Honeymoon are miles ahead in terms of recording quality and/or soundscape. They are timeless classics. Brooklyn Baby, Shades of Cool, West Coast, Sad Girl, Pretty When You Cry, Honeymoon, Music To Watch Boys To, Terrence Loves You, Salvatore and The Blackest Day (and even Heroine and Get Free) obliterate the production and mastering of every single songs on NFR.

I cannot actually believe that we are fighting over the production of this record when we have so much amazing music from Lana (as well as many of her contemporaries) to actually compare it too, like it's painfully obvious that the attention to detail to create a top notch atmospheric sound was totally lost on this record.

I don't need anyone's "bias" over at Pitchfork to convince me otherwise, I know Lana has had better production days. 

So you mean to tell me that Lana (and her yes man Jack) intentionally made most of the instrumentals sound flat and dry, purposefully omitted bass on pretty much 99% of the album AND championed a very unequal, unpolished and uncooked approach for the production and mastering of the record? Hmmmmm sorry, but no.

Both Ultraviolence and Honeymoon are miles ahead in terms of recording quality and/or soundscape. They are timeless classics. Brooklyn Baby, Shades of Cool, West Coast, Sad Girl, Pretty When You Cry, Honeymoon, Music To Watch Boys To, Terrence Loves You, Salvatore and The Blackest Day (and even Heroine and Get Free) obliterate the production and mastering of every single songs on NFR.

I cannot actually believe that we are fighting over the production of this record when we have so much amazing music from Lana (as well as many of her contemporaries) to actually compare it too, like it's painfully obvious that the attention to detail to create a top notch atmospheric sound was totally lost on this record.

I don't need anyone's "bias" over at Pitchfork to convince me otherwise, I know Lana has had better production days. 

she knows way too much about music and production for the nfr production to be an accident. 

Pretty sure there was a recent interview where she talked about how she kept having to push Jack to tone down the production and keep it in tune with a "folksy" sound. I do think NFR has the worst production in her discography (it's still good tho), but it's just the aesthetic she's going for.